General Construction Concerns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

Thanks Rob. Caveat, we're going this weekend narrow down to the model we want. There are options that the dealer won't have so we will need to order, BUT we won't do that until around February or March because if we order now, we take the risk of delivery over salt roads. And being a So Cal boy, we won't expose our trailer to that at anytime.

The damnable misery is, all the manufacturers are doing it this way. It is literally stupid to skimp on a bushing less than a penny that would protect the wire. That is just baffling to me. And in all honesty, this has kept me up at night. I love the GD product and the family. I've had so much fun with you guys. But this just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Maybe GDRV-Emily GDRV-Megan can shed some light on this, not to us, but executives at GD. The bottom line shouldn't sacrifice safety.
    Hi there!! I am just seeing this as I'm playing catch up after my vacation. Thanks for sharing this video over and voicing your concerns!! I know it's troubling to see this kind of stuff online. We are by no means perfect across the board, however it would be interesting to find out if we were ever contacted about this unit to find out if this was damaged or defect. Videos also do not necessarily portray lack o maintenance by owner (checking and maintaining seals), and also possible damage that was done by the owner.

It's very easy for an independent service center to nitpick every aspect of the way an entire unit is produced. There are processes that some independent service shops may not understand or agree with Grand Design while they are repairing items. This doesn't mean that it is wrong, it's just not what they have chosen to do personally.

We are 100,000+ units strong! We have very low records of roof concerns. Those that we do see or hear bout, are typically taken care of promptly by our team.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

Hi there!! I am just seeing this as I'm playing catch up after my vacation. Thanks for sharing this video over and voicing your concerns!! I know it's troubling to see this kind of stuff online. We are by no means perfect across the board, however it would be interesting to find out if we were ever contacted about this unit to find out if this was damaged or defect. Videos also do not necessarily portray lack o maintenance by owner (checking and maintaining seals), and also possible damage that was done by the owner.

It's very easy for an independent service center to nitpick every aspect of the way an entire unit is produced. There are processes that some independent service shops may not understand or agree with Grand Design while they are repairing items. This doesn't mean that it is wrong, it's just not what they have chosen to do personally.

We are 100,000+ units strong! We have very low records of roof concerns. Those that we do see or hear bout, are typically taken care of promptly by our team.
      Thanks for the reply Megan, and congrats BTW. A couple of the moderators, and even some members, can attest to that I've been following GDRV for a while. I have always respected their response with customers and working together to resolve issues. Heck, I've even defended GD based on your responses to customers. To focus more in on my original post, I wasn't so much pointing on the roofing defects. I can understand that.

Here are the two big things:

1) The roof truss that was cut an inch short and filled with staples.
      2) And this is a hard one for me with electrical background, the romex going down the metal conduit with not bushings. If you have an opportunity to look at the video again, you'll see the romex is tight against the edge of the metal conduit. Building code doesn't even allow for that, but if you're going to go that route, those edges need to be protected. It's such a simple process to add the bushings and they're dirt cheap.

Those are the primary issues that need to be brought to the attention of supervisors and workers. The roof truss issue, I don't even know how that happens. Not using the bushings is just negligent.

Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

All that I can say is that on the units going down the line, the trusses aren't cut short, they are pre-built by the supplier. We don't know what happened to this roof or the unit. There is nothing in our system regarding this issue on that unit.

What do you mean by missing romex bushings? Are you talking about the point in the video that's about at the 11:50/12:00 minute mark? We don't use a red plastic piece that the white wire is going through, we use 2" metal sleeves and nail plates to prevent wire rubbing. Here's a picture of the 2" metal sleeve and the nail plates:

Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	5632
        Is this answering your questions?

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
          All that I can say is that on the units going down the line, the trusses aren't cut short, they are pre-built by the supplier. We don't know what happened to this roof or the unit. There is nothing in our system regarding this issue on that unit.

What do you mean by missing romex bushings? Are you talking about the point in the video that's about at the 11:50/12:00 minute mark? We don't use a red plastic piece that the white wire is going through, we use 2" metal sleeves and nail plates to prevent wire rubbing. Here's a picture of the 2" metal sleeve and the nail plates:

Click image for larger version  Name:	roof.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.2 KB ID:	5632
          Is this answering your questions?
          Again, Megan, thank you for the response. This photo is very helpful.

So a quick description of the arrows in the photo below. I'm making an assumption (I know, I know. I know what assuming means) that the red arrow is pointing to a black Romex type wire. I'm also assuming that the blue arrow is a "metal sleeve". The area of concern is the where the green arrow points to. The wire will chafe on the edge of the "metal sleeve" and create an electrical hazard. I simple grommet in that location (like the red ones in the video) will prevent that hazard from occurring. Even the black wire can be susceptible to this. The grommet will also protect it.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a Negative Nancy here. That is not my intention. I love the GD product. I can accept the truss thing as being a weird fluke. This electrical one, however, is safety thing. It's a VERY simple fix. Actually,there are two ways to fix this. 1: use the grommet as previously mentioned or 2: replace the "metal sleeve" with a PVC sleeve. Either one will make it safe.

And now for the picture...

Click image for larger version  Name:	GD electrical.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.6 KB ID:	5642
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

OffToHavasu You make a good point!! I have passed your suggestions off to our product manager. We always appreciate the feedback and suggestions, especially when safety is being questioned!!

Comment

Thanks Megan...Please ask if they can implement it before December.
              2020 Momentum 351M
              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
              X