12V DC fridge install in outdoor kitchen in 2020 Imagine 2400BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V DC fridge install in outdoor kitchen in 2020 Imagine 2400BH

When we camp, 90% of the time we're either dry camping or boondocking, so the 120V fridge in the outdoor kitchen is mostly useless to us. Buying a new 12V compressor fridge is absurdly expensive, but I was lucky enough to come across a used one, at a much cheaper price, that with slight modification fit the original spot perfectly.

The new fridge only uses 3A on 12V (it also runs on 120V AC and 24V DC), so I just tapped into the existing 12V wire going to the LED light in the outdoor kitchen. It's also 2.7cf, compared to the 1.6cf of the original fridge.

The original temp control module was installed on the top of the fridge. Unfortunately that made it too tall by 0.5cm, so I had to relocate the 120V transformer and temp control module to the side. I had to install some foam tape the back and bottom, so that it wouldn't vibrate as loud against the thin paneling.

I have it set to 2 out of 5 on the temp knob, which is more than cold enough for my drinks, but not really cold enough to make ice in the freezer tray. It uses 3A for about 20 minutes per hour, so about 20-23 AH per day? My 340W solar system is more than enough to recharge the battery to full by 2pm at latest. We'll see what the performance is like come autumn when we get less sunshine, or when I'm camping in the shade.
    Last edited by howson; 11-28-2020, 11:01 AM.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH - 340W solar, Victron 100/20 MPPT & BMV-712, 12v/100ah BattleBorn GC2, MORryde CRE3000 & HD shackle w/ wet bolts.
    2017 F150 Lariat, 3.5EB - Andersen WDH, & SumoSprings

formerly: 2016 Starcraft Launch 19BHS, 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Very nice install and great way to recycle. That looks like there is more room in that fridge compared to the 120v model , at least the one I have.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by tonygoncalves View Post
      It uses 3A for about 20 minutes per hour, so about 20-23 AH per day? My 340W solar system is more than enough to recharge the battery to full by 2pm at latest. We'll see what the performance is like come autumn when we get less sunshine, or when I'm camping in the shade.
      Should be great for travel days, too, since (on a sunny day) the solar will keep up with the battery and the refrigerator. Very nice mod!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Great idea......I like it. Does it have a drain tube for the water from the melting frost buildup that I trust will eventually occur over time on the freezer area and at some point need defrosting ? If not, what are the plans to keep the water from getting on the cabinet area ?

I ask because I ran into this with our 120V 1.7 CF "dorm" fridge in our basement storage. I placed heavy plastic bag type material under the fridge and slightly up the sides and rear to "catch" the water and let it run out into our plastic tray. In addition, I place a towel in the lower level of the fridge to soak up water when thawing occurs.

A few/several months ago Jim TucsonJim was testing a 12V fridge for GDRV. I recall that he started a thread on this but I do not recall seeing the results posted. Possibly, Jim is still testing various aspects.

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

A few/several months ago Jim TucsonJim was testing a 12V fridge for GDRV. I recall that he started a thread on this but I do not recall seeing the results posted. Possibly, Jim is still testing various aspects.

Dan
          I'm still running that 10 cubic foot Norcold refrigerator Dan. It does a great job of keeping our food at a safe temperature even on the hottest days. And the power consumption is crazy low. I sent the reports to GDRV and I wouldn't be surprised to see 12V compressor refrigerators installed in new units in the future.

I will have to do a final summary on the refrigerator.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I'm still running that 10 cubic foot Norcold refrigerator Dan. It does a great job of keeping our food at a safe temperature even on the hottest days. And the power consumption is crazy low. I sent the reports to GDRV and I wouldn't be surprised to see 12V compressor refrigerators installed in new units in the future.

Jim
            Awesome !....sounds great, Jim. Look forward to reading the final summary. Cold IPAs are a MUST !

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Very nice install and great way to recycle. That looks like there is more room in that fridge compared to the 120v model , at least the one I have.

Brian
              Much more room. It takes the full depth of the cabinet, the fridge door leaves about 2mm of space for the cabinet door to close. 1.6CF to 2.2CF = 40% more beer! I can fit the regular size cans on the bottom, tall-boy cans on the top, and gatorade bottles on the door. Unfortunately the top shelf of the door is too short for anything useful, other than laying two cans on their side.

correction, it's a 2.7cf unit, not 2.2cf. which means 60% more beer!
              Last edited by tonygoncalves; 09-01-2020, 12:47 PM. Reason: corrected unit size
              2020 Imagine 2400BH - 340W solar, Victron 100/20 MPPT & BMV-712, 12v/100ah BattleBorn GC2, MORryde CRE3000 & HD shackle w/ wet bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                Great idea......I like it. Does it have a drain tube for the water from the melting frost buildup that I trust will eventually occur over time on the freezer area and at some point need defrosting ? If not, what are the plans to keep the water from getting on the cabinet area ?

I ask because I ran into this with our 120V 1.7 CF "dorm" fridge in our basement storage. I placed heavy plastic bag type material under the fridge and slightly up the sides and rear to "catch" the water and let it run out into our plastic tray. In addition, I place a towel in the lower level of the fridge to soak up water when thawing occurs.

Dan
                No drain tube, the bottom of the fridge is solid. I haven't decided what I'll do if the water accumulation gets too high. In the meantime I just wipe it with a cloth every time I refill the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
                  This is another of my long term plans: replace the 7CF absorption fridge with a proper 10CF 12v compressor fridge. Just gotta wait for that money tree to finally start flowering...

Comment

What brand is that 2.2 Fridge? I'll in the same boat with mostly Boondocking ,and right now that fridge is mostly dead weight.

BTW, Love the paper towel holder. That deserves a mention as well.
                    Mike
                    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                      What brand is that 2.2 Fridge? I'll in the same boat with mostly Boondocking ,and right now that fridge is mostly dead weight.

BTW, Love the paper towel holder. That deserves a mention as well.
                      It's a Norcold DE0751BB 2.7cf fridge. It's an older model, which has been replaced by the NR751BB.

Yeah, the paper towel holder comes in handy. I had to use the wife's hair scrunchy to keep the roll in place, otherwise the wind unwinds the roll.

Comment

I am new to RVing having rented a Class A for a month last summer I am now looking for a travel trailer... I have asked every dealer I have been to why they don't use a 12v fridge outside and also why no one uses 12v televisions.... With those two items there is almost no need for an inverter. Needless to say almost no one has an answer... I suppose it is most likely cost.

Lance does use 12V televisions. But, I think they are the only ones. I don't know if anyone uses 12V fridge outside. A few are now using them inside with GD Transcend being one of them. I am assuming they will update Imagine with the 12V fridge and included solar soon. It does not make sense to have it on the value priced Transcend and not the Imagine....
                        Last edited by steve1081; 02-01-2021, 11:46 AM. Reason: fix typos

Comment

Working...
                        X