Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If converter fails, can solar panel charge batteries while on shore power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If converter fails, can solar panel charge batteries while on shore power?

Hello from Canada! My friends who are in a 337rls arrived Saturday to continue on to Jasper with us. Their Norcold was throwing a low DC code so we started to investigate. Battery was at 10, removed positive and negative cables and checked voltage coming out of the cables, 12.6. Battery switch on but at power center noticed the converter breaker was tripped. He reset that and proceeded to go and find a new battery not so easy here. As you have been following, things are difficult to find here in the Rockies. A drive to Calgary and he found one and got it installed yesterday afternoon.

So I was wondering what we would have done if the converter was the culprit while in the middle of nowhere, I have a 100 watt solar suitcase with built in charge controller. Could this be used while on shore power to keep the battery charged while trying to locate a converter?
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

When my Father in law installed lithium batteries and a new solar system in their fifth wheel, he decided it wasn't worth upgrading the converter to support the new batteries since he had ample battery capacity, and solar output. ​​​Instead, when they are camping with power hookups, he simply switches off the converter breaker, and let's the solar keep the batteries charged. When the trailer is parked, he just uses a separate lithium capable battery charger.

To answer your question, I would say that yes, that is possible to do. The only thing I would be looking at is the amount of solar wattage you have available. 100w may not be enough, especially if you encounter some cloudy days. Maybe an excuse to get a few more panels?
    ​​​​​​
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Well it is the converter his batteries did not charge last night. Now to try to find a converter somewhere. This trip has not been easy for issues.
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

Hi Vivian,

Although this may not be helpful to you in your situation I think the issues that you are having and the limited access to items in need is teaching at least me to gather up a few more items for the "spare parts" bin.

Hopefully you can find a converter, may have to look in some unusual places, think salvage yard, or hardware store, you just never know.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
          Well it is the converter his batteries did not charge last night. Now to try to find a converter somewhere. This trip has not been easy for issues.
          You may be already doing this, but while you look for a converter, you could keep swapping batteries between the two trailers. IE, use your converter to keep one battery charged, and the other battery on their trailer.
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Beachcamper In a pinch you can get a battery charger and use that. You will not find one with near as much output as the converter, but its better than nothing. As to your original question, no problem using the solar while on shore power. Charging sources all run on top of each other, and whatever has the highest voltage will be the "last" one to top off the batteries. When on shore I have my multiplus charging, solar charging, possibly a backup converter (I have one connected to Line 2 as a backup exactly for the situation your friend is in), and possibly even the truck if I am still hooked up.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have two heavy AGM batteries and he has one lead acid group 27. This would not be a good option.
              I am hoping this solar panel idea works
              until we locate a converter. The idea of finding a battery charger also is a great one until he can get to US

yep adding a converter to have along with suspension parts and of course a water pump (which I carry).
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

I have two heavy AGM batteries and he has one lead acid group 27. This would not be a good option.
                I am hoping this solar panel idea works
                until we locate a converter.

yep adding a converter to have along with suspension parts and of course a water pump (which I carry).
                His one lead acid 27 will charge fine on a battery charger as it will not take much in the way of charge rate anyway. Find a Napa or Autozone or Walmart and grab something, you might just want to keep an eye on the water levels.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Beachcamper when I re-did my electrical system, I completely removed the converter/charger. My current system runs ALL DC off the batteries. The solar panels (through the solar charge controller) charge the batteries when not connected to shore power or when the generator is not running.

So, yes, it is possible to run your DC components from your batteries without the converter.

It is also possible to charge your batteries from the solar charge controller (solar panels) without your charger. However, with a 100W panel, this would be a very slow process and the DC components may take more energy than your panel is providing - meaning the energy the panel is providing is not used to charge the battery(s), the energy is going directly to DC components.

Hope this helps.

**Side note: Because I run my shore power/generator through my multiplus first, then to the main distribution panel, the multiplus (which is an inverter/charger) charges the batteries when I am connected to shore power or using my generator. so, if I am parked in a location where my panels cannot see the sun, I can use generator or shore power to charge batteries. Note, the Multiplus does not run any DC components, all DC power comes from the batteries 100% of the time, however, the multiplus charges the batteries as the batteries power the DC components. With my system I really have no need for a converter charger at all.
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

So even if he is on shore power, you don’t think that 100
                    wat panel would keep battery topped off?
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper it would depend how much he is using but I'd doubt it. If his fridge is 12v definitely not.

Neil Citro

Comment

So even if he is on shore power, you don’t think that 100
                        wat panel would keep battery topped off?
                        Probably not because the converter wouldn't be converting AC to DC. All DC would come from battery. I'm with Neil, I don't think the 100W panel could supply enough energy to keep up.
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Anyone know how to access the outlet the converter for a 337rls?
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                            Beachcamper it would depend how much he is using but I'd doubt it. If his fridge is 12v definitely not.
                            his is a 2017 model so gas/electric

Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Hi Vivian,

As Neil has noted . . . a “converter” is just the RV name for what everyone else calls a “battery charger”. The converter is plugged into a 120V outlet on the back of the main power panel. You should be able to find a reasonable size battery charger that will get the job done.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X