2021 303rls wasted space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 303rls wasted space?

I was looking at the 29rs and comparing to the 303rls and wondered why GD did not put a small compartment door behind the fireplace. The 29rs has outdoor kitchen in that location and the only difference I see is there on opposite sides. I looked behind my fireplace and if they ran the wiring differently they could of put an outside door/hatch that one could store there electrical cord, Measuring looks like it could be at least 10" deep. Has anyone else seen that wasted space? I would use the room for power cord, surge protector and 50 to 30 amp dog bone this would eliminate 1 large tote I have just for that.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Dennis66
    Hi Dennis,

I have often looked at that empty space and wondered how I could make use of it. Your idea could certainly create usable storage in a good location, for the items you mention. I will forward your idea to Grand Design.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Ill bet someone could cut a hatch door and trim it out use the piece you cut as the door, Im sure could find pre built compartment to install. My wife would kill me if I got my saws out since we only have 300 miles on it. I have seen that done I would not trust my dealer but perhaps GD could do it.
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Dennis66

I have forwarded your idea to Grand Design . . . we will see if there is any interest. In the Grand Design way of doing an exterior wall opening, this would require a wall framing change. Every opening in an exterior wall is framed with aluminum square tube. They even put plastic corner radius pieces into the frame where an opening will be located. This allows the manufacturing process to cut exact openings using a router that follows the aluminum frame plus the correct corner radius. This also creates a full wall frame surrounding the opening, for the window/hatch/door to attach to.

As a retrofit . . . securing the door frame to just the thin exterior skin with only foam insulation backing it up would not be as robust . . . although, I understand that other RV manufacturers do this. I like the idea of a pre-built compartment that could be inserted . . . I wonder where we could find one of these?

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Dennis66

I have forwarded your idea to Grand Design . . . we will see if there is any interest. In the Grand Design way of doing an exterior wall opening, this would require a wall framing change. Every opening in an exterior wall is framed with aluminum square tube. They even put plastic corner radius pieces into the frame where an opening will be located. This allows the manufacturing process to cut exact openings using a router that follows the aluminum frame plus the correct corner radius. This also creates a full wall frame surrounding the opening, for the window/hatch/door to attach to.

As a retrofit . . . securing the door frame to just the thin exterior skin with only foam insulation backing it up would not be as robust . . . although, I understand that other RV manufacturers do this. I like the idea of a pre-built compartment that could be inserted . . . I wonder where we could find one of these?

Rob
          I have one, Rob. I bought it (yes, paid $$ it wasn't given to me) from GD while at the factory service center before attempting to install the RVLock in the underbed storage door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	door.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	54884

For anyone that wants to duplicate a door on their trailer, the key is the RPO number that you'll find on a sticker. Call Lippert and provide that RPO and they will know exactly the door you're referencing.

Name:	RPO.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	54885

I've often contemplated where to use this door (since I didn't need it for the underbed storage project). Behind the fireplace might be perfect on my 315RLTS since the slide configuration is similar to your 303RLS.

AS IT EXISTS TODAY

Name:	As Is (Large).jpg
Views:	339
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	54887

PHOTOSHOP MOCK UP

Name:	Mock Up (Large).jpg
Views:	339
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	54886
          So get busy and figure out how to do this! You're a wizard at installs like this--bet it would be amazing and I'll shamelessly copy whatever you do.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Dennis66 Dennis, I made the same suggestion after seeing BTBRV do a review on his new unit and he had them install a door on the backside like that. He added a cord reel and a few other things to make it a usable space.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

That's what I need I was thinking cord real, (manual one) great place for it.
              2021 Reflection 303RLS
              Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

howson

Grand Design OEM hatches are designed to fasten to a perimeter aluminum frame (as they use for all production openings). There are aftermarket hatches (I think) that use an inner frame to capture the unsupported wall (luan/foam/luan) and the inner and outer frames clamp together. To use an OEM door like you have, would require inserting some type of "frame" in place of the foam around the opening. This could be done by removing some of the foam and inserting pieces of hardwood set in epoxy. I have done this on a boat . . . not "easy" . . . but, doable.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  I have done this on a boat . . . not "easy" . . . but, doable.
                  Exactly why we need Professor Farrow to document how to do this so us mortals can also do it.

If were to even contemplate tackling something like this I'd get a junk panel and wall from a scrap yard to practice. But that's a dream for some distant day...calendar is full through the end of the year.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

yep just a dream need to enjoy it the way it is, just the engineer in me to change things, would be nice to see GD incorporate this in next or 2 model years down the road.
                    2021 Reflection 303RLS
                    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

This would for sure be a great addition but ,,,, The model 303RL already has a weight issue on that side , 500# or so heavier than the other side. Adding this storage and resulting "stuff" would put more weight on that side. Then Rob would have to recalculate spring arch and weight distribution to counter this effect.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

That was the first thing I thought of with that being the heavy slide you may get someone that fills it with firewood, GD just trying to catch the 1% of the people.
                        2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Well the stuff I want to put in there is already on that side of the camper anyway. Primary thing would be that it's over the axles or back thus it's not on the hitch.

The biggest things would be water hose and electrical anaconda.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Well the stuff I want to put in there is already on that side of the camper anyway. Primary thing would be that it's over the axles or back thus it's not on the hitch.

The biggest things would be water hose and electrical anaconda.
                            Oooo....a 50A cord reel in that space would be awesome (if it would fit). Have it recessed just a bit so the male plug stays "outside", then a cover that secures in place that's flush with the exterior of the camper. Wouldn't that be convenient!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                              This would for sure be a great addition but ,,,, The model 303RL already has a weight issue on that side , 500# or so heavier than the other side. Adding this storage and resulting "stuff" would put more weight on that side. Then Rob would have to recalculate spring arch and weight distribution to counter this effect.

Brian
                              Yes, Brian - you are right on. Rob and I and many others have shared numbers since 2014/2015 with these floor plans. Our 303 was 560 lbs. heavier on the street side right out of the box. Many when loaded shared numbers close to or over 1000 lbs. with 303s, 337s, and similar Solitude floor plans.

Rob Cate&Rob would be working overtime calculating and modifying but it would be REALLY good !

Dan
                              Last edited by Canyonlight; 05-25-2021, 09:50 AM.
                              Dan & Carol
                              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                              X