How to Drain a Dometic Water Heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Drain a Dometic Water Heater?

2019 Reflection 303 RLS, Dometic water heater. This'll be the first time I've drained it. If there's a thread or reference on this, please direct me there. This YouTube makes it seem easy, but its not my system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PvtMxEAIEU. Questions:
    - After flushing and draining it, should I leave it empty for winter? Or put does antifreeze go in there?

Here's a pic of my system...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5864.jpg
Views:	2843
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	34551
    2019 Reflection 303RLS

Here are some tips for draining it:

1. Make sure it's off and cool. I suggest you also turn off the water heater breaker in the circuit breaker panel.
    2. Place a note in a visible location that reminds you to refill the tank before turning the breaker and water heater back on.
    3. Slowly open the pressure relief valve to remove any residual pressure.
    4. Remove the plastic drain plug and allow the water heater to drain. I'd suggest you use a six point socket to keep from rounding the drain plug. Place the drain plug where you'll be able to locate it when you refill in the spring.

You can leave it empty as long as you don't turn it back on before refilling it. Antifreeze will not hurt it, but it would take six gallons to fill it. So the vast majority leave it empty.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

First by pass the water heater. If you use a 1/2" drive ratchet with a universal joint (swivel) and a shallow 7/8 or 15/16 socket, you can get under the gas line and pull the plug. I leave mine out for winter and will use Teflon tape to lightly snug it up in the spring. Opinions will vary but IMO, you should not need to flush the tank since pulling the plug will provide plenty of flow to do this when removed. There is no need to run RV Antifreeze through the hot water heater since it will be empty.
      Some will also switch off the breaker to the tank as insurance since if turned on with electric (should not use gas as well) and no water in the tank, the heating element will burn up immediately.

Tucson and I must have been typing at the same time. I should also point out as Jim has stated to do this when completely cooled down.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax Trueblood View Post
        2019 Reflection 303 RLS, Dometic water heater. This'll be the first time I've drained it. If there's a thread or reference on this, please direct me there.
        There is another way other than pulling the plug. I have yet to read feedback from someone with a 5th wheel that's tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Full details linked below.

Drain Hot Water Tank - Without Pulling the Plug: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lling-the-plug
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Here are some tips for draining it:

1. Make sure it's off and cool. I suggest you also turn off the water heater breaker in the circuit breaker panel.
          2. Place a note in a visible location that reminds you to refill the tank before turning the breaker and water heater back on.
          3. Slowly open the pressure relief valve to remove any residual pressure.
          4. Remove the plastic drain plug and allow the water heater to drain. I'd suggest you use a six point socket to keep from rounding the drain plug. Place the drain plug where you'll be able to locate it when you refill in the spring.

You can leave it empty as long as you don't turn it back on before refilling it. Antifreeze will not hurt it, but it would take six gallons to fill it. So the vast majority leave it empty.

Jim
          Jim, I’ve just arrived at my first one year point and I’m preparing do do the PM on the HWH, so this may be a “duh” question, but, after draining/cleaning the HWH, will hooking back up to city water and turning it on automatically refill the HWH, or is an additional procedure required? Thanks in advance.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
          GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
          SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Thanks guys!
            2019 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

OK, HW Heater is drained. Circuit breaker pulled, and note posted, as per Jim and Midwestcamper's recommendations. Today I'm getting one of those rinser wands, and will be trying to flush it out (never done it before). This guy seemed to have a good technique, using vinager. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKg0R9oiMP0&t=1s

Is this a good idea? Not my exact water heater. Anyone have any tips or tricks?
              2019 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

Jim, I’ve just arrived at my first one year point and I’m preparing do do the PM on the HWH, so this may be a “duh” question, but, after draining/cleaning the HWH, will hooking back up to city water and turning it on automatically refill the HWH, or is an additional procedure required? Thanks in advance.
                No, it won't typically fill the water heater. When you hook up to city water, open a hot water faucet handle and allow water to flow out of the tap until it stops spitting air. Once you've done that, then the water heater is full and you can turn it on.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

No, it won't typically fill the water heater. When you hook up to city water, open a hot water faucet handle and allow water to flow out of the tap until it stops spitting air. Once you've done that, then the water heater is full and you can turn it on.

Jim
                  Gotcha, makes sense, thanks again.

Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                  GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                  SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax Trueblood View Post
                    OK, HW Heater is drained. Circuit breaker pulled, and note posted, as per Jim and Midwestcamper's recommendations. Today I'm getting one of those rinser wands, and will be trying to flush it out (never done it before). This guy seemed to have a good technique, using vinager. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKg0R9oiMP0&t=1s

Is this a good idea? Not my exact water heater. Anyone have any tips or tricks?
                    The sanitizing method used in the video would not hurt but honestly it seems like overkill. One advantage of the Atwood tank is that its aluminum. This expansion and contraction of the tank through heating and cooling should loosen any scale accumulation which would eventually be drained through the drain plug at the end of each season. I've never sanitized a hot water tank in both my camper or in my home.
                    The rinse wand did seem to pull out some additional scale where this IMO is all I would do when prepping for the winter.

Jim

Comment

I added a pet**** my water heater.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by TucsonJim; 11-25-2020, 10:53 AM.
                      Bill & Cindy
                      2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                      SE Texas

Comment

I like many others have replaced the nylon drain plug with a nylon threaded short nipple and screwed on a short section of drain hose with a shut off valve on the end. Makes it so easy to drain the water heater now. I have found pictures on various RV forums of the finished project.
                        Last edited by Mr. Goodwrench; 11-17-2020, 11:13 PM.
                        John and Karyn
                        Hillsboro, Oregon
                        2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Comment

As someone who's unit is in storage during the winter months. I put the drain plug back in. Mainly to keep any spiders and other critters looking for a nice dry place out during the winter.
                          Mike
                          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Working...
                          X