Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peeling ceiling panels at cross connection - how to repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peeling ceiling panels at cross connection - how to repair?

We just completed a 4000 mile round trip from heck, across some very rough roads (I 20 through Louisiana). Durango CO to Statesboro GA with a side Mississippi trip. Today while updating my MultiPlus I happened to look up and noticed an issue with a ceiling panel at one of the cross seams. This location is above the chase lounge above the table first seam from Bath wall towards the rear. I am guessing the rough ride caused motion in the ceiling panels How do I fix this and how are the cross seams attached? I physically have not got on a ladder yet to check the situation out. Otherwise this first real shake down trip the trailer did fairly well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679s.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	64949
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680s.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	64950
    I was thinking a putty knife but I don't want to tear the cover fabric/vinyl. Also how are theses cross seam members attached - I don't see any fasteners. I am assuming they are H shaped to hold the panels in place. Once I do get the cover fabric back in place is there a way to keep it from happening again? Don't want to create another problem..

Thanks for any help.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda Hi, looking at the strip and the ceiling panels in our rig it appears to me as if the strip is just flat and covers the joint between two ceiling panels. I see the infamous staples and concealer along the seam strip. Your idea of an "H" type strip is fantastic and could be correct, however, as we all know that kind of thinking in the r.v. industry would be rare plus it would most likely cause a bump at each ceiling joist where the ends of the panels seem to be stapled. As a thought you might try a hair dryer to warm the material and use your putty knife to ease the material back into place then a little super glue on top of the trim piece to hold it in place. Good luck

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Yoda Keith it's either an H shaped piece or an h shaped piece (note does not capture both panels), or a T shaped pieced. To fix the bubble, find a plastic putty knife and round the edges to prevent cutting of the covering. Using a heat gun, slowly heat both the moulding and the covering using the putty knife to work the cover back under the moulding.

If you have to use a metal knife, round the edges and sand them smooth.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks folks
        I have a good heat gun howson made me get it for my solar install so now I have another use. I'll go slowly and document what I find. Thanks for the tips.
        Keith

On edit could be this be the piece? https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/35692
        Appears to clip on to something?
        Or is this it?
        https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/42396
        or
        https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/17882

Either way it looks easy enough to warm up and lift to get the ceiling panel vinyl back under it.
        Last edited by Yoda; 09-02-2021, 08:01 PM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith

The strip is a "T" shape as you have linked to. It is driven up between the ceiling panels with a rubber hammer of all things. It is a pretty tight fit and you may be able to pry it loose to pull down. If you can get it out you can just trim the the covering and install the strip back into the channel, just be careful that the panels do not fall down.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Keith

The strip is a "T" shape as you have linked to. It is driven up between the ceiling panels with a rubber hammer of all things. It is a pretty tight fit and you may be able to pry it loose to pull down. If you can get it out you can just trim the the covering and install the strip back into the channel, just be careful that the panels do not fall down.

Brian
            For some reason Humpty Dumpy came to mind

Comment

Working...
            X