Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Multiple Batteries

Hello Everyone,

Just a question that is always in the back of my head when I put the batteries back into the RV after winter. Is there any items that I have to be careful of? I understand that the red (positive) cables are connected first, then the black (negative). However, sequence wise, do I connect all the batteries together first (both red and black), then connect the battery bank to the RV... or do I do all reds (batteries and rv) then all the blacks?

Also, I will have the entire RV shutoff with switches that I have installed, so there will be no loads (all red wires goes thru a switch prior to connecting to the components). Should I be concerned of sparks? Do I need to ensure the cables don't touch anything metal while I am connecting the cables?

Thanks in advance for the insight. This is the first year that I will be reconnecting multiple batteries to the RV along with a solar system and inverter.
    We live to serve our two Golder Retrievers
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 GMC Denali 3500

The reason that all the positives should all be connected prior to any negative terminals is so that you can tighten all the positives without worrying about creating a short, should the wrench hit some part of the chassis while tightening a positive terminal. Be sure all the positives are covered/guarded before connecting the negatives.

Make sure the solar charger is off or disconnected until the batteries are connected.
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

gtippett -- are your batteries in parallel (12v batteries) or are they in series (2 ea 6v batteries)?

Cate&Rob has a lot of experience with this, though on a boat, so I expect he'll chime in soon.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson, they are in Parallel, two 12 volts.
        2022 Reflection 303RLS
        2016 GMC Denali 3500

Comment

Also make sure batteries are fully charged before paralleling them, I am not sure why though just what I have learned.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Also make sure batteries are fully charged before paralleling them, I am not sure why though just what I have learned.

Brian
            Brian - If one battery is partially discharged, it will be seen by the other battery as a drain, and if the voltage potentials are significantly different, it would be similar to hitting the good battery with a short circuit.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by gtippett View Post
              howson, they are in Parallel, two 12 volts.
              Then AlexPeterson's and Country Campers' inputs covered it (to the best of my knowledge).
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

All good advice. The only thing I would add is to load test each battery before they are connected together. The biggest problem with a parallel battery system (unless you have a swiitch for each battery) is that a weak battery will discharge a good battery or cause the good battery to be overcharged.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Negative to rv last as Alex said. When doing battery banks, I always wrap the handles of my tools with electrical tape to guard against shorting any batteries.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Thanks Everyone for the responses. I have a Victron battery charger that I use on them while they are at my home. They are lithium's and they don't need much attention over the winter. As for the connections, I will do all the positives first then the negatives. So last question... with the loads off, as in the systems are isolated from the batteries by switches, I should not see a spark when connecting the negative cables, correct? As they won't be a sudden draw of power from the battery, right?
                    Last edited by gtippett; 04-05-2023, 09:17 AM.
                    2022 Reflection 303RLS
                    2016 GMC Denali 3500

Comment

Originally posted by gtippett View Post
                      Thanks Everyone for the responses. I have a Victron battery charger that I use on them while they are at my home. They are lithium's and they don't need much attention over the winter. As for the connections, I will do all the positives first then the negatives. So last question... with the loads off, as in the systems are isolated from the batteries by switches, I should not see a spark when connecting the negative cables, correct? As they won't be a sudden draw of power from the battery, right?
                      If the RV has a "true" battery disconnect (that you or someone else added) then it's unlikely there will be a spark. The OEM "battery disconnect", as you probably know, isn't a complete disconnect therefore a small spark may be witnessed (but still unlikely IMO).

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If the RV has a "true" battery disconnect (that you or someone else added) then it's unlikely there will be a spark. The OEM "battery disconnect", as you probably know, isn't a complete disconnect therefore a small spark may be witnessed (but still unlikely IMO).
                        Yup I understand the limitations of the OEM disconnect. Prior to reconnecting the batteries, I am installing the missing disconnects, one for the bus bar (power to the RV) and one for the inverter. I already have a disconnect for the solar panel installed.
                        2022 Reflection 303RLS
                        2016 GMC Denali 3500

Comment

I think you will be in good shape then. Connect batteries and then turn on the power and away you go.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

gtippett You might still see some sparking when hooking up the negative on the second (and more) batteries if the states of charge are slightly different. Juice from the higher state of charge battery might move towards the lower state battery. Should not be a big deal unless they are way out of balance.
                            Ottertail, Minnesota
                            2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                            2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Is load testing (the type they usually do at automotive stores) really a good idea on deep cycle lead acid batteries? As opposed to automotive batteries where a large current surge is needed to provide starting capabilities, RV batteries just need to provide a stream of relatively low current.

Wouldn't it be less harsh or damaging to charge the RV battery and then after a resting period check the voltage or specific gravity of the acid?
                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                              X