Refrigerator going in and out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator going in and out

Hello all. I have the 2022 Transend Xplorer 221RB. The fridge and freezer are going in and out. They get cold and then not, back and forth. How can I troubleshoot this? I am new to camper ownership. The dealer did a pretty good job with the walk through and explaining everything, but not the nitty gritty details. For example. I know the fridge will run on the solar battery, but just as a back up right. How is the fridge powered on a regular basis? I am currently at a campground and hooked up to campsite power. Thank you for any help.
    Craig
    Craig Avery
    2022 Transend Xplorer 221RB

Originally posted by cavery View Post
    Hello all. I have the 2022 Transend Xplorer 221RB. The fridge and freezer are going in and out. They get cold and then not, back and forth. How can I troubleshoot this? I am new to camper ownership. The dealer did a pretty good job with the walk through and explaining everything, but not the nitty gritty details. For example. I know the fridge will run on the solar battery, but just as a back up right. How is the fridge powered on a regular basis? I am currently at a campground and hooked up to campsite power. Thank you for any help.
    Craig
    Hi Craig -- welcome to GD's technical forum. Check out the Welcome Letter when you get a chance (and fill out your signature line).

First thing to check is if the misnamed Battery Disconnect is on. "On" means the key cannot be removed. It's the large red key looking thing in the passthru, street side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery disconnect.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	104890

When the Battery Disconnect is on and the camper is connected to shore power, a device called a converter should keep your battery charged (along with the solar panel--they will work together). With the battery voltage high enough, the refrigerator should not cycle as described.

I can go into more detail if you'd like, but for now suggest to go check the disconnect and then document what you find.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard, thank you for the response. I have filled out the signature line.
      Call it beginners foolishness, but I turned the key to off because I was hooked up to camp power. So, I assume that is the problem and that I need to keep it in the on position
      Craig Avery

Comment

Howard, thank you for the response. I have filled out the signature line.
        Call it beginners foolishness, but I turned the key to off because I was hooked up to camp power. So, I assume that is the problem and that I need to keep it in the on position
        Leave it "On" at all times, Craig. The converter in your trailer takes 120vAC and converts it to 12vDC keeping the battery charged. The converter works with the solar so no need to isolate either one--they will cooperate without any intervention on your part.

What was happening is the battery power dropped overnight so the refrigerator, sensing the low voltage, cycled to a different mode. Solar charged the battery during the day so the refrigerator cycled back to normal mode.

There's almost no circumstance where it makes sense to turn the Battery Disconnect to "OFF"...because it doesn't completely disconnect the battery from the trailer. (Another topic for another day.)

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Awesome Howard. I assume I have to keep the switch on the inverter itself "on" as well. Thanks a million
          Craig
          Craig Avery

Comment

Awesome Howard. I assume I have to keep the switch on the inverter itself "on" as well. Thanks a million
            Craig
            The converter in your Transcend is probably an integral component of the Power Distribution Panel (example below). I suspect there's a circuit breaker labeled "Converter". So yes--leave that breaker on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	converter.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	104905

Howard & Francine

Comment

Okay. And what is this? Click image for larger version

Name:	66318.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	104907
              Craig Avery

Comment

Okay. And what is this? Click image for larger version

Name:	66318.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	104907
                That will be your Solar Charge Controller, this is not an Inverter.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                X