Refrigerator not cooling properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

Neil--did you do a write-up? If "yes", can you point me to it? If not, what model residential did you choose and why? Any "lessons learned" I can apply before tackling the project?
    I’m pretty sure I did, let me track it down.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

howson

Ha we had this talk already lol. Was in Jims thread about temperature monitoring:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0161#post10161

Here is a link to an album with pictures of the project: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pJ76aDCQvL6p2XR59

We discussed the warnings in the other thread, but I was lucky because my fridge sits all by itself in its own cabinet. I was able to remove the cabinet and get whatever I wanted. Getting the plexiglass panels really finished up the outside nicely, I am really happy with that part. The space in the fridge is cavernous, which pairs well with no being able to actually trust my fridge to load it up for long trips.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

We have had a number (very many) fridge not cooling well enough posts over the years. And in my experience with gas/electric RV fridges for 4 decades cooling challenges are not new. Yes, there have been and are some design, installation, and other issues causing degradation in cooling performance but there is a key item missing in many of these discussions.

These fridges are REALLY challenged to get or stay cool when warm products are placed into the freezer and/or fridge compartments. We all have learned to start the fridge many hours prior or the day before loading it to ensure it is cooled down to the setting before loading products. And when product is loaded already chilled down or frozen it seems all is GTG. We want (and believe) these fridges should perform like our home 120V fridges but that is not the case. Our cooling experts can probably explain the technical reasons for this.

In fact a couple weeks ago when we were on our extended week and half family vacation, our fridge maintained high 30s and the freezer about 10ish (setting 3 of 5) with just opening and closing and removing cold or frozen goods. However when the kids and Carol loaded RV temp warm water bottles, beverage can, unfrozen freeze pops, etc. the fridge temp climbed to mid to high 40s and the freezer to the low to mid 20s for several hours and even overnight. I thought we were having a fridge performance technical problem but it was simply a "user" issue !

Now I am not saying the performance challenges shared by many folks are not real fridge issues.......many are as we have learned through the decades. However, our and many folks have learned that these gas/electric RV fridges do not do well when loading warm goods. I think our owners manuals cover the cooling challenges with gas/electric RV fridges as I recall.

We too use our small 1.7 CF dorm fridge for chilling down and freezing goods (usually overnight) and then move them where necessary to the RV fridge. I guess I need to conduct some remedial training sessions for the family on this practice !

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I have the same problem i have been dealing with since I bought the GD 349M. Mine is a Grand design 2017 349m. Have taken to the dealer, had tech come out, and called a million times about this norcold refridge 2118 that has not been working since i bought the trailer. Every time they put a band aid on it and it will work for a few days then go out. Now they say its out of warranty. Can't understand that since I have had the same issue since day 1 of not cooling. The freezer get cold but not the refridge. Pretty bad service for a $100,000 trailer. Every time trailer goes to dealer they can't seem to figure it out then it miraculous works and they charge me a fee. After a few days it goes out again.

Comment

Originally posted by Candice View Post
            I have the same problem i have been dealing with since I bought the GD 349M. Mine is a Grand design 2017 349m. Have taken to the dealer, had tech come out, and called a million times about this norcold refridge 2118 that has not been working since i bought the trailer. Every time they put a band aid on it and it will work for a few days then go out. Now they say its out of warranty. Can't understand that since I have had the same issue since day 1 of not cooling. The freezer get cold but not the refridge. Pretty bad service for a $100,000 trailer. Every time trailer goes to dealer they can't seem to figure it out then it miraculous works and they charge me a fee. After a few days it goes out again.
            Hi Candice,
            While I can understand the frustration expressed in your post (and unfortunately refrigerator problems are not uncommon) this forum is geared towards owners-helping-owners do their own repairs, not a place to register and resolve customer service complaints.

Is there something specific you'd like help with to troubleshoot this yourself? If not, the only advice I can give is for you to reach out to Grand Design Customer Service. Provide them with your VIN and the documentation of the service issues. While you're obviously well out of warranty, it doesn't hurt to call.

If you'd like to explore alternatives to the "RV refrigerator" in your trailer post back or search for the term "residential"-you'll find many threads where owners have replaced their OEM refrigerator with a residential. (I'm actually in the middle of swapping one out myself.)

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
            X