Refrigerator problem (Norcold 4-door)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator problem (Norcold 4-door)

Hello everyone. New to site but I have an issue. I own a GDS 2022 280 RK fifth wheel. My refrigerator runs on propane or electric. The problem. When running on propane, when i close the slide the refrigerator starts to beep and dis play says NO FL
    So just for kicks I turned on the stove which is right next to refrigerator. After closing the slide I have no flame. So that tells me that something is getting pinched. Crawled underneath, and found the propane line. I had an extra person close the slide and it folds in with the rest of the lines. No kinks. But it goes up into the trailer which I cannot see with a solid black gas pipe.

Does anyone have an idea of where I start with next? The dealer says they couldn't find a problem. I asked did you check this or that and he said I don't know, I don't have any mechanic notes. From there I'm lost.

Not sure if this helps but it is a Norcold 4 door residential size refrigerator.
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 08-07-2023, 11:22 AM. Reason: Added more descriptive title. TJim (Moderator)

Originally posted by 2Amy View Post
    Hello everyone. New to site but I have an issue. I own a GDS 2022 280 RK fifth wheel. My refrigerator runs on propane or electric. The problem. When running on propane, when i close the slide the refrigerator starts to beep and dis play says NO FL
    So just for kicks I turned on the stove which is right next to refrigerator. After closing the slide I have no flame. So that tells me that something is getting pinched. Crawled underneath, and found the propane line. I had an extra person close the slide and it folds in with the rest of the lines. No kinks. But it goes up into the trailer which I cannot see with a solid black gas pipe.

Does anyone have an idea of where I start with next? The dealer says they couldn't find a problem. I asked did you check this or that and he said I don't know, I don't have any mechanic notes. From there I'm lost.

Not sure if this helps but it is a Norcold 4 door residential size refrigerator.
    Wow--a repeatable issue and the "dealer couldn't find a problem"?

Is the trailer still under warranty? If so, I suggest calling GD Customer Service (number on right side of home page). Ask for authorization to get a mobile technician to look at the issue. (You most likely will have to pay the technician the full amount up front and GD will reimburse everything but the "service fee", or the charge to come to you.)

If you do hire an RV technician for this propane issue, depending on where you're located it might be a state requirement to be licensed to repair propane-related equipment. Might want to check and, if required, make sure the person you hire has the appropriate credentials.

To be very specific in response to your question, the line that provides propane to the refrigerator and stove is at the end of the distribution system. The line is a 1/4" x 110" flex line that goes up to a "T". The refrigerator is fed by a 1/4" by 48" line off that "T" and the cooktop by a 1/4" by 36" flex hose. Since both the stove and refrigerator stop working with the slide in, that 110" flex line is likely the one getting pinched.

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 07-14-2023, 05:46 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for your help. Yes it is under warranty.

Comment

Okay, I kinda wanted to see if i could figure out my pinched hose.. I pulled the stove out and there was no sign. I found the line that went to the refrigerator and its fine . Crawled underneath again and this time i went through the whole hose foot by foot and wallah I found where it was pinched at. Now it works great. Now some might say since its under warranty to take it in. However the last time I took it in for this I was charged a diagnostic fee of $209.00. Because they couldn't find the problem. At that time I called Grand design and they just referred me to another dealer 120 miles away. And the other issue of taking it in is that they tie your rig up for 6 to 8 weeks.

But I do have to take it in or a piece on the door which they ordered from Grand Design. When I make the appointment I am going to request a a one day in and out service. Not sure they'll give it to me but i will beg plead. And then I will mention that you have some stupid mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Amy View Post
          Okay, I kinda wanted to see if i could figure out my pinched hose.. I pulled the stove out and there was no sign. I found the line that went to the refrigerator and its fine . Crawled underneath again and this time i went through the whole hose foot by foot and wallah I found where it was pinched at. Now it works great. Now some might say since its under warranty to take it in. However the last time I took it in for this I was charged a diagnostic fee of $209.00. Because they couldn't find the problem. At that time I called Grand design and they just referred me to another dealer 120 miles away. And the other issue of taking it in is that they tie your rig up for 6 to 8 weeks.

But I do have to take it in or a piece on the door which they ordered from Grand Design. When I make the appointment I am going to request a a one day in and out service. Not sure they'll give it to me but i will beg plead. And then I will mention that you have some stupid mechanics.
          I'd send a picture of the pinched line to that dealer and ask for my money back. If they refuse? File a complaint with your local BBB and a make a call to Grand Design to see if they will intervene with their dealer (I doubt it, but worth a call).

While I understand the sentiment...might want to skip the "stupid mechanics" part. Kind of like yelling at the waiter in a restaurant--not a good idea. Patient persistence seems to be required when dealing with anything RV-related.

If nothing else, I'm glad you found the issue and can now get it fixed. Personally I'd insist on a new line now that the existing one has been pinched over and over. Please keep the forum informed how it goes. The thing that makes this forum great is owners sharing information with other owners.

Howard
          Last edited by howson; 07-15-2023, 05:39 PM.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Okay. Thank you for the advise.When I go to the dealer I promise I will keep stupid out of it. And thank you for reminding me about patients. I will keep everyone informed when I go back for them to replace a warranty part.

Comment

Well first off dealerships do not have stupid mechanics, they have morons for technicians. And not all Technicians are equal. All it takes is getting the bad ones once or twice and you get a bad taste in your mouth for all of them.

As for the dealer charging you for not finding the problem under warranty, that is BAD PRACTICE. I'd file a complaint as mentioned with both GD and the BBB. If it were not in warranty, then I can see the charge.

That line should be replaced now that you have found the issue. Problem is no one can see through the layers to determine if it's been compromised internally.

Loosing you cool with the "NO, NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY" service writers or their bean counting bosses will get you no where. And since most dealerships are independently owned you have little help there unless the owner is sympathetic and understands. Not always does the owner know what is happening down in the trenches for bad practices.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'd send a picture of the pinched line to that dealer and ask for my money back. If they refuse? File a complaint with your local BBB and a make a call to Grand Design to see if they will intervene with their dealer (I doubt it, but worth a call).

While I understand the sentiment...might want to skip the "stupid mechanics" part. Kind of like yelling at the waiter in a restaurant--not a good idea. Patient persistence seems to be required when dealing with anything RV-related.

If nothing else, I'm glad you found the issue and can now get it fixed. Personally I'd insist on a new line now that the existing one has been pinched over and over. Please keep the forum informed how it goes. The thing that makes this forum great is owners sharing information with other owners.

Howard
                I had told you that I would let you know after I took my trailer back so they could install the part on the door that was under warranty. I was kind and polite and didn't use the word "Stupid" I brought my trailer in and the service advisor has been texting me about the door part had come in and wanted me to schedule an appointment and In the text he said we can discuss your refrigerator issue. So I bring it in and he doesn't even acknowledge me. Yes he was with a customer but at least say "I'll be right with you." Anyways he gets to me and I'm letting him do all the talking. He never once brought up the refrigerator. But he did say when you bought the trailer did they go over all your maintenance issues with you? I said no, all they cared about was making the sale and good by. He did discuss all the cost of having these owner maintenance items done. (Still have 8 months left on warranty) He stated that if the maintenance issues weren't documented by a certified dealer that my warranty would be void. I let him talk. He did want to do a roof inspection while I was there. (Before taking it in I did wash it) He said the roof looks good but the caulking should be white and is showing some cracks. (I have seen this type of cracking before on a previous motor home ) He did say that if you'd like we can take care of that for me for $1400. And that I wouldn't need it done again for years. He said he'd email me the pictures and to let him know.

Do you know now I am this guys new best friend. (I call it a friend out on convenience) Not a true friend.

During my 45 minutes of time he never did bring up the refrigerator. I didn't mention it because "sometimes I say the wrong word or two" I do know when I pick-it up he is going to ask me about the caulking, and what I decided. Really I'm not sure If I will bring up the refrigerator issue or not. But for $1400 ? He's crazy. After 5 years I derided to caulk the roof on my motor home, just before I sold it. I had begun peeling the old caulking up and got to noticing that just because its dirty looking and had a few cracks that it really didn't need replacing. I did it my self buying the self leveling caulk from Amazon for around $125.

And before leaving he wanted to know if I wanted to do some upgrading. (not sure if you know but Grand Design has some upgrades like axles with disk brakes, dual pane window Etc).

What a friend. Right? Last thing I will say. When warranty is expired I will not be using this shop ever again. Thanks for listening.

Comment

I completely understand your frustration. The more repairs and maintenance you can do yourself the less frustration you will experience. That's why forums like these are so important. Together we can do anything!
                  2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

2Amy -- unfortunately not a unique experience with an RV dealership. I'm not sure where to put them in relation to the "pay here" used car outfits, but IMO they're cut from the same cloth.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I do truly wish that your dealer was an isolated case, but it's not.

Unfortunately stories of RV dealerships are about as comical as used and new car dealerships when it comes to service and how they treat customers. Not all dealers are cut from the same cloth of used car dealerships, but let's just say the fabric is all made in the same factory. Some dealers are cut more from the sketchy scratchy bolts, some are from the more refined.

Hopefully you either find a good mobile tech to help with the things you cannot correct yourself or at least a decent half honest repair facility.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X