Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travlfi vs everything else under the sun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travlfi vs everything else under the sun...

Howdy all,
    I see the new Grand Designs are coming with the Travlfi routers and my 2023 only has the Winegard 360 external antenna on the roof. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which is better? I've spent so much money trying to upgrade stuff that I'm seriously sick of it. I've youtubed this and youtubed that and I just want some real world answers. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Geo
    George & Casey
    2023 Solitude 376RD
    2020 Chevy 3500 High Country

Our new 2024 has the Travlfi router. For the past two years, we have used two hotspots for connectivity as full timers. The only problem with those is making sure we haven’t gone over our GB limit. We never used the Winegard for other than OTA TV antenna. I activated the Travlfi last week. My first issue was no power from the 12V plug source (I contacted GD customer service for help and still waiting). Fortunately, the box came with 120V plug that just reaches. So, after a week of usage, we have discovered the following. Neither of our IPhones can access the internet if hooked to either the 5 or 2 GHZ bands. I actually had to reboot my phone to get a cell signal after disconnecting. While speaking with the Travlfi tech during setup, he mentioned that printers may have issues using the 5 GHZ band. We’ve only had it operational for a week, so the jury is still out. For reference, we do basic internet stuff; email, news, etc. Also watch some YouTube, TV shows, etc on TV. I too searched for info on Travlfi and could not find a lot out there. I’ll give it some more time, but leaning towards just sticking with the two hotspots. Hope this helps.
    Bob & Rosie
    2024 Reflection 320MKS
    2021 RAM 6.4L Hemi

Comment

I do not have first hand experience with either, but I have heard mixed reviews over the year. I would suggest a vendor neutral option, that lets you go out and pick your own plans and carriers. I run a Peplink and have been very happy with it.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I don't know anything about Travlfi, so I unplugged it. I have a T-Mobile gateway that I will use for internet service. It is only $30 a month for unlimited service.
        Raymond and Dee Dee
        2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
        2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post
          I don't know anything about Travlfi, so I unplugged it. I have a T-Mobile gateway that I will use for internet service. It is only $30 a month for unlimited service.
          Just saw your post about using T-Mobile gateway... I have a Verizon jetpack that I use for checking email, banking & surfing the web (Amazon $$$) and use a Dish satellite for TV... I will be setting up a Ring security system and I'm looking for a way to monitor the system. How is your gateway working out?
          Thanks,
          2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Dualy
          2022 Solitude 3330RE
          Cindy & Xena

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy View Post

Just saw your post about using T-Mobile gateway... I have a Verizon jetpack that I use for checking email, banking & surfing the web (Amazon $$$) and use a Dish satellite for TV... I will be setting up a Ring security system and I'm looking for a way to monitor the system. How is your gateway working out?
            Thanks,
            It works pretty good and depending on where I am at in my RV sometimes it works great and sometimes not so great. It depends on where the TMO towers are at. I have COX now at home and the TMO gateway is kept active where I can take it with me on trips. I have Dish at home and in my RV.

Raymond and Dee Dee
            2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
            2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

We use Version at home internet, just put the box in the camper and plug it in. We run our lap top, tablet and stream on roko simultaneously without issue. You do have to be getting a signal, it’s worked great for us with no additional express as we use it in our home when we’re not snow birding. We get our cable channels on u tube tv and have benen enjoying the basketball tournament, GoCyclones!
              Last edited by CraigSherwood; 03-24-2024, 07:54 PM.

Comment

We purchased the Travlfi Journey XTR unit last fall, and only using the antennas that came with it (no external rooftop antenna).
                The device sits under the behind the glass panel under the TV in our GD 2970RL
                The beauty of the device is that it connects to the best of the three major mobile service provider available using virtual Sim technology.
                Our personal mobile provider is Verizon, and where we're located now, Vzw is on the fringe, so if we had a jetpack or home internet box through Vzw, it would not work very well, so this Travlfi is ideal for us.
                We are camping right now, and the unit is connected to ATT.
                This park recently upgraded their WiFi internet system, and they charge for it. The free service they provide is terrible. I cannot say who their provider is, but when we came here last year in October, it was just useable the first night (a Thursday). The following night (Friday) as the campground began to fill up, the service became extremely finnicky. Constant disconnects and terrible speed.
                For reference, using the park WiFi, on that Thursday we were able to stream a college football game on a laptop (I set YouTube TV for lower quality @ 480) and it performed without buffering. The following night (Friday) we could not stream very well at all......constant buffering.

After purchasing the Travlfi, we camped again in November and as a comparison we easily streamed a couple of NFL games.
                Yesterday we streamed one of the NCAA men's games, and it did not stutter once.

Without going too long on this, so far we've only purchased the 25GB plan @ $49.00 each time we've camped (usually 5 night stays) and usually have a few Gigs left at the end.
                From memory, the campground internet cost was $25.99 for 1 week for 3 devices, so we were constantly having to bump one unit for another (2 cell phones, and 2 laptops)

Lastly, we've only used the Travlfi at this one campground, and testing it at home, so it's limitations are that there must be a mobile cellular internet provider in range.

Edit: Wanted to add this. Another nice thing is that it's month to month, so at the end of the month we paid for (each plan is for a 30 day period), we don't have to pay while not using it. You pay the one-time activation fee ($25), then just pay for data when you need it.
                Last edited by Miklb58; 04-01-2024, 07:39 PM.
                Mike
                2022 Imagine 2970RL
                2023 Chevrolet 2500HD Custom

Comment

reubenray what plan do you have where you get unlimited data on a hotspot or is this TMOs wireless home internet?
                  Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
                  2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
                  2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

Comment

Originally posted by rtrainer View Post
                    reubenray what plan do you have where you get unlimited data on a hotspot or is this TMOs wireless home internet?
                    It is TMO's wireless home internet gateway. When I got this it was the only option for internet service where I live at. Several months ago I was able to get Cox, but the gateway was kept mainly for traveling in the rv. It is only $30 a month for it due to having two phones on TMO's plan.
                    Raymond and Dee Dee
                    2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                    X