Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is GD Design 2600RB 30 amp 120v or 30 amp 240v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is GD Design 2600RB 30 amp 120v or 30 amp 240v?

New owner here, and setting up the RV as a destination trailer. The electrician is laying the lines and setting up the electrical pole for a GD Design 2600RB and asks what is the system setup so he can know what type of wires to lay. I have looked at the manual, and it gives only general information and implies the system is 120 volts. I called the dealership, and they stated the system is a 30 amp 240v. I checked with another electrician for an RV park, and he told me that might be incorrect. So where can I find a definite answer on the electrical system specs? Is it 120v or 240v?
    Thank you if you know the answer! Woody

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230326_094458_Chrome.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	108998 It is 30 amp, 120 volt. NOT a dryer or welder wiring.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thank you, Ted!
      I appreciate that and saw that picture from an article by Michael Sokol (This has convinced me to buy his book). You can never ever be too careful when it comes to electrical.

But even though I saw that I still wanted some assurances because I thought the RV dealership would "know." Since you are a Senior Contributor, I will trust your words. I will call the RV dealership where I purchased the RV and give them a heads-up.

I REALLY appreciate that you have saved me a massive headache.

Woody

Comment

The Imagine 2600RB is a 30 amp unit. Make sure your electrician follows the advise from above. If you think that some day you may upgrade to a 50 amp RV you might want to make those provisions now.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Great idea! I will tell the electrician to put in the connection for that at the box. It is probably not much more in cost.
          Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
            Great idea! I will tell the electrician to put in the connection for that at the box. It is probably not much more in cost.
            Woody
            Here is an example Temporary Power Outlet Panel, Briidea RV Panel Outlet with a 20, 30, 50 Amp Receptacle Installed, Prewired, Weatherproof (amazon.com)​. If going this route it may change the wire size that you will need coming to this box.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Whew! I like that! That's a beauty. And I haven't bought the panel yet, so thanks for saving me the research time.
              Woody

Comment

MOST not all 50A RV's are twin 120V circuits. If you look in the breaker panel, the only double pole joined breaker is the main, all others are single pole. RV circuits should be wired for the neutral to carry the full load of one leg as the unit runs all of it's appliances on 120VAC. So technically the camper is running a 50A twin leg 120VAC circuit since none of the appliances use 240VAC for power.

I believe it was one of our members that noticed he could measure the amperage on the neutral while in one campground but not another. This we believe was due to the pedestal being wired with both legs of the plug being on the same phase.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thank you for teaching me more about the RV electrical system! I see I have so MUCH to learn.
                  Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
                    Thank you for teaching me more about the RV electrical system! I see I have so MUCH to learn.
                    Woody
                    Mike Sokol's book is well worth the few dollars he asks for it. He also has extensive documentation on his website here: https://rvelectricity.com/ as well as quite a few YouTube videos which you can easily find with a search on that site.

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      MOST not all 50A RV's are twin 120V circuits. If you look in the breaker panel, the only double pole joined breaker is the main, all others are single pole. RV circuits should be wired for the neutral to carry the full load of one leg as the unit runs all of it's appliances on 120VAC. So technically the camper is running a 50A twin leg 120VAC circuit since none of the appliances use 240VAC for power.

I believe it was one of our members that noticed he could measure the amperage on the neutral while in one campground but not another. This we believe was due to the pedestal being wired with both legs of the plug being on the same phase.
                      Neutral current on a normally wired 50A circuit is the difference in the line currents. It will only be zero when both lines have exactly the same current on them which is a pretty uncommon situation other than the zero case.
                      John & Kathy
                      2014 Reflection 303RLS
                      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Howard, I Appreciate your taking the time to share the link!

Woody

Comment

John and Kathy,
                          Thank you, I understand enough of what you are saying to know that I don't know enough. So, I will share this info with the electrician who installs the system for me.
                          Woody

Comment

If it were me, I would have them wire for 2 leg 50 amp. This will give you flexibility as you can still plug in 30 amp single leg (with a cheap adapter) and, if you get a 50 amp rv in the future, you're all set.
                            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I pulled 2 leg 50A wiring into my camper box for the first TT, but chose to leave one of the hot legs not connected and only used a single pole breaker in the box leaving the other leg unconnected on both ends. The when I upgraded to a 50A trailer, it was a simple breaker and plug change.

I chose to do this to keep from needing adapters at the house. Plugs and breakers are cheap in my opinion vs having to add connection points in the power feed.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X