12v refrigerator replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v refrigerator replacement.

Can anyone tell me if I have to install an inverter to replace my 12v refrigerator with a household unit?

Originally posted by Mike53 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if I have to install an inverter to replace my 12v refrigerator with a household unit?
    Check and see if you actually have an outlet for ac. if yes then you will need an inverter if you want fridge to stay on during travel, or a power outage.
    2018 337RLS
    720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
    disc brakes, ems

Comment

Mike53 - If you plan on running it from the 12V batteries you'll need an inverter to power it.

I'm curious why you'd consider this change? My 20 cubic foot 12V refrigerator consumes about 80 to 90 watts at 12 volts. Our friend howson has a residential refrigerator he powers with an inverter, and he might weigh in on his consumption.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Mike53

Due to cycling, it's tough to quantify and compare power draws between two units. They'd have to be side-by-side in the exact same conditions to do a "real world" comparison.

What I can tell you is I recently had the refrigerator running (without anything else additional running) in the trailer. The total consumption of the trailer in a 24hr period was 2.7 kwH. Yesterday,without the refrigerator running, the trailer consumed 1.8 kwH. So for the conditions the refrigerator experienced on a day in February it consumed .9 kwH, or 900wH, in 24 hours. Assuming a 13vDC average, that's about 70aH. (13*70=910wH)

I think that math is right...in a rush (gotta go!) so somebody check it, please....

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Mike53

Another way to compare refrigerators -- look at their US Government Energy Guide sticker.

The Haier's:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	149
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	128683

Unfortunately I couldn't find an Energy Guide online for the Furrion 16 cu ft refrigerator. I've sent Furrion an email asking for the information. When received I'll post it.

If anyone happens to have a copy of the Furrion Energy Guide in their files please post it.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X