Fridge exhaust fan replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge exhaust fan replacement

Does anyone know if the Dometic refrigerator exhaust fan can be replaced from the upper outside vent or does the refrigerator have to be removed to do it? The difference in repair is $90 vs $200.
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Originally posted by Dennis&Phyllis View Post
    Does anyone know if the Dometic refrigerator exhaust fan can be replaced from the upper outside vent or does the refrigerator have to be removed to do it? The difference in repair is $90 vs $200.
    Thinking back on how my Dometic was installed...it would be easier to pull the refrigerator (at least a bit).

My 1350's fans were attached to a metal strip that was screwed into the back of the refrigerator. Not sure how that could be manipulated with the 'frig installed.

Of course, if you have a different 'frig YMMV.

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	1350.JPG Views:	0 Size:	221.7 KB ID:	63375
    Last edited by howson; 08-14-2021, 09:29 AM. Reason: Edited incorrect assumption.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have done it twice in my 2970RL through the top vent. The most recent time was while we were camping using the tailgate of my truck to get up to the vent. The trickiest part was unplugging and plugging the wiring from the thermocouple to the fans.

So I can say that on my trailer it can certainly, and has been, done. When it comes to repairs, and car dealers are the same way, there is the 'by the book' way and the other way. All quotes are based on the by the book way. Then their tech does it the other way and they are making more money.

I replaced my fans for $18.00. The cost of two fans and some hardware.

Perfect example is replacing the heater core in my TV calls for removing the entire dash and heat/ac box. Total of $700 labor for a $35 part. I replaced the heater core without removing my dash and it cost me $35.00.

Edit: I've attached a before picture of the fans I did replace. Sorry I didn't take an after picture. So you can see that they are right there, at least on my trailer.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by OurNewEra; 08-13-2021, 11:49 AM. Reason: Edit: Add before picture.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I would agree, its probably way easier to pull the fridge. You would not need to completely remove it, just pull it back a foot or so and you would have easy access to the fans.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

I have done it twice in my 2970RL through the top vent.
          That's an excellent pic / angle of the fans I don't have.

Did Baffle has to come out,? A technician with some dexterity I can see how it would be possible. Sliding the fridge out a few inches is not hard and should definitely make it possible.

Txs for the post! (Typing on my phone so sorry for all the spelling goofs.)

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

That's an excellent pic / angle of the fans I don't have.

Did Baffle has to come out,? A technician with some dexterity I can see how it would be possible. Sliding the fridge out a few inches is not hard and should definitely make it possible.

Txs for the post! (Typing on my phone so sorry for all the spelling goofs.)
            I don't have the board/baffle in the top vent. Never did have it.
            Mike & Lisa
            Central Florida
            2021 Imagine 2970RL
            1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I was able to remove my vent fans from my 303 RLS by removing the upper vent baffle. It was difficult but you can do it with a little patience.
              John & Cindy
              2019 303 RLS
              2018 F250

Comment

Dennis is thinking about doing the work himself but I watched a video on removing the fridge and it doesn’t look easy for someone with back troubles. We’re not even sure a new fan will fix the problem. The freezer works great but we have to keep a block of ice in the lower compartment to keep it cool enough. Is it possible there’s a bad sensor that isn’t making the fan work?
                Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Comment

Dennis&Phyllis Have you checked the door on the refrigerator portion. If the freezer seems cold enough, around zero, I would check there. We had a door seal come loose one time and the same thing was happening. If it is the fans perhaps a secondary set could be installed in an alternate location. I am very glad our 2600RB does not require fans.

Dave
                  flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Dennis&Phyllis

There is a sensor in the fridge compartment located on the silver fins in the back top. It is slipped into a white plastic holder that slides up and down on the fin. Check to make sure that the sensor is slipped into the holder and this is all attached to the fin. I think mine is on the second fin close to the top. Not sure if this will help or not.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      Dennis&Phyllis

There is a sensor in the fridge compartment located on the silver fins in the back top. It is slipped into a white plastic holder that slides up and down on the fin. Check to make sure that the sensor is slipped into the holder and this is all attached to the fin. I think mine is on the second fin close to the top. Not sure if this will help or not.

Brian
                      That sensor I’m aware of and should maybe test first or replace. It tends to fall out of the holder so we fixed that problem. Can it be easily replaced if necessary?
                      Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                        Dennis&Phyllis Have you checked the door on the refrigerator portion. If the freezer seems cold enough, around zero, I would check there. We had a door seal come loose one time and the same thing was happening. If it is the fans perhaps a secondary set could be installed in an alternate location. I am very glad our 2600RB does not require fans.

Dave
                        I don’t think that’s a problem but definitely worth checking. Thanks.
                        Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Comment

That sensor I’m aware of and should maybe test first or replace. It tends to fall out of the holder so we fixed that problem. Can it be easily replaced if necessary?
                          The sensor wire goes thru the fridge wall and out the back to the control board. I have not replaced one but would think that if the wires were disconnected the sensor may be pulled thru to the inside of the fridge, not sure if that is the correct way though.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I replaced it with an aftermarket thermister on a Dometic fridge in my old SOB trailer. I used one of these as it worked great. Replaced the sliding thing with a knob.

https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Hi

I had a similar problem with my fridge which was noisy, I was able to replace the fan easily from the rear access with patience and good tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X