Boondocking with Furrion 12vDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

Those instructions from Furrion are (IMO) idiotic. No way I'd discharge a lead acid down that far on purpose.

The Linklite instructions (I'm sure it's the same unit with a different nameplate) are what I'd do. In short, set the battery capacity, charge the batteries to their full capacity, and then synchronize the monitor.

See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0235#post80235

Howard
    Not the same monitor. I tried the "setup" instructions on the Linklite but my unit is not functioning the same way.
    Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
    2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
    2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

Originally posted by jbt816 View Post

Not the same monitor. I tried the "setup" instructions on the Linklite but my unit is not functioning the same way.
      OK, access the menu per the Furrion's instructions and set up the capacity, etc, but I still would not deplete the battery down to 10.5V. That's a sure way to damage the battery. There must be a way to synchronize the Furrion to 100%, is there not?

I'm not an engineer or battery guru, but I know enough to state that depleting a lead acid battery bank to that level is asking for trouble.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

OK, access the menu per the Furrion's instructions and set up the capacity, etc, but I still would not deplete the battery down to 10.5V. That's a sure way to damage the battery. There must be a way to synchronize the Furrion to 100%, is there not?

I'm not an engineer or battery guru, but I know enough to state that depleting a lead acid battery bank to that level is asking for trouble.
        The instructions are saying do not go below 10.5%. Any recommendations on what I should drain the batteries down to?

Comment

The instructions are saying do not go below 10.5%. Any recommendations on what I should drain the batteries down to?
          Don't drain them at all. Certainly not to 10.5v. Charge them to 100% and then synchronize the monitor.

TucsonJim has been at this much longer than yours truly and it was his Battery 101 presentation where I first learned about this topic. What's your take on this, Jim?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Don't drain them at all. Certainly not to 10.5v. Charge them to 100% and then synchronize the monitor.

TucsonJim has been at this much longer than yours truly and it was his Battery 101 presentation where I first learned about this topic. What's your take on this, Jim?
            I would suggest against a full discharge to 10.5VDC. However, I've accidentally done it in the past with no apparent detrimental effects. I'd suggest you read the attached article and decide whether you want to risk possibly damaging the batteries.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/lead...attery-damage/

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I would suggest against a full discharge to 10.5VDC. However, I've accidentally done it in the past with no apparent detrimental effects.
              Jim
              I was thinking about 11.6v, not 10.5. The monitor would then be told what was zero.

I read the article. Thx.

Comment

I was thinking about 11.6v, not 10.5. The monitor would then be told what was zero.

I read the article. Thx.
                I think you'd be fine with that number. And it makes sense to go a little higher so you aren't flirting with dead batteries.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The compressor fridges have an auto cut off on the input voltage if I remember from some of the post. This will be your absolute minimum voltage that the fridge will continue to run at. I would set this as my minimum. NOTE during power consumption you can get what's refered to as "battery sag". Battery Sag is when the amp draw causes the voltage to drop but when draw is reduced or eliminated the voltage magically comes back up. You will need to monitor the battery during draw and non draw to see what the min voltage needs to be. I'd set it at non draw voltage to be a bit on the safer side.

The monitor will then tell you how much amperage has been used and you can then set that as battery capacity for percentage monitoring.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    The compressor fridges have an auto cut off on the input voltage if I remember from some of the post. This will be your absolute minimum voltage that the fridge will continue to run at. I would set this as my minimum. NOTE during power consumption you can get what's refered to as "battery sag". Battery Sag is when the amp draw causes the voltage to drop but when draw is reduced or eliminated the voltage magically comes back up. You will need to monitor the battery during draw and non draw to see what the min voltage needs to be. I'd set it at non draw voltage to be a bit on the safer side.

The monitor will then tell you how much amperage has been used and you can then set that as battery capacity for percentage monitoring.
                    I've done some more research this evening and see that the two smaller refrigerators have a minimum voltage of 10.5v (interestingly that's the same no-go voltage for the Furrion battery monitor). I have not found a minimum voltage for the 16cuft model that I have. I will continue to do some research but at this point I'm leaning on setting the battery monitor at 11.6 as a minimum.

Comment

Working...
                    X