GFCI clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI clicking

Yesterday, when I plugged into a 50a pedestal, my island gfci started repeatedly clicking. Wouldn't reset. Switched to 30 and good. Was late at night and moving on next day.
    Today same thing happened. Two possibilities come to mind. Failed gfci. Unlikely. Works on 30. 30a adapter ties neutrals together. Probably take plugs apart after hiking today.
    Never had a gfci repeatedly click. Like every 2 seconds. Anybody else experience it?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Working on 30 but not on 50 is interesting, I can not imagine there would be a difference. If this is your first night at the CG it may be their pedestal.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Do you have an EMS? Does it show anything?
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
        Do you have an EMS? Does it show anything?
        No. Not yet.
        2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Working on 30 but not on 50 is interesting, I can not imagine there would be a difference. If this is your first night at the CG it may be their pedestal.

Brian
          Second pedestal, same results. So pretty sure it is inside trailer. Probably take apart this evening. Will post any results. Or further questions.
          2021 303RLS

Comment

I would suspect the pedestal wiring to the 50A outlet. Your EMS should be able to diagnose this. I installed voltage meters at my switch panel for quick analysis. Jlawles2 Joseph’s idea .

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	8378E8CF-C219-4FFB-B788-00120D1AB486.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	106080
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy If you are in the same park, I would not suspect the pedestal. It could be farther up stream than just the pedestal like the main distribution area.

Check your neutral and ground. If you have a volt meter handy and are comfortable, check the neutral to both hots, and hot to hot, and neutral to ground (yes this could be an issue). I am suspect of the system possibly having a back feed on the neutral from one of the hot legs. When you go to 30A it probably switches primary legs to the one not having an issue.

Could even be someone else in the park having an issue that is throwing your GFCI off.

Have you done any wiring in the unit? If so, start there.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                Yesterday, when I plugged into a 50a pedestal, my island gfci started repeatedly clicking. Wouldn't reset. Switched to 30 and good. Was late at night and moving on next day.
                Today same thing happened. Two possibilities come to mind. Failed gfci. Unlikely. Works on 30. 30a adapter ties neutrals together. Probably take plugs apart after hiking today.
                Never had a gfci repeatedly click. Like every 2 seconds. Anybody else experience it?
                That's it's happened at two separate campgrounds effectively eliminates the pedestal or other camper.

There's been instances of the connector on the trailer going bad. Easy enough to pull that connector out and inspect the wires and security of the connections.

See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-on-a-315rlts and go to the 2:22 mark in the video to see a demonstration.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Well it was raining in Las Cruces today so I took the receptacles in the island apart. No issues. Then I noticed the receptacle under the table is also gfci protected from the island gfci. And I had a mouse deterrent device plugged in. So I thought... well... maybe that gizmo failed causing the problem. So I unplugged it and reconnected the 50a cord. All good. So I plugged the mouse deterrent back in. Still good. So the problem is gone for the moment. But I didn't fix anything. I'm sure this issue will show up again.
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                  X