Fuse for Monitor Panel keeps blowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse for Monitor Panel keeps blowing

The 15 amp fuse for the monitor panel keeps blowing every time I try to let my slides out on my Solitude 375, now they will not come in at all and the fuse is not blown, where else do I need to check?

Hi Becky.

This has been a common problem on the Solitude hydraulic slides. Grand Design installed a 50 amp re-settable breaker for the slide outs. However, that has been problematic and the fix is to remove the 50 amp breaker and install an 80 amp version. I'll see if I can dig up the details and get back to you.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

beckyharper53 - I have moved your post the the "Ask Grand Design" section of the forum. Hopefully they will weigh in quickly with an answer. It appears that the 80 amp replacement breaker may solve the issue. But I'd like them to research it and confirm it. Also, they may be able to help you locate the existing breaker along with providing a replacement.

In the mean time, another possible suggestion is to make sure your battery is fully charged. If the battery voltage is low, you may not have enough current flow from the converter to power the slide circuit and subsequently kick the 50 amp breaker.

GDRV-Emily GDRV-Megan - Can you please look into this issue with the tech guys and see what can be done for Becky?

Thanks,

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

• beckyharper53
        beckyharper53 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Jim for the information, yes I did check my battery and it is fully charged, this is not the first time this has happened, so hopefully one of the GD tech's will get back with me soon.

Thank you TucsonJim for the tag!

beckyharper53 - so you have hydraulic slides? Does your hydraulic leveling work?

Comment

• beckyharper53
        beckyharper53 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I have hydraulic slides and no my hydraulic leveling is not working, won't even come on.

You either have no power to the pump due to tripped breaker to the pump motor, or if it has power, but not turning on, it could be a bad motor. So first, check your breaker. If you send me your VIN, I can find some more info on your specific unit.

Comment

• beckyharper53
        beckyharper53 commented
        Editing a comment
        Where is the breaker to the pump located? My late husband took care of all this, so I am learning. My VIN is 573FS432XH1108519

Try looking in the front compartment (under your upper deck). There should be fuses in there. Check to see if the big 80 amp breaker is tripped.

Comment

• beckyharper53
        beckyharper53 commented
        Editing a comment
        found the pump in the front compartment, no fuses and no breaker, the only breakers that I can find are inside the coach in a panel in the kitchen where my other fuses are located.

Next to the pump, or on the pump is an odd long shaped solenoid with three studs coming off of it, the center is the main power feed, follow the big wire cable to the circuit breaker.

Comment

• beckyharper53
        beckyharper53 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Megan, I'm afraid I am going to need a diagram if you can get me one, as the big wire cable runs into the other boot and through a couple of walls.

Originally posted by beckyharper53 View Post
      The 15 amp fuse for the monitor panel keeps blowing every time I try to let my slides out on my Solitude 375, now they will not come in at all and the fuse is not blown, where else do I need to check?
      I'm confused--why did you write "15 amp fuse" in this original post. What is a typo or was there a 15 amp fuse that was blowing?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Becky,
        From Lippert's manual, below is a diagram of the circuit described by GDRV-Megan. I'm afraid it doesn't help you isolate where the breaker is located.

There's a Solitude parked behind me at the campground where I'm at. I don't think it's a 375, but I'll see if the owner will allow me to look for the breaker and take a picture in the morning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Diagram.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	4696
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Final question for the night--please don't be offended, but how do you know the battery is fully charged? How did you test it?

Howard & Francine

Comment

Again--not sure why a "15 amp fuse" is referenced in your original post, but continuing on with the latter part of this thread here's a few pictures to help you find the self-resetting 50 (or 80) amp breaker.

WARNING: When you remove the cover shown below, those metal posts have the same potential as the positive on your battery. Be very careful not to short any of them to a ground source!

First--as previously noted the breaker is in the front storage compartment, on the back wall, all the way on the left (curb) side. It's under a cover.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Solitude Front Storage.JPG Views:	0 Size:	21.7 KB ID:	4712

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cover.JPG Views:	0 Size:	153.0 KB ID:	4713

Underneath that cover you'll find several self-resetting breakers. In this gentleman's Solitude, the bottom breaker is for the hydraulic motor. (Easy to follow the wire from the breaker to the hydraulic motor on the wall just to the left.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Breaker.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.6 KB ID:	4714

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hydraulic Power Line.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.1 KB ID:	4715

If you're not sure what to do at this point, my suggestion is to take your battery down to an Auto Zone (or similar auto parts store) and ask them do a load test. That will tell you for sure if your battery is good or not. (You can check a battery at rest and it looks good, but as soon as a load is put on the battery you can tell there's something wrong with it as the measured voltage will drop significantly.)

Good luck--and let us know what fixes your unit!

-Howard
            Last edited by howson; 09-28-2019, 08:53 AM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Battery voltage could be tested with a volt meter or go to the level controller and turn it on. Push the down arrow button once. The screen will show the battery voltage. KEN
              2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. It's HUGE.
              Update: Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19
              10-19-18 - 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4 X 4 Long Box.

Comment

Originally posted by orbiker View Post
                Battery voltage could be tested with a volt meter or go to the level controller and turn it on. Push the down arrow button once. The screen will show the battery voltage. KEN
                True, but it won't show you if there is certain defects with the battery. A load test will check the battery health, not just the voltage. The primary concern here is the amount of current that is required to move the slides. The converter will normally be enough for most 12V requirements, but the slides draw current in excess of the converter's capability and the battery supplements that. If the battery can't handle the load, the breaker can trigger and cause the slides not to move.

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                X