Freezer Door Opens on Travel Days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezer Door Opens on Travel Days?

I have the 16cf 12v refrigerator that has a strap at the top to keep it closed. But it still opens. What else can I do to keep it from opening?
    Raymond and Dee Dee
    2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Originally posted by reubenray View Post
    I have the 16cf 12v refrigerator that has a strap at the top to keep it closed. But it still opens. What else can I do to keep it from opening?
    I find this to be one of the most infuriating issues we deal with--how can an RV refrigerator not come with a way to secure the doors when traveling? (Sorry for the rant.)

I have a residential unit, so of course there's no way to secure the doors. I've tried an Fridge Fixer device but the tape failed (twice). I've gone back to using 3M Dual Lock tape. It's ugly, but works.

Look closely and you'll see the tape attached to the refrigerator is in two parts (gap between the doors). The top piece spans the two doors. The top piece does not "stick" to anything thus the backer is left intact. Again, ugly but effective.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-17 195412.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	132295

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Today the strap came off of the freezer completely and the food in the freezer and refrigerator was dumped out on the floor. The strap pulled off of the two sided tape.

I will be going to Lowe's tomorrow for some velcro strips.
      Raymond and Dee Dee
      2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
      2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

The DW also uses curtain rods to keep stuff from moving/sliding inside the refer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240419-060744_Gallery.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	132330
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          The DW also uses curtain rods to keep stuff from moving/sliding inside the refer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240419-060744_Gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.1 KB ID:	132330
          I had those in the frig side, but a few things escaped. I may have to two of them on some shelves. What I have is too long for the freezer side.
          Raymond and Dee Dee
          2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
          2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Are you following the procedure on page 12 of the manual under “Travelling”? 🙄

You probably won’t believe what is says if you haven’t read it. “Avoid traveling with food in the cavity. Wait until you have arrived to (sic) your destination and remove any remaining food before departing.”

Classic example of the designer not understanding the actual use of their product.

My assumption is that liability concerns prevent them from adding a secure, positive locking means to the doors.

John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

You probably won’t believe what is says if you haven’t read it. “Avoid traveling with food in the cavity. Wait until you have arrived to (sic) your destination and remove any remaining food before departing.”

Classic example of the designer not understanding the actual use of their product.

My assumption is that liability concerns prevent them from adding a secure, positive locking means to the doors.
              Statements like that are the reason I don't really pay attention to the manual. I do what I think is right..because I think I know more about RV'ing than the people who built it.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Yes, and I ignored it. I got some better two way tape plus another strap and I will be installing two straps. One will be a foot of so from the top and the other one will be a foot or so from the bottom
                Raymond and Dee Dee
                2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

You have the elastic strap from the top of the slide to the hook on each door and it still opens? Mine has that and there's no way for it to open. Works great.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230807_162224.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.3 KB ID:	132414
                  Last edited by COReflection; 04-20-2024, 04:44 PM.
                  40-year Camping Enthusiast
                  2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                  2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

I do not have that. I have a nylon strap and buckles at the very top of the freezer/refrigerator doors. The first time it opened one of the buckles came loose. The second the buckle pulled off of the two sided tape.
                    Raymond and Dee Dee
                    2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Is the random auto opening feature just a Furrion thing?
                      2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                        Is the random auto opening feature just a Furrion thing?
                        All of the refrigerators in my past RV's had latches to lock the doors. I had to read the manual to see if there was a latch somewhere, but there is not one. After doing the right wording I found a lot of nylon straps and latches on Amazon. I got a pair of them from Academy Sports that was in the camping section. I will modify two to make one more strap/latch setup.
                        Raymond and Dee Dee
                        2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                        2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Our Norcold latches...so I was wondering.
                          2021 303RLS

Comment

We've had this issue before and part of it was because as the fridge/freezer shifts, it can actually work its way out of the latching mechanism then be pushed on by whatever you have as a last method of keeping things shut.

What worked for us was both a exterior latch and to put some microfiber cloth or cloth folded up and stuffed hard in between the fridge/freezer to help prevent the doors from shifting to begin with. Ever since we did both of those, we've never had an issue.

Good luck!
                            Transcend 2022 265BH
                            The Leisure Trails - coming soon! =)

Comment

Working...
                            X