Lithium and Solar Upgrade - 2023 303RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium and Solar Upgrade - 2023 303RLS

We picked up our new 303RLS on Monday and I'm about to get started doing some upgrades to the electrical system. First off, I want to thank Jomani for his videos outlining the inverter prep and how the electrical panel is wired, very helpful for understanding how the outlets in the rig are powered. I am doing my upgrades in stages. Just before going on a three week trip in mid August I installed a LiTime 230AH LiFePo4 battery and a Victron 100/50 Smart Solar Controller in our Jayco travel trailer to replace an older PWM controller and two Crown CR235 6V Golf Cart Batteries. The Jayco had 540 watts of solar and a 2000W Samlex PST-2000 inverter. System has worked flawlessly for five years. Anyway, the LiTime battery and Victron controller worked great on the three week trip. I pulled the Victron and LiTime battery from the Jayco before I sold it and bought another LiTime 230AH battery which was delivered yesterday. I took measurements today and tomorrow will cut a plywood board to mount the batteries to. I ordered interconnect cables for the batteries and they arrived today so I should be able to get them mounted tomorrow. For the time being, I will use the existing wiring as is until I install an inverter. I have not decided on whether I'll switch out the Furrion for the Victron controller right now or wait until I do some more upgrades. For the inverter, I'm considering a couple of options. I might be able to buy back my Samlex inverter for a good price, and install it and a transfer switch. The Samlex PST-2000 inverter is a tank and has operated flawlessly. The other option I'm considering is the Victron Multiplus II 3K 120V. This is the one with the 120AC inputs and outputs, not the 120X2 that lets you power the whole 50A panel. The only thing I want to power is the outlets, GFCI outlets and microwave and those three breakers are powered by the inverter prep circuit, so I see no need to power the whole 50A panel. I will NOT be powering the AC's or Fireplace using the inverter and battery bank. It's interesting that our unit was produced in May 2023 apparently at the end of the 2023 production run, because some of the 2024 changes made it into our unit. One helpful one for the electrical system is that they have moved the converter to the front compartment on the wall right next to the Furrion Solar Controller and it is now a Progressive Dynamics 9360 which allows you to change charging algorithms between FLA, AGM, Lithium and Constant Voltage. Sorry to have run on and on, but just looking for anything I may be missing concerning Inverter choice, etc. No matter which way I go, I intend to use a Victron Lynx Power In Busbar, Blue Sea Systems Battery Disconnect, 300A or 400A Class T Fuse (depends on inverter selection), 4/0 or 2/0 cabling (depends on inverter selection) and a Victron SmartShunt with battery temp sensor to signal the SmartSolar controller to cease charging at low temps.
    2023 Reflection 303RLS
    2017 Ford F-250 6.7 Crew Cab Short Bed
    B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck
    Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

tbwilliams

If you go with the Victron equipment, go one step further and integrate everything with a GX device. Having the ability to monitor everything happening (for a geek like me) worth every penny.

When you do finally decide what to do, please do the forum the favor of documenting the install (with pictures) so others will have the benefit of any lessons learned, etc.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

tbwilliams What you are describing should work fine but a note on the Multiplus. One of the benefits to wiring the whole 50 amp panel through the inverter (for Victron anyway) is power assist. You may not ever run the air conditioner or fireplace off of the inverter, but if you're ever on 20 or 30 amp service, power assist can be a great help. Unfortunately it can only really do it's thing if you pass the whole label through it.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        tbwilliams

If you go with the Victron equipment, go one step further and integrate everything with a GX device. Having the ability to monitor everything happening (for a geek like me) worth every penny.

When you do finally decide what to do, please do the forum the favor of documenting the install (with pictures) so others will have the benefit of any lessons learned, etc.

Howard

I agree, I’ve looked at the Cerbo GX with the 5” display unit and that looks like it would be a great option. While using the Victron SmartSolar Controller, all the information was readily available on my phone and that was really handy.
        2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

tbwilliams The is a new Cerbo-S that's a bit cheaper at the cost of a few IO ports that are not normally used in an RV. The screen is a separate option, I personally really like it, particularly for when people are in my rig that dont have the app, but that said the Cerbo will work with no display to save some money if you are okay with just viewing the remote console on your phone.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
            tbwilliams The is a new Cerbo-S that's a bit cheaper at the cost of a few IO ports that are not normally used in an RV. The screen is a separate option, I personally really like it, particularly for when people are in my rig that dont have the app, but that said the Cerbo will work with no display to save some money if you are okay with just viewing the remote console on your phone.
            That’s good to know, I don’t envision using those ports and it will save me a little money, maybe go with the 7” display rather than the 5”….Hmmm!
            2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Today I upgraded the battery that came with the rig (90Ah FLA) to a 460Ah battery bank consisting of two 230Ah LiTime LiFePo4 batteries wired in parallel. I cut a piece of plywood to fit the batteries and the floor in the front compartment. Covered the plywood with outdoor carpet and secured the batteries and plywood with pieces of angle aluminum and two battery straps. Changed the converter over to Lithium mode an changed the Furrion solar control to lithium. Reprogrammed the Furrion Battery Monitor to the new specs and everything seems to be running well. Attached are some photos I took during the process.
              2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

tbwilliams -- clean install, nice work! Thanks for the pics.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

tbwilliams

Could you provide information on the straps that you used along with the brackets on the ends?

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by tbwilliams View Post
                    That’s good to know, I don’t envision using those ports and it will save me a little money, maybe go with the 7” display rather than the 5”….Hmmm!
                    Yeah if you're going to do a screen, I find the 7"worth it for the extra real estate. Especially if you're thinking of adding any sensors like mopeka or Ruuvi tags. It's nice to have the extra space.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      tbwilliams

Could you provide information on the straps that you used along with the brackets on the ends?

Brian
                      The straps are a kit I bought off Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0823KP1MM...roduct_details. I bought a 48” piece of 3/4” aluminum angle at Home Depot for the brackets. The idea for the strap kit was from another post on the forum that I had read, concerning securing batteries. Hope that helps.
                      2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                        tbwilliams What you are describing should work fine but a note on the Multiplus. One of the benefits to wiring the whole 50 amp panel through the inverter (for Victron anyway) is power assist. You may not ever run the air conditioner or fireplace off of the inverter, but if you're ever on 20 or 30 amp service, power assist can be a great help. Unfortunately it can only really do it's thing if you pass the whole label through it.
                        ncitro - Since the price of the Multiplus II 120V and the Multiplus II 2x120 are close, is it possible to wire the 120x2 version with just one leg of input and output using the GD provided inverter prep loop initially and then later down the road pull new wires and wire it using both legs of input and output to power the whole panel?
                        2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

ncitro - Since the price of the Multiplus II 120V and the Multiplus II 2x120 are close, is it possible to wire the 120x2 version with just one leg of input and output using the GD provided inverter prep loop initially and then later down the road pull new wires and wire it using both legs of input and output to power the whole panel?
                          I'm not positive but I would think so. That said for the cost of any Multiplus, 25' of 6/4 SO wire is $160, and then you're done.

25 Feet 6/4 SOOW Cable Cord Wire - 6 Gauge 6 AWG 4 Conductor 600V Portable Power Extension Cord Cable with Ultra Flexible CPD Insulation Jacket https://a.co/d/8ERgBBx

Neil Citro

Comment

You would think this is possible. I'm with Neil, for a few bucks more I would just get the 6/4 and wire both sides all at once.
                            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Did a couple of updates today. Installed a solar disconnect switch ahead of the solar controller and replaced the Furrion 50A controller with my Victron SmartSolar 100/50 controller. Now I can actually monitor what’s happening with the controller.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1565.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	121419

Attached Files
                              Last edited by tbwilliams; 10-07-2023, 03:26 PM.
                              2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                              X