Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverters

Hi,
    Im Bill K new member here i am looking to have a inverter installed on my GD 337 rls 2019 model
    can i hook the inverter to the gfi circuts only (breaker panel)

Originally posted by Billster View Post
    Hi,
    Im Bill K new member here i am looking to have a inverter installed on my GD 337 rls 2019 model
    can i hook the inverter to the gfi circuts only (breaker panel)
    There should be no issue with the GFI circuits as long as your inverter does not have GFI built in. I've seen some people have issues with two GFI circuits in series when the inverter had it as well.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Billster -- to expand a bit on what Neil said above, if the inverter has a NEMA outlet (a typical plug for something powered by 120vAC) it's my understanding that by code the inverter has a built-in GFCI. I could be wrong...read it someplace.

In contrast, if the inverter has connections to hard-wire the 120vAC output (like the Victron models popular with many members here), it most likely does not have GFCI built-in. That's actually good if the circuit being powered is already GFCI protected.

Decent article on inverters and GFCI circuits: https://blog.donrowe.com/2017/06/15/...gfci-tripping/

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Billster

Backing up a step here . . . assuming you want to power these circuits with either the inverter or shore power, the first thing you are going to have to sort out is a transfer switch. This needs to transfer line, neutral and ground from one source to the other, for things to work properly.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks guys and gals !! Im getting my 2500 watt pure sine inverter installed this Wednesday and was wondering if i could have
          center wire it into my breaker panel , just my gfi plugs so i do not have to run extention cords throughout when dry camping

Comment

Originally posted by Billster View Post
            Thanks guys and gals !! Im getting my 2500 watt pure sine inverter installed this Wednesday and was wondering if i could have
            center wire it into my breaker panel , just my gfi plugs so i do not have to run extention cords throughout when dry camping
            If you want the GFI outlets to be powered by shore power when plugged into shore power and by inverter when NOT plugged into shore power, you will have to do as Rob suggested and have an ATS and separate neutral/hot/ground (basically a subpanel) for the GFI outlets. The GFI breaker in the man distribution panel would, essentially, become the "inverter" breaker.
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
            X