Charred/scorched wall.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Wood will begin to char somewhere between at 248F and 302F. Wood will ignite at 536F to 896F which is rather high. If GDRV or the supplier has done a proper failure mode & effects analysis, of worse case temperatures at the back of the unit, we would be ok with the heat tape.

Leave a comment:

• GDRV-Emily
    replied
    Good afternoon. I did want to provide this info for you. It was posted by myself on a FB post that was similar to this. You had asked for the GDRV stance, so I wanted to provide it to you!

We take your concerns extremely serious and always act accordingly in matters of public safety. Each concern is examined and the appropriate response is then shared with the public. My responses must be carefully crafted to avoid any confusion and to try and prevent escalation of an issue, especially issues where an owner fears they have a safety concern.

In the matter of discoloration behind the High Point Microwave/Convection oven, it was determined by the vendor that when the unit is used for extended periods of time, exhaust can discolor the vinyl wall board but does not become hot enough to result in combustion. There are absolutely zero incidents of combustion related to this concern.

For customers who have experienced this concern, we are advising the use of aluminum foil faced tape to act as an additional heat barrier behind the exhaust vent of the convection oven. It is also acceptable to use a thin piece of metal or EGS to the same end.

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Canyonlight
    replied
    Sometime ago (several months as I recall) GDRV began installing exterior "flapper" vents again. Makes me wonder if this excessive heat and wall burning issue was the reason or if it was simply that a number of folks have requested for quite some time that vents be part of the build as they used to years ago..........or maybe another reason(s).

Dan

Leave a comment:

replied
    Read the OPs post and see this is a convection micro. Wondering which function is resulting in the back panel heating? Burning on both functions? It would be worth testing the microwave on a bench to see if there are differences in temperature between convection and microwave operations and to measure those surface temperatures.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2019, 05:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hwktlg8
    replied
    I agree with the air gap. I put a few washers in between the aluminum plates to give a few mm of air. Like you mentioned the microwave sits basically right against the wall. I even found the paperwork for installation even in the ventless instal such as GD uses there is no mention of minimum distance from the back wall. I thought about the shim idea as well- but the upper mounting hardware screws through an upper cabinet and a 2x4 so this would be difficult to change. As far as taking to dealer- I do all my own maintenance/repairs have not needed or wanted to bring back in yet. Right now Im leaning towards not using the convection fxn at all.

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Hwktlg8
    Do you have an air gap between the aluminum sheets and the wall. If not all they will do is transfer the heat better so you will still have an issue. Can you get an air gap between them and is there a path for air flow. It appears the microwave mounts directly to the wall and has direct contact with the wall per you pictures. Now if you do not have an air gap or air flow path is it possible to shim the mounting bracket off the wall so a thin bat of rock-wool (fireproof) insulation could fit. I have used wood stove insulation too as it comes in 1/4 in bats to wrap pipe with. Do not use fiberglass or cellulose insulation - it must be rated fire stop. However I agree this is something that needs to be seriously looked at. Has your dealer seen this?

Just trying to help

Leave a comment:

• Hwktlg8
    started a topic Charred/scorched wall.

Charred/scorched wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1FE47EF2-5EEB-4C30-95DA-C94699F1F598.jpeg
Views:	1059
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	5542This has also been noted elsewhere but am curious what GD official stance is on this. I really feel this should be a recall event. Not all members are going to have the technical know how or ability to fix on theIr own. I have seen some response that maybe due to a blown internal fuse- not the case. I removed mine prophylactically to look as micro is still functional. Absolutely no way would this pass muster in a sticks/bricks.
    This has been noted before but I finally got around to pulling the microwave based on other owners posts. 2017 377 March build with High pointe micro. We are weekenders and get out approx 6 weekends and 2 week long trips a yr. use the microwave regularly but convection function infrequently. I have meant to pull out the mico and check for thr reported charring that can occur on the wall. Got around to pulling our micro and was not at all shocked to see the same. Definitely a safety issue. Based upon response on FB it doesnt sound like GD has any concerns because there has not yet been a “combustion event”. This absolutely is a fire risk and should be a recall. Until one of us burns down our unit I doubt there will be.

My fix was to go to local Menards and purchase 6”x18” aluminum sheet. I cut in half- double stacked and screwed in the wall to act as a heat shield. Still not sure about using the convection function and def would not use if I was not present at the rig to keep an eye on it.
    Attached Files
Working...
X