Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split cabinet frame - repair or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split cabinet frame - repair or replace?

One of the screws securing a drawer slide rail appears to have split the wood frame. I'm concerned that the dealer is just going to use some hi-tech wood glue or something similar and tell me it's "fixed." Can something like this be reasonably repaired or does the entire piece of wood and/or cabinet need to be replaced? I keep my trailers a long time (last one was 18 years) and I've got to think that over time this split in the frame will get to the point it won't support that drawer slide.

Sorry for the blurred image - I didn't notice until I got back from the storage yard -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked cabinet-drawer slider2.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	75607
    Mike and Rebecca
    2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
    2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Mike, You can repair the face frame with some glue, then install a reinforcing strip to to bottom. By looking into the slots of the full extension slide you should see additional mounting holes. If you can make the reinforcing strip wide enough to allow you to use another hole at the front to help keep it in position.

BTW it looks like the screw used to hold the front of the guide may be a bit larger than needed. Those slide typically come with small screws.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

This happens when the hole is not pre-drilled for the screw. Sister a block on the inside a pick another hole in the slide to attach it to the block. If you have the tools, use pocket screws to mount whatever size block is needed.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Jlawles2 and TedS thanks for both of those comments! Between the two I think I can visualize the repair. Glue the crack itself, then see if there is room to mount a new piece of wood behind that split frame. Secure that with glue and screws and then secure the drawer slide into that new block of wood. Now to see what the dealer comes up with!
        Mike and Rebecca
        2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
        2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Mike & Rebecca , you could even run a stringer from the back of the face frame to the frame piece at the back of the cabinet where the back end of the drawer rail is attached.. Parallel to and against the drawer rail.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
          X