Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right side front marker lamp on a 337RLS or similar fifth wheel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right side front marker lamp on a 337RLS or similar fifth wheel.

I noticed previously when sealing the lamp to stop a leak that the wires on the right side front marker lamp were very tight and barely allowed me to pull the lamp away from the trailer side.
    I have been steadily replacing the side marker lamps to a style I like better and today I tackled the front ones. The left side was easy and had a 6 inch service loop on it so that one was pretty straightforward. The right front however is banjo string tight and had almost no extra length. I had to cut the wires tight against the back of the stock lamp just to leave myself enough wire to connect the new lamp to. while I was doing this In noticed the positive wire had a rub through on the wire and was bare about 1/2" inside from the outer wall. Due to its tightness it had rubbed on the aluminum. I put a piece of loom over it and filled it with silicone and slid it over the wire to shield it. Now that the new lamp had a good 5" of slack I was able to push the wires back to alleviate the tension and I am confident the cover will prevent a short..... However, the small voice in me wants to find access to the wires and clean the entire splice up. The problem is that I dont see any way to gain access the wires. It seems as though that lamp was connected during assembly and then the wires were pulled back somehow leaving no extra wire and no way to get back to the original connection.
    Long story short, does anyone know what the access point to that wire would be ? It appears that it runs along that wall between the closet floor and the horizontal panel around the pinbox area. Obvioulsy I dont want to pull that panel but if there something I am missing access wise I would appreciate the heads up.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

That looks to be in a tough spot. I wonder if it accessible from the inside of the front closet, just thinking here.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I am pretty sure its between the closet floor and the outside horizontal panel. Either way the washing machine is in that spot so I would have to pull that out making that a no go.

Comment

I don't have a 337, but by looking at the external pictures and the internal ones, your options are limited.

I wonder if you can access it from the pin box by pulling the screws on the underside? Next option is to check and see as it looks like there is a raised section of floor in the front closet. Some careful measuring may reveal that the wires run in this raised section of floor.

I would look in the pin box while trying to find a solution and possibly the front storage area to see if the wires are visible. You might be surprised to find the wires run into the front storage and then split off to the various elements. You may also find that the front side and front top markers are connected (this may be where the excess wire got pulled).
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Rudy -- can you lend an assist here?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I did some flashlight work and the best I can tell is the panel around the pinbox would have to come down, the floor above isnt an option due to the washing machine plus I dont see an access point. I did pull the box off the floor between the dresser and the closet wall but that only has the drain pipe for the washer in it and doesnt open up enough to even see back the foot or so to that light.
            I am pretty sure I have the issue solved by covering that wire, when I fed the new wires for the new light back it forced the OEM wires back away from the wall. I am not sure that spending all the time to drop that panel is worth it for some wiring cleanup. As long as it doesnt give me any issues I think I will be okay. Worst case scenario is if the light loses power I could probably get a new wire fed through the hole in the sidewall back towards the forward compartment and repower it that way.
            Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

Scott

Full disclosure, after some thought I wonder if when I replaced the umbilical cord and installed the new junction box if I maybe took my slack on that line when I installed the new box. I did move it a little and I could see where the monkey fist of running lamp wires may have gotten moved just enough to take up the slack in that wire. My guess is that theres a wire covering the 2 forward side lamps and the upper clearance lamps on the cap. Good thing I didnt curse the assembly people

Comment

Working...
            X