Propane Fridge gas usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Fridge gas usage

I'm off grid with my new 310 GK, Fridge model Norco 2118ST prop/elect. On propane all the time as the electrical draw using the inverter is brutal.

The fridge is working well & set to #5, everything seems to be working correctly.

The usage for a 30lb bottle of propane is every 8 days, my previous much smaller fridge approx. 30 days. I never expected it to use that much additional propane, I had actually hoped improvements in technology might have improved it.

I have had it connected to shore power & the fridge on electric. No loose of propane so I'm very sure no leaks, when on propane consumption of both tanks is the same.

Does this usage seem normal compared to others?
    2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
    2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box
    2ea 200ah lithium BT heated

That seems like a lot to me.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Since operation on either propane or electric seems to require excessive fuel/power consumption, it would seem that the cooling system is not reaching the temperature set point. This could be a cooling system problem or something as simple as a door not sealing properly. An internet search suggests 1 to 1.5 lbs of propane per day for fridge operation. This seems about right to me . . . we often run our smaller fridge on propane and I don’t know that we would get 30 days from a 30 lb tank. . . but, we certainly get more than 8. I would guesstimate something in the 20 day range.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Do you run a fan inside the fridge to circulate the air? Have you checked to make sure your external fans are both working? I don't know if your model has fans, but I Would assume they do like other models. The external fans can be seen from the top vent. They turn on when the sensor closes on the coil. You can jump the sensor to see if the run.
        2020 GD 320G
        2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Since operation on either propane or electric seems to require excessive fuel/power consumption, it would seem that the cooling system is not reaching the temperature set point. This could be a cooling system problem or something as simple as a door not sealing properly. An internet search suggests 1 to 1.5 lbs of propane per day for fridge operation. This seems about right to me . . . we often run our smaller fridge on propane and I don’t know that we would get 30 days from a 30 lb tank. . . but, we certainly get more than 8. I would guesstimate something in the 20 day range.

Rob
          Today I tried to find some spec for fuel consumption, no such luck. I believe there may have been a power figure for 120v, I will check that vs my inverter draw.

I do have an inside thermometer & the fridge is cooling fine @ mid point on the thermostat. No issue with how it works, I can hear the fans running.

Tried calling Norcold, I was #38 in the cue & gave up. Then for more suffering I tried the dealer......normal he told me...... then said it's impossible to give a usage amount.
          2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
          2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Originally posted by RoyB View Post
            Do you run a fan inside the fridge to circulate the air? Have you checked to make sure your external fans are both working? I don't know if your model has fans, but I Would assume they do like other models. The external fans can be seen from the top vent. They turn on when the sensor closes on the coil. You can jump the sensor to see if the run.
            The fans are working, I can hear them running. Another point that maybe important, our ambient air temperature has been very cool for this time of year. 60*F, little under & a little over.
            2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Originally posted by Dale B View Post
              I'm off grid with my new 310 GK, Fridge model Norco 2118ST prop/elect. On propane all the time as the electrical draw using the inverter is brutal.

The fridge is working well & set to #5, everything seems to be working correctly.

The usage for a 30lb bottle of propane is every 8 days, my previous much smaller fridge approx. 30 days. I never expected it to use that much additional propane, I had actually hoped improvements in technology might have improved it.

I have had it connected to shore power & the fridge on electric. No loose of propane so I'm very sure no leaks, when on propane consumption of both tanks is the same.

Does this usage seem normal compared to others?
              That is almost exactly the performance we saw with ours. If you look inside the door, you will find the specs. The factory spec is 3000 BTU/hr. We found ours was running more than 50% duty cycle. If you crunch the numbers, at that duty cycle, a 30# tank will last about 9 days.
              We also found that after adding a bunch of stuff to the freezer, it would run continuously for over 24 hrs to get back down to about -16C (USFDA recommends -19 to -20 as nominal freezer temp BTW).
              We finally gave up on ours and replaced it with an LG residential. No regrets.
              -Rob-
              -
              Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
              2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
              2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
              Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post

That is almost exactly the performance we saw with ours. If you look inside the door, you will find the specs. The factory spec is 3000 BTU/hr. We found ours was running more than 50% duty cycle. If you crunch the numbers, at that duty cycle, a 30# tank will last about 9 days.
                We also found that after adding a bunch of stuff to the freezer, it would run continuously for over 24 hrs to get back down to about -16C (USFDA recommends -19 to -20 as nominal freezer temp BTW).
                We finally gave up on ours and replaced it with an LG residential. No regrets.
                -Rob-
                Well.....Tx's for that I guess ......just kidding of course. That is good information & confirmation what I'm finding. My fridge is nearly empty & it has been cool ambient the last several weeks. Did you make attempt to discuss your findings with Never Cold?

I'm brand new so I don't want to give up yet.
                2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Originally posted by Dale B View Post

Well.....Tx's for that I guess ......just kidding of course. That is good information & confirmation what I'm finding. My fridge is nearly empty & it has been cool ambient the last several weeks. Did you make attempt to discuss your findings with Never Cold?

I'm brand new so I don't want to give up yet.
                  Yes, we did. All they would say is that is performing within spec
                  We full time and spend most of our time in temperate climates so it shouldn't have needed to work overly hard.
                  We had it looked at a couple of times by dealers who said they couldn't do anything. I also refuse to spend time and money to fix something that the manufacturer says isn't broke.
                  If you want to check out our residential solution, you can read about it at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/p/residential-fridge.html
                  All the best -Rob-
                  -
                  Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
                  2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
                  2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
                  Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

I did find three issue's, two are very common. The drain tube was kinked just prior to the exit point, not draining. The center flap would "not" return to seal the RH door even after the shim solution.

The flap has guide located just above it, screwed to fridge body. Those screw holes were oversized so the screws only went into the insulation. As they loosened the guide dropped, downward pressure on the flap.

I've been able to lower the temp sitting, not hopeful or anticipating significant reduction in propane consumption.
                    2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Working...
                    X