Dometic Refrigerator keeps tripping 15 amp breaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic Refrigerator keeps tripping 15 amp breaker

We purchased a Grand Design Transcend 27BHS - 2019 last fall.

Last weekend we were camping and the 15 amp breaker tripped. My husband reset the breaker and about 10-15 minutes later it tripped again. After process of elimination we believe we've narrowed it down to the Dometic DM2662 Refrigerator. The refrigerator setting was auto and a/c . The next day we went home and plugged into our house electric and 10-15 minutes later the breaker tripped again. The bedroom outlets are also on the same breaker. We only plug our phone chargers, a stand up fan in the bedroom and have been doing this since last fall with no problems until now. Has anyone else had this happen? if so what was the problem and solution?

I’ve never seen this as a failure, there’s not much in the fridge that’s fed off the 120V except the heating element. If it’s actually the cause I’d think you’re looking at a new cooking unit. If you take the lower access cover off you’ll see the fridge is actually plugged into an outlet. I’d unplug it and plug it into a nice heavy extension cord and plug it into a known good outlet at the house. See if it trips the house breaker all by itself to eliminate the RV wiring.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I agree most times it is the heating element shorting out as it heats up. Sounds like you are under warranty - an authorized Dometic technician can check the ohms on the element and just the element can be replaced.. As a fridge gets older the element is more difficult to remove but should not be an issue in this case.

Mark
      2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
      2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
      2020 Momentum 376THS
      We're both proud USAF Retirees...
      Retired RV Tech

Comment

Working...
      X