Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Preventive Maintenance

I was inspired by this persons Youtube video:
    5 Things I Do To The RV Every Year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rws1IIVB5I

The short list from the video was:
    1. Clean electrical cords with Deoxit to remove corrosion. https://amzn.to/3L8tibH
    2. Clean the emerency brake disconnect switch with Deoxit.
    3. Repack Bearings / Check Brakes
    4. He buys a new hose for freshwater. (He went on at length how all hoses grow stuff, and it's just easier to buy a new one than it is to sanitize. He just takes last years, and marks it as black tank flush, and throws the existing black tank flush away.
    5. Check all Smoke/CO/Propane alarms and Fire Extinguishers.
    He also mentions he check the roof several times a year, and tires every trip, this was more the stuff he never thinks about.

The only thing I would add to this list is:
    1. Check my battery. For me, with a sealed lead acid, I check to make sure it has water, maybe have a stress test on it.
    2. Inspect all the silicon seals on the side of the unit. I too check the roof alot, but the sidewalls, not so much.
    3. Sanitize the water system. (i usually do this as I de winterize)
    4. Clean the AC system. Actually remove the shroud, and get AC cleaner on there. Chad from Changing Lanes has a great video on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbm8hOyZlrU
      1. EVAP Foam No Rinse (https://amzn.to/3JmFJPt) - For the Evaporator coil (for the air we breath)
      2. AC Foam Cleaner (https://amzn.to/3smSdzk) - For condenser coil. Cheaper cleaner for the coils that don't touch the air we breath.

What do you guys have for stuff you only do once a year?
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

I'm not as thorough on the A/C maintenance as above, but annually also:
    - clean/inspect undercarriage which usually involves filling any new gaps in the chloroplast, removing rust from frame and suspension and re-painting where needed;
    - inspect, re-torque, and lubricate hitch components; and
    - wax, wax, wax until my arm is ready to fall off.

Mike
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I think once this list is compiled, we should add it to the Reference channel a sticky. (Just a reminder to do this).

Very good list so far.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Some of the items off my yearly list of items that hasn't been listed yet
        • Rinse out the water heater before de-winterizing to remove any mineral deposits
        • Do a pressure test on the plumbing system, although installing a fixed pressure gauge would be better
        • Do a soap test on all propane fittings*
        • Check for any loose screws, and seal behind the heads on those on the exterior
        • On top of checking the chloroplast, I check the tarp type material for any holes
        • Soon to be added to my list, grease suspension wet bolts
        *Please see the post below by Jlawles2 about doing soap tests too frequently on fittings
        Last edited by StephenO; 02-06-2022, 12:12 PM.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Be careful of doing the soap test yearly as the soap and water combination may lead to increased deterioration of the steel piping in the propane system.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Awesome lists. I began greasing the chassis before each trip. Grease is pushed out of the bushings quickly where just a few shots before each trip will help to reduce wear. Check U bolt torque if it has not already been added.

Jim

Comment

Maintenance:
              1. Run Furnace, Propane HWH Monthly
              2. Replace White Water Monthly
              3. Leather treatment on Recliner/Sofa Quarterly
              4. Wax and refill propane SemiAnn
              5. Wet Bolts (14) SemiAnn
              6. Grease axles 12K CW
              7. Grease Reese hitch Ann
              8. U Bolts 75# Ann
              9. Pin Box Annual
              10. Tires RV and Truck 4 Years
              11. Tires Load+5PSI as needed.
              12. Eternabond Roof – Once and done.
              13. Torque AC bolts – Once and done.
              2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

As a matter of routine, I carry my #2 Robbie when doing any maintenance to snug the, seemingly, hundreds of loose & backed-out screws. I've read in these threads the use of a dab of silicon under the screw head. Does this work, or just create more issue for later?

Mike
                Mike & Sonya
                2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                Blue Ox SwayPro
                2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
                  As a matter of routine, I carry my #2 Robbie when doing any maintenance to snug the, seemingly, hundreds of loose & backed-out screws. I've read in these threads the use of a dab of silicon under the screw head. Does this work, or just create more issue for later?

Mike
                  Mike,

This works very well if you can find a screw that is not stripped. Lightly coat the entire thread as well.

Here is one of many methods in repairing a stripped out screw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2kni03dn94

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2022, 07:50 AM.

Comment

NoPeeking Mike, the silicone thing is to help seal and prevent the steel screws from rusting. It probably creates a bit more of a hassle, but not having a leaking, rusting screw in the exterior to deal with at a later date is probably much easier as a leaking screw can lead to lots of damage due to water infiltration.

Jim, I like to glue my toothpicks in place as this helps to keep them from falling out later if the screw is removed. While in college I saw a guy use zip tie pieces in the screw hole.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      NoPeeking Mike, the silicone thing is to help seal and prevent the steel screws from rusting. It probably creates a bit more of a hassle, but not having a leaking, rusting screw in the exterior to deal with at a later date is probably much easier as a leaking screw can lead to lots of damage due to water infiltration.

Jim, I like to glue my toothpicks in place as this helps to keep them from falling out later if the screw is removed. While in college I saw a guy use zip tie pieces in the screw hole.
                      Joseph,

Yes glue will work better with a filler material. Sometimes, I use an epoxy mix through an injector from west systems. Folks need to be careful with epoxies where they need to be safe for foam. I'm sure you are aware to never apply fiberglass resin to a foam panel as the foam will disappear in minutes. General info to help the members.

https://www.westsystem.com/application-tools/

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Appl...92488877&psc=1

Another project is to purchase stainless screws to replace all on the exterior. I believe Howard may have already did this work and can share a link for screws?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        Another project is to purchase stainless screws to replace all on the exterior. I believe Howard may have already did this work and can share a link for screws?
                        Not me! Not a bad idea for my "To Do", list, though.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

[QUOTE=StephenO;n75997]Some of the items off my yearly list of items that hasn't been listed yet
                          [[*]Do a pressure test on the plumbing system, although installing a fixed pressure gauge would be better[*]*

I would like to know about installing a fixed pressure gauge. Where and how?
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                            I would like to know about installing a fixed pressure gauge. Where and how?
                            Hi Vivian, the installation of a fixed pressure gauge has been discussed a few times on the forum, so I am sure you'll be able to find detailed information about it, particularly posted by Cate&Rob

To summarize it though, you can install a pressure gauge anywhere on the cold water piping system, ideally in a spot where you can see the gauge and 'keep an eye on it'. Most likely in the bathroom or kitchen, where you'll have access to the cold water pipe and somewhere to mount the gauage.

To tap into the piping, you can use tee fitting, being mindful of the ID hose issue, also discussed lots here

Again, I am highly summarizing this, but as you know fire any questions away.
                            2019 Imagine 2400BH
                            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                              Jim
                              I do this but very slowly. When I have to remove something, it gets reattached with stainless screws. I keep a varied selection in the garage and in the tool box when travelling.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              2021 303RLS
                              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
                              X