Mattress weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattress weight

We bought a used 2018 Solitude 310GK and it came with a king sized bed.
    All our linens are queen size plus the king size seemed VERY large se we bought a queen mattress. They even took away the old king mattress. Tokk them about 5 minutes!
    And I cut 3" off each side of the platform so the queen fits nicely.

BUT, the queen mattress seems much heavier/stiffer than the king size. I don't know the weight but it was very heavy to pick up so I am guessing 100+ lbs.
    My concern/question is what is the load rating for the schwintek slide on the bedroom in a 2018 301GK. Right now the slide goes in and out OK. Just concerned about long term.
    Also the mattress is firm/thick enough that it does not bend in the middle when you lift the platform up. Not a major issue but something of a surprise.

Thanks for any comments and knowledge.
    2018 Ram 3500 SRW short bed w Aisin transmission & Companion RVK3670 slider
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK bought used 2022-01

Not sure of the weight restrictions where a general statement would be to not load up the Schwintek too much. We used to load up the underseat storage areas with drinks and such but after one motor failure we moved away from this. If you ever decide to look at another mattress, our Mattress Insider model was only slightly heavier than the original with night and day improvement on comfort. The lift system works the same with the new mattress as it did with the old one.

Jim

Comment

I have a question related to the weight of the mattress. I am looking to install gas cylinders to raise the bed to access the space underneath. Can someone tell me what the correct cylinder would be to achieve this. We have a full mattress on the platform. Thanks
      John and Nikki
      2017 Chevy 2500 HD CC 4x4
      2019 Reflection 295RL 5th Wheel Series 150

Comment

Originally posted by pnwguy View Post
        I have a question related to the weight of the mattress. I am looking to install gas cylinders to raise the bed to access the space underneath. Can someone tell me what the correct cylinder would be to achieve this. We have a full mattress on the platform. Thanks
        What model RV do you have?

I think that all GD RV's have the lift cylinders already installed.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

pnwguy

There is no one answer to this question. It depends on the geometry of the strut installation and the weight of the mattress. Struts come in different strengths from 80 to 150 lb force. To get our bed to lift easily, I have two struts on each side. If you go with the stronger struts, you may have to reinforce the attachment points. Ask me how I know this .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have a fifth wheel 150 series 295RL. I don’t have struts install.
            Ill bite, how do you know this?
            John and Nikki
            2017 Chevy 2500 HD CC 4x4
            2019 Reflection 295RL 5th Wheel Series 150

Comment

pnwguy -- it would help it you'd take a moment to read the Welcome Letter to New Members where you'll learn about tagging and how to fill out your signature line. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Cate&Rob -- post 6 is for you.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

pnwguy

Our Reflection 303RLS came with 40 lb struts that lifted the lightweight original mattress. We added a mattress topper and I upgraded to 120 lb struts to lift the mattress and topper. Then we replaced the original mattress and topper with an 8" foam mattress. For this, I added another pair of 80 lb struts.

Rob
                Attached Files
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X