Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

337RLS is there a way to run GM camera cable from the roof through the kingpin box.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 337RLS is there a way to run GM camera cable from the roof through the kingpin box.

I am installing a rear view camera on my 2024 Reflection 337RLS. I want to use the General Motors rear view camera system in my 5th wheel. It sends the display to the dash infotainment system instead of using a detachable monitor. The problem is the camera must be hardwired all the way from the roof to the rear bumper of the truck. I really do not want surface mounted wire on the front cap of the rig. Can anybody suggest a way to route the cable from the roof then down to the nose and out through the same opening alongside of the 7pin connector cable? The connector appears to be too large to go through conduit. I am game to try it, provided it can be done without tearing up the RV. If not, then I will just use a Furion style wireless camera and separate monitor. I am attaching a link to the GM camera that I am referencing. Any suggestions will be much appreciated...

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/elect...-92326971.html
    Last edited by Country Campers; 04-07-2024, 05:48 AM. Reason: font size
    Michael & Lisa
    Tulsa, OK
    2024 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel

I have seen some that run the camera cables either on top of the underbelly cover or along the outside of the frame or outside of the underbelly cover. Then they went up into the front storage, under the overhang to the pin box. It is a pain to run this cable. There is a "kit" available that will move the camera connections from the bumper to the inside of the bed where the 7 pin connects for a fifth wheel. A lot of work if you are up to it.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Much easier to go under the trailer. Access from the roof to pin box is probably only going to be reasonable via the solar wiring chase.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I agree that it will be much easier to go under the trailer. By loosening the center fasteners on the overhang cover, you should be able to fish the cable (with its end connector) from the pinbox opening to the front compartment. From there, go out through a drilled or available opening and follow the uppe outer side of the lower frame rail flange to the back of the trailer. This will avoid having to drop the underbelly coroplast. Once you get to the back of the trailer, you can follow a corner molding or the ladder to gain height . . . but, before you do this . . . evaluate the picture from the trailer bumper level vs higher up. In my case, I decided that I could see what I wanted to from the bumper and it was not worth running external wires up the back of the trailer.

My Ford has a similar hardwired trailer camera system, but the connection point is already inside the truck box.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Fivespeed56 View Post
          I am installing a rear view camera on my 2024 Reflection 337RLS. I want to use the General Motors rear view camera system in my 5th wheel. It sends the display to the dash infotainment system instead of using a detachable monitor. The problem is the camera must be hardwired all the way from the roof to the rear bumper of the truck. I really do not want surface mounted wire on the front cap of the rig. Can anybody suggest a way to route the cable from the roof then down to the nose and out through the same opening alongside of the 7pin connector cable? The connector appears to be too large to go through conduit. I am game to try it, provided it can be done without tearing up the RV. If not, then I will just use a Furion style wireless camera and separate monitor. I am attaching a link to the GM camera that I am referencing. Any suggestions will be much appreciated...

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/elect...-92326971.html
          Brian, Rob, and John are speaking wisely. There are several threads of folks doing that. Do a search here and even Google it .

However there was a post years back over at IRV2 where a Ford guy ran the wire on the roof and then through and down the channel that GD installed for the solar wires to get to the front bay.I ran across it while researching a camera for my rig. I don't know if your model has a roof gland that far forward, or if there is enough room in it to do so.

The tough part is getting the wire from the front bay to the king pin. Trick there is undo some of the field screws that hold the overhang cover up and slide a 1.5"x 1/8" by 3 or 4' long flat bar along the top of the overhang, and the rotate it up to give you room to fish the wire and not snag on the loose insulation. I taped a pull rope to the flat bar so I could pull my cables through. I ran my DC-DC wiring using that trick that was suggested here.

Good luck and please post back pictures of your install if you can.

Safe travels
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I successfully completed the installation yesterday. Getting the wire from the front battery bay to the kingpin was mucheasier than first anticipated! Shout or to the terrific design and build teams at Grand Design. They installed a wire chase from the front bay to the kingpin box opening. It is a 1" x 1-1/2" rectangular steel tube. The chase has enough room for the 7-pin wire and my Chevy camera cable! All I had to do was disconnect the cable from the camera and fish it through with a nylon cord. I left the cord for future use, just in case... See photo. I decided to run the wire under the rig (THANKS ROB AND KEITH, YOU WERE RIGHT) and through the frame stabilizing gussets for support. The solar wire chase from roof was a possibility but much more trouble. I ran out of time before I could finish the test drive and calibration. All I have left to do confirm the camera placement and angle while coupled and on level ground. When I am completely satisfied, I will tighten and clip the wire ties. See photos!
            Michael & Lisa
            Tulsa, OK
            2024 Reflection 337RLS
            2024 Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel

Comment

Working...
            X