Microwave Swap-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwave Swap-out

Hello all, My wife and I are new owners of a 2021 Solitude 375RES-R and we would like to swap out the factory microwave with a Samsung microwave/convection unit. Looking for data on wiring load capacities as the new unit we are wanting to get has a 1750 watt draw rating vs the 1600 watt rating of the one that came with the RV. Will the wiring and breakers for that model handle the extra 150 watts? What is the recommended maximum watt rating for the microwave circuit in these RV models?

KW
    Keith Walker - Nashville, TN
    2021 GD Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW
    PullRite Superlite Single Point Connection 5th Wheel Hitch

Originally posted by KWyer View Post
    Hello all, My wife and I are new owners of a 2021 Solitude 375RES-R and we would like to swap out the factory microwave with a Samsung microwave/convection unit. Looking for data on wiring load capacities as the new unit we are wanting to get has a 1750 watt draw rating vs the 1600 watt rating of the one that came with the RV. Will the wiring and breakers for that model handle the extra 150 watts? What is the recommended maximum watt rating for the microwave circuit in these RV models?

KW
    Congrats on the Solitude and welcome to the Grand Design Owners (Technical) Forum. I hope you'll take a moment to read the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

To your question: the last info I have shows the microwave circuit in your unit is dedicated to the microwave and is on a 20A breaker (12 ga wire). You can verify the circuit is dedicated by turning off the breaker and checking all the 120v outlets--the only item that shouldn't work is the microwave.

Given that it is a 20A dedicated circuit for the microwave, it will handle a 1750 watt unit. (1750W / 120V = 14.58 amps)

If you do the swap, please do the forum the favor of documenting the process and any lessons learned. The best part of an owners forum is the sharing of our experiences (both good and bad).

Again, welcome!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the detailed response with the technical info. If I can talk the wife into it I will definitely document and share with the group.

KW
      Keith Walker - Nashville, TN
      2021 GD Solitude 375RES-R
      2021 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW
      PullRite Superlite Single Point Connection 5th Wheel Hitch

Comment

Working...
      X