Insignia Oven Issue on 395MS - Successful Fix Provided

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia Oven Issue on 395MS - Successful Fix Provided

We just picked up our new 395MS on 8/4/21 in Petersburg Indiana and heading home to Idaho. Used the oven once and worked just fine. Went to use it again tonight and some strange behavior occurred that I wanted to share. Hopefully others might benefit.

BTW, the stove top works perfectly fine. Upon attempting to light the oven tonight, the piezo igniter would fire and a pilot flame would appear. This occurs when you turn the knob CCW to the "flame" symbol and depress the knob. BTW I pulled two screws from the bottom to remove the burner cover and observe. Also, the door does not have to be open for proper lighting. They say to for gas safety reasons. However when I released the knob to rotate to turn the over on, the pilot flame would extinguish. My first thought was the thermocouple. I tried a few more times, but same behavior. Something subtle that I noted was that the knob, when depressed to light the pilot, was contacting the front panel and didn't seem to have much travel when depressing. The panel limited the amount I could depress. I'll spare you the rest of the details, but I fixed the problem.

What I discovered was the knob was able to slide down the post of the valve further than desired and limited how much the valve could be depressed. I then measured and inserted a short wood dowel like material into the body of the know to limit the engagement and prevent the knob from bottoming on the panel. Problem Solved!

For whatever reasons, not fully depressing the valve to light the pilot would not allow the pilot to remain lit. Now it works perfect every time. This was very subtle, so I wanted to share with others that might encounter a similar event.

Originally posted by 2fiftyr View Post
    We just picked up our new 395MS on 8/4/21 in Petersburg Indiana and heading home to Idaho. Used the oven once and worked just fine. Went to use it again tonight and some strange behavior occurred that I wanted to share. Hopefully others might benefit.

BTW, the stove top works perfectly fine. Upon attempting to light the oven tonight, the piezo igniter would fire and a pilot flame would appear. This occurs when you turn the knob CCW to the "flame" symbol and depress the knob. BTW I pulled two screws from the bottom to remove the burner cover and observe. Also, the door does not have to be open for proper lighting. They say to for gas safety reasons. However when I released the knob to rotate to turn the over on, the pilot flame would extinguish. My first thought was the thermocouple. I tried a few more times, but same behavior. Something subtle that I noted was that the knob, when depressed to light the pilot, was contacting the front panel and didn't seem to have much travel when depressing. The panel limited the amount I could depress. I'll spare you the rest of the details, but I fixed the problem.

What I discovered was the knob was able to slide down the post of the valve further than desired and limited how much the valve could be depressed. I then measured and inserted a short wood dowel like material into the body of the know to limit the engagement and prevent the knob from bottoming on the panel. Problem Solved!

For whatever reasons, not fully depressing the valve to light the pilot would not allow the pilot to remain lit. Now it works perfect every time. This was very subtle, so I wanted to share with others that might encounter a similar event.

Thank you for the informative post. I'm sure it is going to help someone else that experiences the same issue.

Since that was your very first post, please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

I hope you'll continue to contribute!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

2fiftyr Welcome to the Family and the forum!
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
      X