Alternate portable generator connection via factory gen prep wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate portable generator connection via factory gen prep wiring

We have a new 2021 Solitude 375RES-R with gen prep but no Onan Generator.

This has probably already been addressed somewhere so please direct me there if so but what I am wanting to do is power the trailer from a portable generator in the truck bed via a pig tail tied into the gen prep wiring. Want to fire up the generator for rest stop lunches and such to be able to run a softstart enhanced AC with a 3500 watt portable generator. Needing to terminate the factory gen prep wiring into a plug box then then run a pig tail along the trailer hookup wire into the truck bed for easy hookup so I don't have to pull out the big 50 amp cord and slap a 30 amp adapter on it and connect to the generator. Anyone have pics or diagrams of doing something like this?

KW
    Keith Walker - Nashville, TN
    2021 GD Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW
    PullRite Superlite Single Point Connection 5th Wheel Hitch

Have you considered a 30A cord with a 50A plug or adapter on the trailer end? Might be a simpler solution to implement, though you’d have to hook it up to the RV when you want to use it.

Routing a 120V line through a moving connection such as from truck through the pin box is not simple to make safe. Wear from movement could result in wire damage and an energized frame and truck.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0AD9BB94-8AA4-43D1-9201-F45E3FE6D148.jpeg
Views:	524
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	41979
      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7C0A89E2-8E2B-4EE4-8F41-66C92D4B6106.jpeg
Views:	533
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	41981
        2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Thank you very much for the pictures. This is exactly what I was looking to do.

Comment

Originally posted by KWyer View Post
            Thank you very much for the pictures. This is exactly what I was looking to do.
            You could get extra crazy and put an actual power inlet on the front of the rig. I was always going to do this but never did.

https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Locki...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

You could get extra crazy and put an actual power inlet on the front of the rig. I was always going to do this but never did.

https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Locki...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
              That is exactly what I did ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post
                Yours looked like it was in the bay, I was mounting it on the outside like the main power inlet.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
                  Have you considered a 30A cord with a 50A plug or adapter on the trailer end? Might be a simpler solution to implement, though you’d have to hook it up to the RV when you want to use it.

Routing a 120V line through a moving connection such as from truck through the pin box is not simple to make safe. Wear from movement could result in wire damage and an energized frame and truck.
                  I agree with that concern and I have acquired some heavy duty nylon sheathing to protect the wires from abrasion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Yours looked like it was in the bay, I was mounting it on the outside like the main power inlet.
                    If I wanted to I could remove the battery vent (no longer used) and run the cable through the hole where the vent is located on the front (or add some exterior cover/hatch that can open and close). I see what you mean now - I need to leave my front hatch open to use the generator the way I have things set up right now. Your idea would allow the generator to run in the back of the truck even when driving.
                    2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

This is exactly what I want to do with our 2021 Solitude 310GK. want to use my Honda 6500 eu generator. just have to figure out how to connect onan wiring to Honda. will put 50 amp receptical on hitch and hook up when stopping with short cord from generator to hitch. Hope you get it figured out.

Comment

So I have decided to go with a connector box the same as on the outside of the camper incase I ever needed to hookup 50 amp connection at the front of the camper and then I am hooking up a 50 to 30 dongle and then 30 amp line through the 5th wheel pin box and into the truck bed to attach to the generator there. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2448.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	42605

Comment

Working...
                        X