Motorcycle chock installation 328m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle chock installation 328m

I just bought a 2017 328m with a 10' garage. I want to install a motorcycle chock for my 900# Harley. Is it difficult to access the underside of the garage floor? Where can I get schematics?

That is a great question.
    I have a 2022 381MS and an pondering the exact same thing.
    My current chock is mounted to a piece of 17/32" (or 19mm) piece of OSB (Oriented Strand Board).
    This arrangement is not permanently mounted to the garage floor.
    This sorta holds the chock in place when I ride the Harley up on it. The OSB is not a full 8 ft (need to fix that when lumber comes down to a more reasonable price).
    I do screw the chock/OSB down in the 12 ft utility trailer when transporting the bike in the util. trailer.

My current thoughts are (in no particular order)
    Will the permanent installation devalue the coach? Maybe, unless I can figure out how to patch the holes.
    Will a permanent thing be a trip hazard when I have guests? Yep.
    Will a permanent thing be in the way when using the garage for a 2nd BR or whatever? Yep.

I am leaning towards another piece of OSB with a new 2nd chock mounted to the OSB.
    I could move the chock/OSB to one side. Or flip it on its side. Store under the coach, etc.
    There are tie downs where I could secure the chock/OSB when loading the bike to keep the chock from moving forward when loading.
    Then remove those straps and secure the bike by four points to the tie downs.

There is a GD Utuber who rides and Indian (Similar size as an Ultra/Limited). I do not believe their chock is permanently mounted. They also use the garage as an road office.

I think I went over my $0.02.
    Thanks for helping me work out my ideas. Hope this helps.
    Guess I need to add the Harley's to my signature.

Steve
    2022 Momentum 381MS
    2024 F-350 Platinum DRW
    Reese Elite 27K Puck System
    Garmin RV890 & DashCam 57

Comment

OOPS. Sorry.
      I never answered your question. I sorta hijacked you post, too. I was just rambling on. I blame it on lack of caffeine.😳☕

GD should be able to help with schematics or you could remove a piece or two of the underbelly and peek in.
      My underbelly is coroplast (corrugated plastic, same stuff they make yard signs out of).
      The underbelly is usually secured with a strap of metal and some self tapping screws.
      Wiring and plumbing are not really ran in a specific location. Could be anywhere!
      Way too many stories of running a screw through you tank, plumbing, or wiring when trying to install something.

Hope this answers your question better than the 1st post.

Steve
      2022 Momentum 381MS
      2024 F-350 Platinum DRW

Comment

Steve brings up several good points and is correct about contacting GD directly for the structural drawing of the floor. J and K Petersen you will need to have your VIN handy and promise not to share the proprietary drawing with anyone.

Not sure what chock Steve has, but several models seem to have an anchor plate that is relatively flat that you attach to the deck, and then a removable top section. The anchor plate can then be covered with a rug to help with appearance and reduce tripping. Something to look for when deciding on a chock.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Hi Steve,
          Thanks for the thoughts. I add my own below.
          I also thought about mounting to plywood, maybe set against the front wall, and tying it down. My RV is still at the dealer because my truck is on order and the dealer is adding some things to it. I'm waiting for an appointment to drop off the chock and discuss how they will mount it. I bought a 2nd Condor PS1500 chock (1st is screwed to my garage floor) and a TK-3000 adaptor plus a reinforcing steel bar that bolts through the floor - the bar goes underneath. I wonder if two bolts through 5/8" plywood will take the beating. I'm hoping there is a frame member to attach it to. Condor (condor-lift.com) also has E-track adaptors. One option is to just screw the E-track to the floor or bolt it through the floor. If I can easily get access to the underside I'm tempted to mount it myself once I get the RV to my home.

I also have a 2017 Ultra, but a Limited. Hope you enjoy your adventures.

Joe

Comment

Joe,
            I just have a chock I bought from Cycle Gear moons ago.
            Pretty close to this one.:
            https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...sku_id=1127304
            Works for my applications.
            I will have to think long and hard about what I hard mount to this coach.
            Drilling that first hole through it...kinda like the first scratch....😮

Enjoy.

Steve
            2022 Momentum 381MS
            2024 F-350 Platinum DRW

Comment

Originally posted by J and K Petersen View Post
              I just bought a 2017 328m with a 10' garage. I want to install a motorcycle chock for my 900# Harley. Is it difficult to access the underside of the garage floor? Where can I get schematics?
              J and K Petersen FWIW I haul a ~550 lb BMW GS in the garage of our 320G using a Harbor Freight wheel chock simply sitting on a 1/2” thick rubber mat and using four tie-downs (2 front/2 rear). Simple, effective, and no drilling. The bike does not move and zero stability issues in approx 11,000 miles of towing over some of the roughest roads in the East and Midwest. We just move chock out of the way after unloading the bike and we have full access to the garage.
              Chuck & Vicki
              2021 Momentum 320G w/ 8,000 lb axles & disc brakes
              VIN: 573FM3822M1119697
              2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Thanks to all for the feedback. That really helps. Happy Trails !!!

Comment

I am a newer member just catching up on some threads so it may be too late but I have found the best mounting system but it's only for Harleys as their frame is how it attaches. Check out B&W hitches "Biker Bar". My Momentum has no generator so I just pulled the forward fuel tank and stored it in my barn. The biker bar attaches to the frame more or less in the middle under the bike. Drill two holes in the floor and attach mounting plates under the garage floor. A bar clamps to the frame then just ride in and snaps into the base. No straps ever! Bike never moves even over our terrible freeways. Hope this helps anyone who is still searching for the ultimate security for their precious cargo! Keep on truckin!
                  2023 Momentum 351MS pulled by Casper, Tri-Coat Platinum 2012 F350 Super Cab single RW 4WD. Toys: 2003 Screaming Eagle Deuce, 2003 Screamin Eagle Roadking, 2017 CVO Ultra Limited. Secured in garage with B&W Biker Bars.

Comment

Working...
                  X