Internet options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet options

Our 2021 303rls has the Wingard 360 and I see on the ceiling a round cap with a WIFI logo on it. We were out last week and being close to home we had a OK signal on our phone so I just setup the hotspot which worked ok but computer WIFI slow. I have Version unlimited data. I'm not sure which way to go. If I get a router or modem will Version give me a sim card. What works best is what I'm looking for without breaking the bank
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

An awesome research tool for Internet in your RV is the mobile internet resource center:
    https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

I have a 2021 Reflection with the WIneguard system. The reviews are that it's OK, but not great, I didn't want to spend $300 for the router aspect of the Wineguard system.

I went with the Netgear Orbi 4GLTE for about $300 on Amazon. I also went with the T-Mobile 100Gig/month plan for $50/month. I couldn't be happier with this system. I'm now at a campground on the Shendandoah River about 15 minutes south of Front Royal Virginia in a very rural area. I'm blown away by the Internet speed I'm getting through the T-Mobile network with a 2 bars out of 4 bars signal using the Orbi device. (78 Mbps download, 6 Mbps upload). My iPhone 11 through T-Mobile is giving me about a 20 Mbs download. The multiple antennas and larger antennas in the Orbi device are just spectacular. Click image for larger version

Name:	Internet Speed.png
Views:	2548
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	50826
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

I have the Orbi at home, so how do you connect it to the 360?
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

The plate on the roof is the WIFI prep package. There are antenna leads and possibly a power lead under the cover for attaching the Winegard stuff. Some have reported the power lead is switched to a light so verify before you hook an appliance to the wiring.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

All I want to be able to do is watch streaming TV and get on my computer. I should call Verizon and see what they offer.
          2021 Reflection 303RLS
          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
            I have the Orbi at home, so how do you connect it to the 360?
            You have a different Orbi system. You need one with a 4G LTE radio:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Tri-B...8501168&sr=8-3
            Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
            2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
            2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Do you run a cable to the ceiling to connect the system, once connected do you just use your phone or did you get a sim card to use, sorry this stuff is confusing to me
              2021 Reflection 303RLS
              Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Do you run a cable to the ceiling to connect the system, once connected do you just use your phone or did you get a sim card to use, sorry this stuff is confusing to me
                Just to add to your options...

I have a gl.inet router which has multiple ways to connect. You can connect it via ethernet, USB tether or the way I use it which is via the Hotspot function on my phone.

I just turn on hotspot on the phone, connect the router to it as the source of the internet and from there on, all devices in the trailer can use the router like you would at home. Tablets, laptops, chrome cast, firetv, etc. It just routes the traffic through the phone and provides an internal network for the trailer.

(https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-AR.../dp/B07GBXMBQF)
                Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
                2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
                2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

All I want to be able to do is watch streaming TV and get on my computer. I should call Verizon and see what they offer.
                  Your cheapest best option would be to just WiFi tether your TV to your cell phone with its existing data plan. No extra equipment to buy or data plans to pay for. From there you can get as complicated as you want. I run a Peplink modem with grandfathered unlimited Verizon and ATT plans. I can tell you that you won’t want to rely on any park WiFi, especially if you’re looking to stream. The back end just isn’t there in most campgrounds.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

we used our cell hotspot last time out which worked ok slow for computer, If I was to buy the router that goes to the Wingard and put a Verizon card in it will that help with bosting the cell signal for streaming TV?
                    2021 Reflection 303RLS
                    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

we used our cell hotspot last time out which worked ok slow for computer, If I was to buy the router that goes to the Wingard and put a Verizon card in it will that help with bosting the cell signal for streaming TV?
                      The Wingard is an “ok” router/modem. You might notice a small improvement. It’s going to be very hit or miss unfortunately. Internet access is critical for us for work, so we carry a variety of tools such as multiple carriers in case one is better than another, an LTE booster, and the external antenna for the Peplink. Unfortunately streaming to your TV is one of the most bandwidth intensive things you can ask of an internet connection. You’ll find that the current plan offerings for mobile routers and hotspots while “unlimited” will have some kind of throttling after a set amount (I think 15GB but I’m not sure). Unfortunately your TV will eat that up quickly.

I agree with Jimmer above, the rvmobileinternet resource center while a paid site is the best resource for figuring out your need’s and systems.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Has anyone used this Verizon Orbic Speed Mobile Hotspot

2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Has anyone used this Verizon Orbic Speed Mobile Hotspot
                          I used an older version of it at one point. None of the hotspots have as good of modems in them as what’s in your phone (assuming it’s only a couple years old). Hotspot modems lag behind phones but a few years at least. The main advantage to then is you don’t need to have your phone in the rig to have service. If you’re looking to improve your speed and connection strength, the best thing is an exterior antenna. Obviously you cannot connect one to your phone, some hotspots do have antenna ports, but you’ll usually need adapters to use them.

Neil Citro

Comment

We bought a “mofi “ for about 300$ its 4g. Now they have a 5g for 500$. We have one at our house ( live in the country) we have Roku’s, computers, and 8 cameras. We have one in the Rv as well. We use 3 cameras , two tv’s with roku’s , two lap tops and two phones, it’s a game changer. We took one of our old phones in to att and asked for them to put a SIM card in it and add it to our unlimited plan ($10 month) , then went home and put that SIM card into the mofi after I activated it on the phone. The only thing I would change is to add a signal booster to the set up for places that have horrible signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverguidenurse View Post
                              We bought a “mofi “ for about 300$ its 4g. Now they have a 5g for 500$. We have one at our house ( live in the country) we have Roku’s, computers, and 8 cameras. We have one in the Rv as well. We use 3 cameras , two tv’s with roku’s , two lap tops and two phones, it’s a game changer. We took one of our old phones in to att and asked for them to put a SIM card in it and add it to our unlimited plan ($10 month) , then went home and put that SIM card into the mofi after I activated it on the phone. The only thing I would change is to add a signal booster to the set up for places that have horrible signal.
                              Watch your bill AT&T can tell you've switched devices...

I use a pepwave with both Verizon and AT&T sims. Usually one of them works well. I also have a Weboost Destination system. The weboost works, if you set it up correctly, and there's enough signal to boost. It's worked well for us so far, but you are still dependent on having a cell tower somewhere around. They could also do a lot better with their feedback codes.

-Mike-
                              2022 Reflection 31 MB w/ Goose Box
                              2021 Chevy 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X