Connecting Multiple Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
    Is load testing (the type they usually do at automotive stores) really a good idea on deep cycle lead acid batteries? As opposed to automotive batteries where a large current surge is needed to provide starting capabilities, RV batteries just need to provide a stream of relatively low current.

Wouldn't it be less harsh or damaging to charge the RV battery and then after a resting period check the voltage or specific gravity of the acid?
    Yikes...there's a ton of links on the internet when I searched for "load test a deep cycle battery". I can't vouch for any of the references, so I'll leave a definitive answer to others.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson

Maybe like other subjects and not have any one answer. I don't have a clue.

I had 3 year old battery in a Toyota that was load tested on a service appointment, and cratered the next day. I don't let them do that anymore.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but it was suggested in one of the posts.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

A deep cycle lead/acid battery should be easily able to handle a 100A load for about 10 seconds without significant voltage drop. If it can't, it needs to be replaced. You don't need to take the battery to a store to have them do what you can do yourself with an inexpensive load testing meter. The scale on the meter shows voltage drop with applied load and the scale is colour coded for what is good and what is not. The load is a resistive element, so this thing is basically a 12V toaster . . . it is going to get hot . . . something to remember when using it.

As background . . . I used to have a boat with a bank of six deep cycle 12V lead/acid batteries. One bad battery would cause the rest to discharge or the battery charger to over-charge the good batteries trying to charge the bad battery. Eventually, I put a switch on each battery feed. If things didn't seem right, I would turn off all the switches and load test each battery. This very quickly identified the faulty battery. I use a similar logic on the RV with two batteries and a 1/2/Both/Off switch.

BTW . . . none of this applies to the original question because the OP does not have lead/acid batteries.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	Load Tester.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	109705
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
        X