Fridge cool down speed - gas vs. AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge cool down speed - gas vs. AC

Hey all. Pretty new to RV'ing. We have not been in the trailer much but are going to cook and stay there tonight. I understand that these 2 way fridges take a long time to cool down. Do they cool faster using propane than on AC? My wife is going there around noon. Should I have her turn on the fridge using propane rather than elec? Electricity doesn't have to be refilled so it is definitely preferable but I would like it ready to stock ASAP. If I do this, is it safe to just shut it later (when it has cooled) and immediately restart on electric?

Originally posted by wdonovan View Post
    Hey all. Pretty new to RV'ing. We have not been in the trailer much but are going to cook and stay there tonight. I understand that these 2 way fridges take a long time to cool down. Do they cool faster using propane than on AC? My wife is going there around noon. Should I have her turn on the fridge using propane rather than elec? Electricity doesn't have to be refilled so it is definitely preferable but I would like it ready to stock ASAP. If I do this, is it safe to just shut it later (when it has cooled) and immediately restart on electric?

It shouldn't really matter, the absorption part works off of heating an ammonia tube, either a propane burner or electric element. No reason not to use electric. Figure 24 hours, especially if you are putting warm items in it. You could speed it up by putting some ice packs in it.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

wdonovan - welcome to the forum! When you get a chance, check out the welcome letter and the forum use channel. It's full of information and will help you find most answers to your questions. Spoiler alert, you'll have lots of questions and that's a good thing

You are correct that the fridges take some time to cool down and it's best to 'pre-chill' it before use. I find ours cools the fastest on propane, but to be honest with what really helps, put some ice blocks in the fridge and freezer to assist the system. Also make sure your food is pre cooled. IE, don't put in a warm 6 pack in the fridge when you first turn it on and expect the fridge to cool down quickly.

If you search the forum, I am sure you'll find more useful tips on fridge cooling, including improving the airflow behind the fridge.
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Will have Momma fire it up and store the food in the outside mini fridge til the big one cools. It's 40 deg here so the mini should fill in fine without being turned on. I have a Yolink temp / hum sensor to monitor the fridge. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Comment

Working...
        X