Battery not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery not charging

Just got a Imagine 2050RB after sitting in my front yard for few days while cleaning and getting ready for a trip the battery died none of lights or anything works hooked up a 3 amp battery tender for 2 days and nothing the battery will not take a charge checked the fuse box inside the trailer and everything is fine. Now before I go buy a new battery is there anything else I can do? I'm thinking of taking the battery to get it tested at the local auto zone and maybe getting a regular battery charger if the battery is good. Then I got to find what my spouse left on to cause the battery to drain so fast.
    thank you

Originally posted by Ironhead1970 View Post
    Just got a Imagine 2050RB after sitting in my front yard for few days while cleaning and getting ready for a trip the battery died none of lights or anything works hooked up a 3 amp battery tender for 2 days and nothing the battery will not take a charge checked the fuse box inside the trailer and everything is fine. Now before I go buy a new battery is there anything else I can do? I'm thinking of taking the battery to get it tested at the local auto zone and maybe getting a regular battery charger if the battery is good. Then I got to find what my spouse left on to cause the battery to drain so fast.
    thank you
    Did you check the battery disconnect? If the red key can be removed the battery won't charge via the converter (how the battery is maintained when plugged in to shore power).

But....that doesn't explain why the battery won't charge with a charger (unless it's totally shot as you suspect).
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

A 3 amp battery tender would not be enough to keep up with the draws in the RV. With the lights on while cleaning this would almost be more than that. There is also the other draws that are present, radio memory, propane detector, fridge if that is on. All of these items would surely go over the 3 amp draw, even overnight with no lights on. If you have an extension cord ran out to the RV you can get an adaptor to go from the shore power connection to the extension cord. This way the converter/charger will keep the battery up and also provide you with plenty of 12 v dc power. You will not be able to run much on the 120 v ac power side with this set up though.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

thank you
        First welcome to the site. Howard is probably spot on in that your battery disconnect switch is off. You did not say if the trailer was plugged in or not to 120V while parked. If it was did you check for power there? If it is and you still don't have lights we will need to dig further as the converter should power them even with the battery dead. BTW even with everything off there are still parasitic draws on the battery that will drain it fast. Most of this is safety equipment (CO/propane detectors). Also if you have a compressor fridge it may be directly wired to the battery too, but most have solar with that option from the factory. Please let us know what you find

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

thank you
          You have already received some good responses - I would just add that you need to get yourself a multimeter and learn how to use it. The first thing you need to do is test the voltage at the battery. Until you know the state of the battery, everything else is just a shot in the dark. It is also important to understand a little bit about the DC circuits in your rig. While most go from battery to battery disconnect switch to DC panel, some are powered directly by the battery (through a fuse). You didn’t mention the year of the trailer, but since you said you just got it, It is probably new. As was already mentioned, everything new is coming with 12v refrigerators and a single solar panel. Unless you have very good sun, that 12v refrigerator will want more power than the solar can provide - especially if you are powering other devices as well.
          2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
          2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
          YouTube Chanel

Comment

I agree that the 3 amp charger is not enough. If the camper place did not give you one, I suggest in ordering a https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-609...%2C103&sr=8-21 (if you have a 30A cord) or a https://www.amazon.com/CircleCord-Ad...s%2C123&sr=8-7 (if you have a 50 amp cord). This will allow you to at least power the converter to keep the battery charged.

Note that not all chargers will start charging if the battery is below a certain voltage (9VDV -10VDC or higher). I have seen several that will not initiate the charge.

The one missing thing here is DID THE LIGHTS AND SUCH WORK BEFORE YOU STARTED THE CLEANING AND PREPPING? Not when you did the dealer walk through, but since you got home with the unit. This will help point you in the proper direction. I suspect you bumped the red key in the pass through (don't feel bad many of us have done the same thing). This will kill pretty much everything in the unit but still allow things like the power jack to work. BTW, does the jack still work (hints that the battery may still be good).

One other thing to consider, if you are not keeping the unit powered when stored, the battery will drain down over time due to the radio, gas detector and several other items that are connected directly to the battery.

In any case you should own a few tools and be comfortable using them. For a volt meter I like my https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as it will also allow me to test current draw if needed. Not "cheap" but not overly expensive. I also suggest a battery charger like https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== or similar for those times when you may need one. The converter in the camper is an excellent charger and should be able to charge a dead battery if it's still good, however if the converter goes out, a decent charger will float you along for a day or so until you can determine the issue and get it corrected.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X