Ferrules on Inverter Wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrules on Inverter Wires?

Short video posted by Garret Towne from AMSolar. (Spoiler alert -- the answer is "no".)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gSctkKaGbYA

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	485.9 KB ID:	123087
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

IMO, bad advice. Small gauge wire under screw terminals are notorious for breaking off strands and reducing wire capability. Not sure I believe his theory on 'spring back' Stranded wire under screw terminals generally splay out.

(you know what they say about opinions...lol)
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Well, The ferrules are used to ensure there are no stray wires floating around to cause shorts.

As for spring back and vibration, the company I work for has equipment with something like 5km of wire and easily 500 connections in the main control panel. ALL of these use ferrules. Those V8 Mercedes diesel power plants are not smooth either along with the hydraulic actuators used to raise and lower them.

Come to think of it I believe all of the mobile cranes use ferrules on those connections also.

IIRC, for the wire to have spring back, the ends need to be fixed otherwise the wires just slide past each other.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I agree with Scott'n'Wendy and Jlawles2 about the strands. I use ferrules on most all of my connections where stranded wire is being used. A properly torqued fitting will not vibrate loose and I know the strands are intact.
        Jim & Kathy
        2022 Imagine 2600RB
        2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
        trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Comment

Working...
        X