This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 1210T failure on brand new 315G

SO just bought a 2023 315G, fridge did not work, found an obvious coolant leak. So I have some questions - - How long does it take to get a new one? Is there an extended warranty available for just the fridge through Norcold? Is there an alternative fridge that works well for boondocking?

Thanks
    Last edited by howson; 03-28-2024, 12:18 PM.

Originally posted by btkeele View Post
    SO just bought a 2023 315G, fridge did not work, found an obvious coolant leak. So I have some questions - - How long does it take to get a new one? Is there an extended warranty available for just the fridge through Norcold? Is there an alternative fridge that works well for boondocking?

Thanks
    Note from your friendly moderator -- I see you're new, so please review the rules for the forum. You'll note I edited out part of your post.

To your specific question, I suggest going in an entirely new direction, meaning switching over to a compressor-technology refrigerator. This could mean a residential (thus requiring an inverter to run when disconnected from shore power) or a 12v "RV" unit. Both options will need a battery bank that will power the fridge for whatever length of time that you determine is the minimum when there's no outside power of any kind available (including no solar).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So I read the rules, for the record I did not threaten a LS, just asked if there was one out there,I will search that topic elsewhere. I do not want a residential, i bought this unit to boondock, solar does not help
      much as I plan to camp in treed areas as much as possible. Are there other brands of 2 way fridges? Are other models as prone to issues as the 1210T?

Thanks for pointing out the rules, and thanks for any additional help.

Pretty frustrated right now, no one can tell me how long to get the new unit to the dealer, so, I paid a lot of money and I'm sitting here without it.

Once again thanks.

Comment

So I read the rules, for the record I did not threaten a LS, just asked if there was one out there,I will search that topic elsewhere. I do not want a residential, i bought this unit to boondock, solar does not help
        much as I plan to camp in treed areas as much as possible. Are there other brands of 2 way fridges? Are other models as prone to issues as the 1210T?

Thanks for pointing out the rules, and thanks for any additional help.

Pretty frustrated right now, no one can tell me how long to get the new unit to the dealer, so, I paid a lot of money and I'm sitting here without it.

Once again thanks.
        Thanks for your understanding. I completely understand your frustration. Welcome to RV ownership(?).

I'm at a campground with a friend that has a different brand of camper (that's brand new) that has THEE most atrocious tankless water heater installed in it (Flex Temp). The friend is very, very frustrated that taking a shower is nearly impossible without getting scalded or doused with cold water. Not what they expected from a "top tier" brand.

Back to your questions: I don't know of any brand of absorption refrigerator that does not have issues. At least those of any size. The small absorption fridges in Class B and Class C rigs seem fine, or even larger ones that are NOT installed in a slide. My personal experience is with a Dometic RM1350 that I eventually gave up on. My wife loves the Haier residential that is now in our camper.

While I understand that a residential or 12vDC may seem "non-boondocker friendly", with a reasonable LifePO4 battery bank and a fast charger, a small inverter generator (like the Champion I carry with me) can recharge the bank relatively quickly. So much so that water (and dumping waste) will be the limiting factor when it comes to boondocking, not power.

If you'd like to know more, there are many many threads on this forum that cover this topic. Probably the most applicable is the setup acoleman43 installed in his 21G. Start here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ll-tips-wanted Allen is a terrific forum member and is someone I highly recommend you consult if this is of any interest to you at all.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

btkeele

Reach out to GD Customer Service, have your VIN ready. Ask them if your dealer has contacted them and receive a case number, or ask your dealer first then confirm with GD. Sometimes dealers do not get too excited to do warranty repairs so they tell the customer that GD is holding them back when in fact they have not even contacted GD yet. Anyway let GD know your situation and see if they can help you, be nice though, it really helps.

I feel for the situation that you are in and hope you can get some resolution soon.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks
            I would contact Grand Design customer service to get options. They may be able to help a lot. A 2023, I'm thinking should be covered? If not there may be some goodwill they may extend to you?
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Thanks for the reply's, not new to RV's, got my first rv in 1988, Kit Roadranger and have had multiple over the years, never had a serious issue with a fridge, all the AC/LP variety. just traded in a 2016 Reflection last Friday on the toyhauler, so covered with warranty, just not happy the dealer didn't check the unit out prior to buying. I got it home, leveled it out turned on the fridge, not cooling. So the dreaded yellow stain in the lower/outside access panel. I called GD, they said the warranty claim had been sent to the dealer, just trying to figure out how long of a wait it will be, also looking at options down the line.

Thanks again to all.

Comment

Even though the claim was submitted to GD, it's still on the MFG to ship out the replacement. Hopefully GD is on the MFG to get the unit shipped due to defect.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Update, they replaced the cooling unit/coils. Hopefully no more issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X