Winegard Sat Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winegard Sat Antenna

Has anyone mounted a Winegard Traveler Satellite on the roof of their XLS 22MLE? I am looking on how to install a Winegard Traveler on the roof so that I can access DIRECTV's HD Channels.. Any info on a location for mounting and necessary hardware needed.

Thank you
    Last edited by howson; 09-10-2020, 12:55 PM. Reason: Fixed title and spelling of "Winegard" (hope you don't mind!). -Howard

I wouldn't put that kind of money into a DirecTV setup. They are loosing customers by the millions and their future is uncertain. Many full-timers who have been DirecTV customers in the past are giving it up for Dish Network. Dish is also MUCH easier for changing locals as you move around. On Dish, the Winegard Trav'ler antenna is a western-arc-only antenna (can be converted to eastern-arc-only), so it won't get HD locals for both coasts with one setup. A great alternative - especially in a smaller travel trailer, is the Pathway X2 antenna (also Winegard) paired with a Wally and a Dish Outdoor account. You can change your locals from your phone as you travel the country (the Pathway X2 is an automatic antenna and can pick up both the eastern and western arcs for Dish). The Pathway X2/Wally kit is also about 1/4 the price you would pay for the Trav'ler.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
      I wouldn't put that kind of money into a DirecTV setup. They are loosing customers by the millions and their future is uncertain. Many full-timers who have been DirecTV customers in the past are giving it up for Dish Network. Dish is also MUCH easier for changing locals as you move around. On Dish, the Winegard Trav'ler antenna is a western-arc-only antenna (can be converted to eastern-arc-only), so it won't get HD locals for both coasts with one setup. A great alternative - especially in a smaller travel trailer, is the Pathway X2 antenna (also Winegard) paired with a Wally and a Dish Outdoor account. You can change your locals from your phone as you travel the country (the Pathway X2 is an automatic antenna and can pick up both the eastern and western arcs for Dish). The Pathway X2/Wally kit is also about 1/4 the price you would pay for the Trav'ler.

Rob
      Thanks for the info. We have Directv in our home (have had it for at least 10 yrs) and its been convenient for us to just take a receiver from the house and move it to the trailer when we travel. I guess we will have to see what happens with Directv. I have heard rumors that they will be combining all their transmissions (including HD) to just one satellite. Their service has been great, with no issues over the years

Comment

Originally posted by Refclown View Post
        Any info on a location for mounting and necessary hardware needed.
        I've never owned an XLS 22MLE but I installed the Winegard Trav'ler DirecTV dish on our first two 5th wheels. The install of the dish itself is easy. I mounted the optional Winegard mounting plate first. Here is a link to that: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You then screw the dish onto that plate then apply sealant https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the location, I asked Grand Design which area they recommended for our Reflection and they wouldn't recommend anything so I just picked an area myself. I mounted both of my dishes near the rear center of the roof. The instructions will show how much clearance you need near air conditioners/antennas, etc for the dish to be able to swivel.

You need to pull two wires to the roof. One power cable and one RG6 coax. My 2016 Reflection did not have a satellite/solar wire access plate on the roof so I ran my wires down the vent pipe. Our Solitude had an access plate on the roof that (more or less) ran down to the basement so I used that to pull the wires. You can secure the cables to the roof with sealant or Eternabond tape. I prefer the tape. https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-Ru...bap_d_rp_1_1_t

You didn't ask my opinion about DirecTV but I'm sitting here with nothing better to do because I don't want to go outside and breath the heavy smoke from all the fires here in Oregon so...
        When we sold our house in May, we decided to drop DirecTV. I loved their DVR and the picture quality but they just charged too much and the tides are changing fast away from cable/satellite. We are now streaming everything. As Rob pointed out, DirecTV's future is not bright. AT&T (current owner) has all but abandoned the service. They want to move all customers to streaming - not understanding that many customers have DirecTV only because they have no other good option (rural areas with poor or no internet service). If DirecTV was $40/month for basic service rather than $100, I'd still be using it. I can afford the $100. It's just a matter of principle. DirecTV refuses to create basic packages or allow a la carte channels. Because of this, we are forced to pay for expensive channels like ESPN whether you want them or not. Dish will likely be buying DirecTV in the not too distant future.

The Winegard DirecTV Trav'ler dish is awesome. Like auto-level, you just push a button when you arrive at camp and let it do it's thing. Install is easy so go for it!!!
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Working...
        X