Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travlfi vs everything else under the sun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doenute -- please follow up with your use experience!
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by doenute View Post
      Just so you all know: Travlfi just launched a 5G cellular solution 'softly and quietly'. I understand this was done so as to not make too many waves with the cell providers and their current customers/offerings. The new router for 5G is now on their website and Amazon for sale at both for $499. Search "Inhand 5G Travlfi" in google or Amazon. They will only offer two plans for it. Unlimited 100MB/s for $129/30days and $159/30 days for 200Mb/s also unlimited. No video throttling per the person I talked to. Just a cursory look over the manual for this router seems to show reasonable capability. It will fall back to 4G LTE if necessary where 5G is poor. I am under the return window for my Journey router and after a family commitment will give this a go.

Also, just so you know, the current 4G Journey does NOT utilize the Verizon network since a recent firmware update (1.1.7 I believe). Its limited to ATT and T Mobile. I understand this will NOT be the case with their 5G solution and will again actively utilize the highest signal strength tower from all three providers. Note that this is not necessarily the best tower for throughput, but provided it even comes close to a reasonable Ping and advertised speed, then it will be irrelevant in most applications--I did not see a band/tower locking provision in skimming the manual for this router.

The new router also has a 30 day return window so that will give plenty of time to see if they are able to release a mature enough product that meets their claims!

FYI, I had ordered the new 5g router and after receiving it before activation I noticed that it only had two options for plans as you stated, verses all the different options available for their other two routers. So I called customer support and they confirmed there are in fact "ONLY TWO" data plan options for the 5G router so if you don't need unlimited then you are stuck with those options on the 5G. Also I asked which cellular carriers the 5G used and I was told "ONLY Verizon". This was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I bought one of these to get the multi-network capability (I have Verizon on my phone), so only one carrier seems to be pointless with is product. Consequently I have asked for an exchange to get their XTR 4G router even though I wanted to future proof myself with 5G. Disappointed in their position on the new 5G router.
      Jim & Cindy
      2023 Reflection 341RDS
      2019 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by 66OurWay View Post

FYI, I had ordered the new 5g router and after receiving it before activation I noticed that it only had two options for plans as you stated, verses all the different options available for their other two routers. So I called customer support and they confirmed there are in fact "ONLY TWO" data plan options for the 5G router so if you don't need unlimited then you are stuck with those options on the 5G. Also I asked which cellular carriers the 5G used and I was told "ONLY Verizon". This was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I bought one of these to get the multi-network capability (I have Verizon on my phone), so only one carrier seems to be pointless with is product. Consequently I have asked for an exchange to get their XTR 4G router even though I wanted to future proof myself with 5G. Disappointed in their position on the new 5G router.
        Have you checked with T-Mobile? Their Cellular routers are 5G I believe, and their network has grown extensively over the past couple of years (government money put to work).

You may have to tell a while lie about location to get the service. It can be as simple as using your neighbors address instead of yours, don't ask me how their system works, but one number can be the difference. https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Have you checked with T-Mobile? Their Cellular routers are 5G I believe, and their network has grown extensively over the past couple of years (government money put to work).

You may have to tell a while lie about location to get the service. It can be as simple as using your neighbors address instead of yours, don't ask me how their system works, but one number can be the difference. https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet
          This is what I am using when traveling. I had the system when I got the RV. I have Cox now at home, but I keep this active for the RV. I am paying $30 a month for unlimited. At the current COE campground I am at now the signal is week, but it still works. I watch ION on the bedroom tv each night using TMO. The tower I am connecting to only has 4G, but most of them have 5G.

TMO is talking about restricting the gateway to a set address. If this happens I will have to try the Travlfi XLR system that came with my rv.
          Raymond and Dee Dee
          2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
          2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Every time I check T-Mobile 5G for the home address I live at they report it's not available in my area. True, it may work on the road in numerous places and I know they are one of the leaders in 5G expansion, however if they clamp down on mobile users using their home Internet on the road then that will become a dead end solution for travel. I think TravlFi is missing the mark with their 5G solution, I don't understand why there 4G solution uses T-Mobile and their 5G does not?

Thanks for the recommendation.
            Jim & Cindy
            2023 Reflection 341RDS
            2019 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW

Comment

Working...
            X