Power to a Dashcam (Ford SuperDuty)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power to a Dashcam (Ford SuperDuty)

Motivated by TucsonJim's recent experience with getting power to his dashcam, here's an alternative for Ford owners (and possibly others if their TV has a similar fuse panel).

Products Used
    VanTrue E1 Element Dashcam
    Vantrue 3-Lead Acc Hardwire Kit for Dash Cam, 5 Low Voltage Protection Options with Shifting Gear for Parking Mode, 14.8ft Type C USB 12V-24V to 5V with Fuse Holders for N4,N4 Pro,N5,S1P, E1,E2,E3,N2S

Installation
    In a SuperDuty there's a fuse panel on the passenger side under a kick panel. I used the provided "fuse extender" in the VanTrue Hardwire Kit to tap into an empty fuse slot that is always live regardless of ignition position.
    • Why an always live slot? So the camera works in "Parking Mode". Read the product descriptions --linked above -- and you'll discover the Vantrue power adapter has battery protection modes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-01 133028.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	133239

It was an easy task to snake the power wire under the interior door gasket and then under the interior headliner.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-01 133236.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	133240

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-01 133343.jpg
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	133241

I don't have a picture of the final install in the truck(!) and the truck is bedded down under a cover, so here's what it looks like in my Odyssey (it has the same VanTrue setup and same installation configuration).

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-01 133916.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	133242

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-01 133852.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	133243

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

I also have a dashcam wired into the passenger side panel with a fuse extender. I have found them to be very difficult to fit tightly due to the very tight plastic enclosure. I can't recall the exact positions I'm using, but 5 is one of them. Not sure on the lower one. Maybe 21? Anyway, my question is, how tightly does yours fit in there? I've had one come loose before. I hate that. I have a bag full of replacement extenders standing by, because I don't trust my setup. Are you confident in yours?
    Scott
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F350 6.7L Lariat Tremor

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
      I also have a dashcam wired into the passenger side panel with a fuse extender. I have found them to be very difficult to fit tightly due to the very tight plastic enclosure. I can't recall the exact positions I'm using, but 5 is one of them. Not sure on the lower one. Maybe 21? Anyway, my question is, how tightly does yours fit in there? I've had one come loose before. I hate that. I have a bag full of replacement extenders standing by, because I don't trust my setup. Are you confident in yours?
      No issues at all, Scott. Never think about it as there's never been a problem. Perhaps I'm blissfully ignorant, but as now I'm very confident in the setup.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        It was an easy task to snake the power wire under the interior door gasket and then under the interior headliner.
        Howard - You have got to stop this - giving me solutions to a problem I have been pondering for some time. While I have the Rexing camera with the power cord having the power point plug on it I can cut it off and add a fuse connector, I now have an option of wiring it to that fuse block that I did not know was there. I wonder if there is an ignition hot only source there -otherwise I need to remember to turn it off.

Thanks for posting this - perfect timing.

Keith
        Last edited by Yoda; 05-06-2024, 06:24 PM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Howard - You have got to stop this - giving me solutions to a problem I have been pondering for some time. While I have the Rexing camera with the power cord having the power point plug on it I can cut it off and add a fuse connector, I know have an option of wiring it to that fuse block that I did not know was there. I wonder if there is an ignition hot only source there -otherwise I need to remember to turn it off.

Thanks for posting this - perfect timing.

Keith
          Keith - The Rexing cam works on five volts, not 12. You can't just cut the cord and attach it to a 12 volt source. The transformer is located in the 12V plug end. I purchased a 12 v socket, plugged the power cord into it, then taped the two together so they wouldn't vibrate apart.

Just attach the part below on a fused circuit, and then plug the Rexing plug into it.

https://a.co/d/c3JalzF
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yoda

I did the same as TucsonJim . This connection resides behind the passenger footwell trim. There is lots of room for it.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Keith - The Rexing cam works on five volts, not 12. You can't just cut the cord and attach it to a 12 volt source. The transformer is located in the 12V plug end. I purchased a 12 v socket, plugged the power cord into it, then taped the two together so they wouldn't vibrate apart.

Just attach the part below on a fused circuit, and then plug the Rexing plug into it.

https://a.co/d/c3JalzF

Say What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for catching that - I would have never known looking at the plug. Thanks my friend. Ill haft to read the instructions on the power draw to choose the circuit wisely..

I guess I need another Amazon order now I wonder if Napa or the other auto stores carry that?

Rob Cate&Rob Thanks for the tip on there being room in the foot well. SWMBO does not like the cutter in front of her now and I still need to power the tire sensor monitor. Maybe should have gotten the Ford option - Hmm wonder if it can be added after the fact.

Thanks
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
              X