Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fridge and Freezer not working DESPERATE FOR HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge and Freezer not working DESPERATE FOR HELP!!

DESPERATE FOR HELP - PLEASE!!!

I'm parked for the winter and my fridge quit working. There is power to it, but it will not cool either the fridge or freezer - its sitting at ambient temps. I checked the fuses outside, everything is good. Did continuity checks on both fuses. I have no idea where to start troubleshooting here. I have tried unplugging all power, putting it on LP and AC, nothing works. When I put it on LP is does light up, but its not cooling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by snakeboost View Post
    DESPERATE FOR HELP - PLEASE!!!

I'm parked for the winter and my fridge quit working. There is power to it, but it will not cool either the fridge or freezer - its sitting at ambient temps. I checked the fuses outside, everything is good. Did continuity checks on both fuses. I have no idea where to start troubleshooting here. I have tried unplugging all power, putting it on LP and AC, nothing works. When I put it on LP is does light up, but its not cooling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Do you see any yellowish residue behind the refrigerator?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M
    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Also, it will take 24 hours to cool down. Are you waiting that long?
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by snakeboost
        When I put it on LP is does light up, but its not cooling.
        So your saying the burner is lit, and you have waited at least 3-4 hours, and the fridge is not cooling?

OffToHavasu 's comment is pretty important. Do you see any yellowish residue in the compartment behind the fridge. This could indicate an ammonia leak (the refrigerant that powers the fridge)

Since it's January, where are you? What's the outside ambient temperature?
        Mike
        2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

snakeboost

I have removed your duplicate post in the other thread to keep your issue in one area.

If you would let us know what model of refer you have and or the model of RV and year this will help us get you more information. I would also ask that have you waited long enough for the refer to cool down? as stated above this could take 24 hours or longer.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

My 80 year old neighbor called me two days ago and wanted to know if I knew anything about refrigerators. He had his replaced last December and it has quit working. Why does stuff always quit 10 days out of warranty? We went through the basic does it have power etc. Then he told me the light would not come on, but the indicator had power... and it would not cool.

I had him turn off all power, turn the breaker off, pull the 12v fuse, then turn it back on and wait. Now the light inside would come on. After 4 hours he told me it still was not cooling. I gave him the bad news that I did all I knew to do. He said ok and thanks and told me he would call a repairman the next day, but he called me instead, told me the refrigerator was now working. Hmmmm!!!!

What I think happened is he did not get the refrigerator door closed. When this happens on mine it beeps for a bit, both he and I are of an age we cannot hear this beep. Then after a time it quits beeping and basically just shuts down. The front indicator works, but until the refrigerator is reset (rebooted) it doesn't work. This process has not been confirmed via documentation, only by personal observation.

My second thought is too cold to cool. It takes low teens or sub-zero for this to occur, but there is a point where it's too cold for the gas to evaporate in a gas-evaporation refrigerator. I had it happen to me once and I have talked 3 or 4 other rv'ers of different makes and models that had it happen to them as well. When it warmed back up the refrigerators started working again. We cured this by placing a 100 watt incandescent light bulb behind the panel near the coils. It provides just enough heat to keep things working. One neighbor said that this did not work for him, when I went over to look he had a 100 watt LED lightbulb back there, he said he wanted to save on his electric bill...

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

d2reid
              Hi Dallas,

My smile for the day . . . "he had a 100 watt LED lightbulb back there, he said he wanted to save on his electric bill..."

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
              X