Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grainy TV reception on Living Room TV only

Hi All,

I’m seeking troubleshooting tips for an issue I’m having with cable TV reception in the living room of my 2018 Reflection 311BHS. This TV is not in a slide. The ½ bath is located behind the TV/Entertainment center.

The issue is I intermittently experience grainy TV reception when connected to the park cable system on the living room TV only. It’s been going on for several years. When I say it’s intermittent, one trip it will be fine but the next I’ll experience the issue. Once the symptom appears at a park, I’m never able to get it to clear up while at that park. While at the next park, maybe months later (we’re weekenders), the reception could be fine (or still be grainy. Again, intermittent).

Here are the steps I’ve taken to troubleshoot when I’ve experienced grainy reception via cable TV connection:
    1. Ensured the antenna booster switch, located in the master bedroom is off. Tried it ‘On’ but as expected, did not help.
    2. Turned off all appliances – AC, Microwave, MaxAir fans, etc and the problem persists.
    3. Ran my cable TV coax cable from the park pedestal in through the kitchen window and connected directly to the Living Room TV. The reception is fine.
    4. I have a small TV that is mainly used in the bedroom. I’ve connected it to the following locations:
      1. Living room wall coax. Result: Grainy reception (same result as the ‘big’ TV)
      2. Master bedroom coax. Result: Clear reception
      3. Outdoor front storage coax. Result: Clear reception
      4. I forgot there is a connection in the bunkhouse, which would be the last ‘run’, in my opinion, so I’ve not tested there
    5. I’ve removed the coax faceplates at locations 1 - 3 to check the connections and all coax connections are secure.

I’m at a loss as to where the interference is coming from but suspect it’s a loose connection somewhere behind the living room TV but have no idea how to get to it other than pull cables from the outlet box, but I did not come across any splitters or connections in the wall. I’m at a loss where else to look.

Any guidance, tips, suggestions appreciated.

Thank you,
    Robert

Robert
    2018 Reflection 311BHS

Originally posted by rthorntontx View Post
    I’m seeking troubleshooting tips for an issue I’m having with cable TV reception in the living room of my 2018 Reflection 311BHS. ​
    Sure sounds like a loose connection somewhere in the wiring. Not unusual. When I was working on a project under the camper I found (and checked) every connection. Found multiple that were loose. For the full story, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ram-19-315rlts

Your trailer will be wired differently (obviously). Peeling back the coroplast will be required as the majority of the connectors are below the floor but above the underbelly (aka "coroplast").

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

First of all, your post is probably the most well documented trouble-shooting I've seen in a long time. You've pretty much answered all my questions and this helps narrow it down to very few potential items. As Howard howson mentioned, it's really pointing to a loose or defective connection. I found three connections in the underbelly of my 2016 Reflection 297RSTS which were very loose when I was working under there. Once I tightened them, my interference problem went away.

You'll likely have to loosen the underbelly and take a peek inside to see where yours may be located. Here's a picture of the offending connections in ours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable Connections.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	122348

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you Howard and Jim! Looks like my first trip to the under belly of my RV is in order!

Thank you,
        Robert
        Robert
        2018 Reflection 311BHS

Comment

I would bet the coax end is not crimped correctly at one end. Most likely a few of the shield strands were not folded down correctly. I'd replace the ends.
          Jim & Kathy
          2022 Imagine 2600RB
          2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
          trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Comment

Thank you Jim and Kathy
            Robert
            2018 Reflection 311BHS

Comment

Working...
            X