Residential Fridge Venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential Fridge Venting

We will soon be replacing the Norcold 2118 in our Momentum 397 with a Whirlpool residential style fridge. It will be tight but should fit in the existing fridge opening. For those who have replaced their absorption fridges, how are you venting the residential? I would like to close off the vents in the rear to help with climate control inside the RV but by doing so would leave very little space for proper ventilation.

Originally posted by awheeladventure View Post
    We will soon be replacing the Norcold 2118 in our Momentum 397 with a Whirlpool residential style fridge. It will be tight but should fit in the existing fridge opening. For those who have replaced their absorption fridges, how are you venting the residential? I would like to close off the vents in the rear to help with climate control inside the RV but by doing so would leave very little space for proper ventilation.
    I used rigid pink foam in the hole and then had pieces of black matte finish plexiglass cut the size of the old access panels. Been great for three years. Residential fridges vent out the bottom into the living space.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Here are some photos of my conversion. My fridge was in a cabinet by itself across from the rest of my kitchen so I just removed the cabinet. I probably tried filling the access panel with black spray foam and then black tape but it never looked good. The last picture is the panel I had made. They were not too expensive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C1C4E246-1168-45BD-85E2-297251C939BA.jpeg
Views:	415
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	87835

Name:	E3105BD3-8CAD-4C12-A455-348AC6992B7C.jpeg
Views:	386
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	87837

Name:	E7A3A558-E0B6-49A4-9844-480B6623F3B1.jpeg
Views:	408
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	87834
      Attached Files
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

We sealed off the top vent but left the bottom one open. Our LG fridge vents at the bottom right at the lower vent. I monitor the temperature back there and occasionally it gets a bit too warm. When that happens, I just remove the panel. The only other time we had an issue was when the outside temp hit around 5 F I had to add a reflectix barrier to keep the heat in.
        https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/p/residential-fridge.html
        -
        Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
        2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
        2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
        Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

I sealed the OEM vents, too. There is some space (it's small!) around the sides and bottom. No issues to date with the Haier residential install (closely mirrors ncitro 's install). Definitely SWMBO's favorite mod to the trailer.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for everyone’s replies. We installed a Whirlpool counter depth fridge this past week because it seemed to fit the opening without having to modify anything but the top of the opening and move the propane line back a little. We closed off the vents with plywood and lined the opening with Reflectix. I’m a little worried about having enough ventilation and may add a small wire screen in the lower plywood covering behind the vent. So far the new fridge is working out great.

Comment

Just remember if you add the ventilation it will allowed cold air in and also hot humid air.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
              X