Window Trim Warped/falling off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Trim Warped/falling off

My 2020 Solitude 310 has a problem with the window trim. The fabric covered pieces are warped and the entire trim pieces have fallen off of three windows. The nails are tiny and can’t hold up to any travel. What do I need to do to get the warped pieces replaced.
    Chuck

Originally posted by clsfly View Post
    My 2020 Solitude 310 has a problem with the window trim. The fabric covered pieces are warped and the entire trim pieces have fallen off of three windows. The nails are tiny and can’t hold up to any travel. What do I need to do to get the warped pieces replaced. Chuck
    On our 2018 Solitude 310GK these trim pieces were attached with something called a "pin nailer" - something that shoots tiny pieces of wire instead of nails. Nearly all of ours fell off in the first six months of use / travel... completely inadequate. Surprising that two years later Grand Design is apparently still doing the same thing.

I've reattached ours with a proper 16-gauge finish nailer and they're still attached.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

GDRV-Megan , GDRV-Emily

Can you make sure that this information is fed back to the factory?

clsfly - This is an item that your dealer should be able to resolve. If you want to try to repair it yourself, post some pictures and I'll bet the forum members can come up with a good repair method.

​​​​​​​Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        GDRV-Megan , GDRV-Emily

Can you make sure that this information is fed back to the factory?

clsfly - This is an item that your dealer should be able to resolve. If you want to try to repair it yourself, post some pictures and I'll bet the forum members can come up with a good repair method.

Jim
        Thanks for the info! We have passed this off to production so they are aware. Please let us know if you need help with getting parts/etc through your dealer.

Comment

clsfly can you please send me your VIN so that our production team has all the information for your unit?

Comment

We have had the same issue. We purchase a 2020 VIN 573fs3628L9903780 purchased July 1st. ALL our trim has fallen off our windows. We purchased the Solitude because it was sold as the upgrade/higher quality rig.
            Our first issue was the ‘upgraded’ king mattress. We had to replace it within 5 weeks. When we showed the mattress to the dealership they just said that’s what you get for the king size upgrade. You could see were my husband (128 pounds) and I each slept. Not good.
            the second issue has been the trim.
            But over all we are happy with our Grand Design and do recommend it to other travelers.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinkelly1 View Post
              We have had the same issue. We purchase a 2020 VIN 573fs3628L9903780 purchased July 1st. ALL our trim has fallen off our windows. We purchased the Solitude because it was sold as the upgrade/higher quality rig.
              Our first issue was the ‘upgraded’ king mattress. We had to replace it within 5 weeks. When we showed the mattress to the dealership they just said that’s what you get for the king size upgrade. You could see were my husband (128 pounds) and I each slept. Not good.
              But over all we are happy with our Grand Design and do recommend it to other travelers.
              Welcome to the forum, Erinkelly.

You won't get any argument from anyone on the OEM-supplied mattress. If I had a vote they'd stop supplying one and let the new owner buy their own.

Did you put the trim back up yourself? If so, how did you fix it? Any insight you can share may be helpful to others (as boyscout did in a earlier post in this thread).
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Erinkelly1 View Post
                Good morning! I apologize for the issue with your trim falling down. Production has told me that we have switched to a longer headless pin nail about 4 months ago. I have provided your VIN to them so that they are aware of that issue, but according to the offline date, they have changed the pin nails. They are suggesting that if you haven't made the repair to putting the trim up, you can do so by using regular pin nails and putty the holes.

As far as the mattress dissatisfaction, do you still have the mattress? If so, can you please private message me some pictures of the mattress. I am specifically looking for a picture with a straight edge (not a tape measure) showing where the mattress dips in and a picture of the label on your mattress.

Thank you!

Comment

VIN 573FS3627L9903429
                  This is a late response...... I have a case # from Austin Paulus and GD is supposed to send replacement trim to correct the warped pieces. Case: 52208, not sure of the ETA. I can renail with larger brads and glue.

I now have another issue with the bedroom windows on the curb side. There is no gap and the glass is rubbing together (the crank out glass and the emergency exit glass) I don't see any way to adjust the gap. Any ideas?
                  Last edited by clsfly; 01-21-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

VIN 573FS3627L9903429
                    This is a late response...... I have a case # from Austin Paulus and GD is supposed to send replacement trim to correct the warped pieces. Case: 52208, not sure of the ETA. I can renail with larger brads and glue.

I now have another issue with the bedroom windows on the curb side. There is no gap and the glass is rubbing together (the crank out glass and the emergency exit glass) I don't see any way to adjust the gap. Any ideas?
                    GDRV-Megan -- I believe this was directed at you without the quote or tag.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

VIN 573FS3627L9903429

Could you provide a picture? Thanks!

Comment

My 2018 has the same problem. I have purchased mine used, but it has very little useable. All of the down legs of the window trim on ALL the windows in the living and dining area have fallen off and as a result are gone. This is a Solitude ST377MBS. So disappointing, especially to see the particular board construction. The little staple construction sucks.

Comment

My 2019 Solitude 310 VIN 573FS3626K9903047 has the same issue... attached pictures are 2 that I have removed. 2-3 others are warping. My fix is small "L" brackets screwed onto the facing piece ( the one covered by fabric) and then screw the bracket to the other piece. If I can't make it work, I'm tempted to just remove the framing altogether.
                          Cindy
                          2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Dualy
                          2022 Solitude 3330RE
                          Cindy & Xena

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy View Post
                            My 2019 Solitude 310 VIN 573FS3626K9903047 has the same issue... attached pictures are 2 that I have removed. 2-3 others are warping. My fix is small "L" brackets screwed onto the facing piece ( the one covered by fabric) and then screw the bracket to the other piece. If I can't make it work, I'm tempted to just remove the framing altogether.
                            Cindy
                            and here are the pictures I forgot to add....
                            Cindy
                            2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Dualy
                            2022 Solitude 3330RE
                            Cindy & Xena

Comment

Working...
                            X