Red Wire and Green-Yellow Wire in same push-in connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Wire and Green-Yellow Wire in same push-in connector

This one is weird to me. Our fridge lost power and investing I found the 20A fuse below the A-frame was blown. Long story there but the root of my question is just past the fuse. The red wire enters a push-in connector with a green-yellow wire. This boggles me because isn’t that making the green-yellow hot. Isn’t green-yellow normally a ground? Has anyone else seen this?

fwiw, it’s on a 22 Imagine 2400BH.

I think I can answer my own question after more looking at it.

going to the back of the fridge is a wire housing that has two wires wrapped together. One is hot and one is the neutral. This bundle was split with one of the wires going to the neutral and the second going to the hot/red wire via the push-in. So what I was looking at was a green-yellow wire that is hot.

Comment

In the RV world, white wires are -ve (grounded to the frame) and any coloured wire is likely +ve. So, when a device that has the “normal” red wire as +ve is connected to the RV wiring, this means red to some other colour . . . as you have seen. On the -ve side, you will probably find device black connected to white.

Why is this? RVs are built to requirements set by their own industry. RVIA seems to have applied the 120 VAC logic where white is neutral to the 12 VDC circuits, making white ground.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

RVIA rules are mind boggling. I guess they are trying to keep from crossing AC and DC by using a combination of wiring techniques.

I do wish someone from the RVIA committee or someone whom help orchestrate the code would write a free consumer summary of what and why things are done by the methods they use. Might help us little people when there are issues.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yes, green/yellow is known as ground the world over....... except at the rvia.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
          X