USB Added in Bedroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Added in Bedroom

28 Mar Update: Don't miss post 11 and 13 for an update / conclusion to this modification.

---------------------

Not an original mod by any means-- Wapati Wind first documented the mod here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...edroom-diy-mod

mpking and I had a lengthy discussion in a separate thread on the topic of the USB options available. That thread is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...00bh-usb-ports In post 14 the USMEI Dual QC3.0 USB Charger Socket (part is linked to Amazon) is identified and it is what I chose to try.

Click image for larger version  Name:	USB Mod 1.JPG Views:	277 Size:	232.6 KB ID:	44013

I wanted to install the USB ports in the nightstands (pic showing nightstands is stock GD pic from the internet) but after following the wiring under the bed it was going to be a "bridge too far" to get the 12v into the nightstands. The info and pics below are "gee whiz" for the other owners with slide out beds--the 12v wiring (for the lights over the bed) is probably coming from the same location.

Click image for larger version  Name:	USB Mod 2.JPG Views:	125 Size:	138.1 KB ID:	44014

So I defaulted back to copying @Wapati Wind's install. He used a surface mount USB...the one I'd chosen made it more of a challenge. <sigh>

First issue: how do I secure the nut on the shaft of the USB socket once it was in the ceiling? I couldn't make the hole too big or it won't sit right, but there was no way to get the nut tight. The solution was to cut a hole in the interior bottom of the cabinet and cover the hole with a desk grommet. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Click image for larger version  Name:	USB Mod 3.JPG Views:	126 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	44015

Once the DW and I figured out how we were going to get the USBs mounted, we figured out the USB socket needed to be 2.5" out from the wall. This ensured the large hole for the desk grommet made by from above was centered right over the USB socket.

In the pictures below...

1: Remove the existing lights to access the wiring. Mark 2.5" out from the wall and make the mark centered between the valence and the headboard. Using the mark, drill a small hole that pierces both the bottom and top board of the cabinet (there's an air gap between the bottom and top where the wires run).
    • CAUTION: Make sure the light wires are not directly above where you're drilling! You must do this by feel.
    2 & 3: Using the small hole just drilled as the starting point, use a 1 1/8" hole saw or cutter bit to drill out hole for the USB socket. Only pierce the bottom board. Watch out for wires!

4: Using the 3 1/4" hole saw and using the small hole created by the small bit as the starting point, make the large hole in the upper cabinet. Only pierce the upper cabinet. Again--watch out for wires! Note you can see both the large hole and smaller hole in pic 4.

Click image for larger version  Name:	USB Mod 4.JPG Views:	124 Size:	120.7 KB ID:	44016

In the next pic...

5: Crimped and installed the wires on the USB socket with 90 degree connectors and added extra heat shrink. I had to bent the tabs on the socket 90 degrees so the desk grommet would sit flush. <just barely get it to sit flush!> If doing this again I'd solder the wires and protect with heat shrink to save just a smidgen of space. Electrical tape was used to cover the exposed metal tabs due to them being bent at an angle.

6: The desk grommet base was glued into position. The top ring sits flush without assistance (but just barely).

7: Wiring was straight-forward, though it is easy to get confused since GD uses solid white for -12v and the USB uses solid black. On the OEM light the -12v is white and +12v is black. See how this can get confusing? The wiring must be done with care. (Duh, huh?)

8: Final install showing only one side of the bed with the cover over the socket. (There's also a socket over on the other side of the bed, mirroring what you see in this pic). The vantage point is looking up as I'm laying on the bed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	USB Mod 5.JPG Views:	126 Size:	98.7 KB ID:	44017

Bottom line: it's doable, but Wapati Wind's method would be much easier to execute. I went with the QC3's for the fast charging and because it was one of the few that didn't have an indicator light. (I didn't want an LED "eye" beaming down on me while trying to sleep.)
    If you made it this far reading this post...congrats. I can get wordy.

Any questions, fire away.

Howard

Last edited by howson; 03-28-2021, 08:33 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

i'm a bit of a nutcase and do not give up easily. I would have attempted to prewire the plug only to the plug, fish the wiring through the hole with a string attached, then tie the string to the nut and send it back to the hole. Now this is where the challenge starts, By gluing string or making a flat spanner wrench one could hold the nut while turning the socket to tighten the nut. Again i'm a nutcase and do not give up very easily.

The other option is to use a push anchor plug like these: https://www.amazon.com/DAMAVO-YM1124...28667&sr=8-110
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'm going to take a slightly different approach to add a 12V cigarette lighter socket and a plug in USB adapter. The 12V socket has a small foot print and provides versatility to operate a variety of devices. Another option.

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Gol...7S9ZW26M&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger...tronics&sr=1-4

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2021, 07:09 AM.

Comment

howson , Interesting. I still haven't completed my mod. (Winter put the camper into hibernation). The space in my headboard was only 7/8ths of an inch. Your's is a little larger.

I'll be returning to my thread to finish up once the snow melts.
        Mike
        2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Any questions, fire away.

Howard
          For those of us like you and me who have a large battery bank and an inverter, why not save some mod time and just buy a 110 volt to USB adapter and plug it into a nearby 110 volt electrical outlet?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Adapt...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

For those of us like you and me who have a large battery bank and an inverter, why not save some mod time and just buy a 110 volt to USB adapter and plug it into a nearby 110 volt electrical outlet?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Adapt...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

-Steve
            Good question.

It's the same reason why the DW and I rarely use the outlets on either side of the bed (see red dots in pic below). Anything plugged to either the 120vAC or USB ports (USB only on the forward wall) must be removed before the slide is moved and it's also easy to kick/get entangled in the wires at night when "nature calls". Having the USB ports directly overhead allows plugging in numerous devices that can sit on the nightstands (and stay there) without having any of those hindrances.

Click image for larger version

Name:	existing outlets.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	44061
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Not an original mod by any means-- Wapati Wind first documented the mod here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...edroom-diy-mod

mpking and I had a lengthy discussion in a separate thread on the topic of the USB options available. That thread is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...00bh-usb-ports In post 14 the USMEI Dual QC3.0 USB Charger Socket (part is linked to Amazon) is identified and it is what I chose to try.
              You might want to check and see if that style USB charger draws power even when nothing is plugged into it. I put one like that in my truck and did not realize it drew power all the time and shortly after install I started have a parasitic drain issue that turned out to be the charger. I ended up putting it on a switch and the problem went away. I think I have seen those models also with a switch built into the plug assembly. The surface mount ones like I upgraded to in my RV do not draw power when nothing is plugged in. I checked before installing them. One bitten, twice smarter.

<--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
              Wayne - MD Non-Comm Class A
              2006 F350 CC DRW (6.0 DFC Tow haul & Bulletproofed)
              2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by WRingling View Post
                You might want to check and see if that style USB charger draws power even when nothing is plugged into it.
                This should be easy to check by seeing if there is any change when the bedroom 12v fuse is removed (assuming nothing else is powered on that circuit). I haven't created a "map" of the 12v fuse circuits yet (like I have with the 120v circuits), so it's on my "To Do" list.

Comment

My question has nothing to do with your mod, impressive though it was. Rather, I would like to know what you used to add the cool little yellow number boxes to your pics. I need to add a post about wiring and it would make it easier to show a number for each wire.

Comment

Originally posted by MeyerCamping View Post
                    My question has nothing to do with your mod, impressive though it was. Rather, I would like to know what you used to add the cool little yellow number boxes to your pics. I need to add a post about wiring and it would make it easier to show a number for each wire.
                    Powerpoint. I'll add a short tutorial "how to" to my "To Do" list and put it in the Forum Use channel.

Comment

Both of the USB ports died on their "maiden" voyage. One didn't work at all the first time I plugged in after a day's travel, the other worked one night and then quit.

I don't know why--yet--but hope to have an update soon.

Comment

Both of the USB ports died on their "maiden" voyage. One didn't work at all the first time I plugged in after a day's travel, the other worked one night and then quit.

I don't know why--yet--but hope to have an update soon.
                        Uh oh. First to go is the USB ports. Next will be the solar panels and charge controller, then the DC-DC charger, then the fridge. It's all gonna go up in smoke. Sorry, Howard. It was a really good run. I'll miss the how-to descriptions and exciting videos. . .

-Steve
                        2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                        Somerset, WI

Comment

The problem was the lack of clearance between the top of the USB port and the desk grommet. I think while towing the cabinet shifting rubbed the connections and the power leads right off the end of the plugs.

What I did was extend the USB port down by creating a "washer" out of piece of plywood. Drilled a hole the right size for the port to install and then used a jig saw to cut out the "washer" from the wood. A little sanding and a black paint--done! Nothing fancy, but it looks OK.

The wires themselves were soldered onto the USB port and covered with heat shrink. They aren't coming off again.

The picture doesn't show it, but the USB wire is now tucked behind the headboard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	USB Port Fix.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	47904

Conclusion on this Mod: Too much work for the result. If I was doing this again I'd use a panel mount USB port similar to the one that comes with the trailer, but with the updated power capability as documented by WRingling here https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...harger-upgrade

Howard

Comment

Working...
                          X