Backup Camera: 260RD F/W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Camera: 260RD F/W

Looking for thoughts on a camera looking backwards, unit is pre-wired for Furrion, suggestions for alternatives to the Furrion are welcome. Truck won't show the view so will need to go to phone or to display mating with the camera...thanks all

I use the Furrion, no problems to report.
    Works good when traveling, only use for reference when backing up a spotter is best.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I recently purchased and installed the Furrion camera. Easy installation and synching with monitor. Taking a trip this week, so will be first time using it on the road.
      2021 GD Imagine 2500RL
      2017 Chev Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2 Max Tow Package
      Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Thanks very much for the responses, curious if anyone out there is using a non-Furrion camera and their experience. I had a recommendation elsewhere for this system:
        visionworks MACH2 in-dash wireless integration
        https://www.visionworkscameras.com/p...mplete-systems

Comment

I have the Furrion Vision S system with 7" monitor and 3 cameras. I mostly use the rear camera for observation behind me while traveling down the road. The system works well, except that the monitor is not bright enough to see well on a sunny day. I have it mounted on the dash just above my in-dash GPS system, and below my rear view mirror. I have been trying to find out if there is a way to increase the brightness on the monitor.The only way I know to do it is to go in to the settings for each camera and turn up the brightness there.

Bob

2020 Imagine 2970RL
          2019 GMC Denali HD 4x4 Duramax
          Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
          2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

I have found the use of a backup camera is limited because nothing works better than a spotter. That being said, I did purchase and install a $78 unit on Amazon. It worked for 2 years on my Outback and plan to install it on my new Grand Design as soon as the weather in Michigan warms up. The unit works for the intended function but has some idiosyncrasies to consider:
            1. Installation - I mounted my unit to the top of the Furrion bracket by drilling a small hole in it for the wire and sealing it with silicone. The top of the Furrion bracket is slightly curved, so I used a couple of rubber plumbing washers to not and bolt the flat bracket to the curved plastic piece on the camper. You may have to cut and splice the cable to make the connection. Solder the splice or use waterproof automotive butt connectors preferably with some dielectric grease for a waterproof connection. Standard butt connectors are guaranteed to corrode and stop working after a few months. Waterproof butt connectors use heat shrink tubing and are available at any auto parts store.
            2. Electrical - the wiring on my previous Outback was connected to the marker light circuit so I needed to turn on my lights to activate the camera. No big deal.
            3. Viewing - the camera uses an app called SWD camera which can be downloaded from the Google Play store (and I believe the Apple equivalent) to view the camera on you phone, however, you need to connect to the cameras dedicatef Wi-fi network first which is just like conne ring to any other Wi-fi network except there are no login ID or passwords needed. You can them view the camera on the app which works quite nicely. Ideally, turn on camera (with lights), start the app. and logon to the camera shortly before you get to the camp site as it takes a minute or two to do this.

Pro's: Can be used while driving to check traffic behind you. Cheap way to accomplish a backup camera. Doesn't require a dedicated monitor. You could use a dedicated tablet or old Smartphone for a larger picture and /or Wi-fi preset. Great if you have no

Comment

place to mount a dedicated monitor. Price can't be beat.

Cons: Installation requires a little finessing. Need a place to prop phone or tablet while backing. Accessing the camera view takes a minute or two which I usually forgot until I needed it.

Comment

Also, doesn't look "factory" when installed but I removed mine easily when I upgraded my RV.

Comment

bkgilbert54 -- thanks for the informative posts! Always a pleasure to read the first post(s) from a new member when they're informative and helpful. (Not that I mind those who need help, it's just that posts like yours are the minority.)

I hope you'll check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Since the thread is still being commented on I'll chime in. I selected the Vision Works HD 7" Quadview ($499) instead of the Furrion Vision S 5 inch Sharkfin ($509.95). Since I haven't picked up my RV yet I haven't tried either of these but here is how I compared them based on their online listings.

Vision Works Advantages:
                    Better resolution. Vision Works is HD vs Furrion 720x480
                    More waterproof. Vision Works is IP68 vs Furrion IP65
                    More cameras allowed. Vision Works 4, Furrion 3
                    Larger screen. For $499 Vision Works gives you 7" vs $510 Furrion 5".
                    Ability to record to SD-Card. Vision Works can record to an SD-Card up to 128GB. Furrion no recording capability

Furrion Advantages
                    IR camera for night vision
                    Microphone on rear camera (not sure how I'd use this)

Vision Works: https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-72912.../dp/B07D92456Q
                    Furrion: https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-72912.../dp/B07D8ZNX2K

The Vision Works lets you select a Furrion compatible mounting bracket so it should attach to the Imagine with no problem and look fine.

Cheers,
                    Joe
                    Sailor_Joe, 2021 imagine 2600RB, 2017 Ford F-150, XLT super crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow.

Comment

Sailor_Joe both links are to Furrion camera systems. One 4.3" display and one 5" display.

Is this the system you were referring to? https://www.visionworkscameras.com/ahd-wireless-cameras I also see where you can get it integrated into the dash on select trucks.

Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Sailor_Joe both links are to Furrion camera systems. One 4.3" display and one 5" display.

Is this the system you were referring to? https://www.visionworkscameras.com/ahd-wireless-cameras I also see where you can get it integrated into the dash on select trucks.
                        Hi JLawles,

Ooops, sorry about the link mispost. Yes, that's the Vision Works system I meant to link to. Here are the links.

The 5" Furrion on Amazon for $509.95
                        Furrion Vision S 5 inch Sharkfin Camera Wireless RV Backup System with Infrared Night Vision and Wide Viewing Angle - FOS05TASF

The 7" Vision Works for $499 is shown on either of these links
                        Vision Works HD Wireless Rearview Observation Kit with Quadview Recordable 7" Monitor and Camera Kit
                        https://www.visionworkscameras.com/ahd-wireless-cameras
                        https://www.technorv.com/vision-work...nd-camera-kit/

I bought the Vision Works from the TechnoRV site, which let me select the Furrion compatible mounting bracket during the purchase.

Cheers,
                        Joe
                        :
                        Last edited by Sailor_Joe; 03-14-2021, 10:56 PM.
                        Sailor_Joe, 2021 imagine 2600RB, 2017 Ford F-150, XLT super crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow.

Comment

Working...
                        X