Microwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwave

We are on a cross country trip, and we need to replace the Furrion microwave with a different one. Can anyone recommend another brand and model that would fit and who might be able to install? Today in Anita IA, tomorrow in Sheffield IL then in Shipshenewa IN Wednesday to Sunday. Appreciate any/all suggestions. This was our 3rd and final Furrion. Don’t need convection. Just MW.
    Mike​

When ours died during travel, we bought a small countertop microwave to get us through until we could get the replacement. It was a pain, but it worked.

Just about any microwave of the same size and power requirements as the Furrion will work. Removal and installation is not hard, but it would be good idea to build a support for the microwave to set on while getting close to final position. Good idea to have helper for the final install. Microwaves are heavy and difficult for one person to hold up. If not particularly handy, check with the store you purchase the microwave from on installation service.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks John, yes we installed this last one and swore we won’t do that against n due to health reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Maltaman View Post
        ... then in Shipshenewa IN Wednesday to Sunday. Appreciate any/all suggestions.​
        Mike,
        If you're staying at a campground in Shipshewana, call ahead and ask for a mobile tech recommendation. Typically campgrounds have a list of local businesses that are known good resources.

Once you've got the mobile tech's info, they should be able to recommend a replacement. In the Shipshewana area there should be a plethora of local options.

Another possibility--Lazy Days RV of Elkhart is right off of I-90 which I assume is on your route. Give them a call and see if you can arrange an installation when you arrive ("in and out"). Who knows, they may say yes?

Finally, right next to Lazy Days is the Elkhart Campground. Bob is the guy that runs the place. If everything else doesn't work, see if he has a recommendation for a local technician. (You can probably get the microwave from Lazy Days next door.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	235
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	116889

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Great! Thanks a ton for all your suggestions!!

Comment

Huge shout out to Grand Design for quick response to email and recommended repair techs. Stan from Double Eagle in Shipshewana replaced our microwave with one I bought with professionalism, speed and friendliness. Thanks to all!

Comment

Update… At the next stop we opened the door and found the microwave had fallen on top of the stove. We are done with installing above stove microwaves. Bought a small countertop version to finish our trip.

Anyone have an idea on how to build just a small shelf above the stovetop in a 29RS?

Thank you.

Comment

So much for the professionalism of Stan from Double Eagle, which would have been my first call.

Seriously, I understand your frustration but I'm not sure completely abandoning the over stove microwave is the best solution. I suspect that the microwave also provided over stove lighting and most importantly an exhaust fan. If you are determined to stay with a countertop microwave, please look for a hood for the stove with at least an exhaust fan in it.
                John
                2018 Momentum 395M
                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

It looks like the installer may have cut a few corners. Is the MW still functional? If you could provide pictures perhaps we could troubleshoot what went wrong and make suggestions on how to properly install your MW. I'm sure you have someone willing to help you do the work and get it put together properly.
                  2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

I did contact Stan and he was willing to fix it IF I brought it back to his shop which is 4 hours retracing our steps. Not worth the delay in our plans.

we no longer have the microwave. There is no outside exhaust in this unit. It just recirculated into the coach. There is a Maxxair rooftop vent that we use when cooking. I will upload a picture of where it goes.

Thank you folks!

The first photo is with the original Furrion.
                    The second photo is with No Microwave.
                    The 3rd photo is looking up at the mounting board on the top of the slide.
                    Attached Files

Comment

My thoughts are that the replacement they installed was heavier than the original Furrion. They should have reinforced the back before installing the MW mounting hardware. Luckily your idea for a shelf and counter top MW looks promising because of the partitions on both sides. Hopefully someone with more carpenter experience than me will chime in with a great idea.
                      2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Actually the new one was lighter by 5 pounds and a little smaller.. It replaced a convection microwave which we never used the convection so we just bought a smaller wattage straight microwave.

Comment

By the looks of it, the two screws in the front failed. If these were removed and reinstalled during the change out process, the holes could have been compromised. Likewise during the new install, if the screws were even slightly over tightened into what appears to be MDF they can pull out.

I have a strange tendency to stick wooden matches and glue into holes that I am reusing in MDF or solid wood to help avoid the pulling out.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Maltaman View Post
                            I did contact Stan and he was willing to fix it IF I brought it back to his shop which is 4 hours retracing our steps.
                            "Stan" is not willing to let you get it fixed and reimburse you the cost? (Did you ask?)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I didn’t ask.We have spent so much time with multiple Furrion microwaves we are done and do not want another over the stove microwave again. Beyond reasonable time and effort has been expended on this one issue. Time for a change.

Comment

Working...
                              X