Batteries not charging.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries not charging.

2022 22MLE. Couple of months ago, walked into our camper and the 12 volt was out. Batteries were dead. They were two years old so I bought new batteries. All systems came back. Always plugged into shore power. 2 weeks all good. 12v out again. I’m guessing the converter/charger is bad. I think it’s built into the power panel. Anyone have guidance on the right way to find and check this component?

Originally posted by Rocket1958 View Post
    2022 22MLE. Couple of months ago, walked into our camper and the 12 volt was out. Batteries were dead. They were two years old so I bought new batteries. All systems came back. Always plugged into shore power. 2 weeks all good. 12v out again. I’m guessing the converter/charger is bad. I think it’s built into the power panel. Anyone have guidance on the right way to find and check this component?
    Are you sure the battery disconnect is ON (key cannot be removed)? If the key just falls out (or it's obvious the disconnect is OFF) the battery will not be charged by the converter.

Note even with the disconnect OFF there are still systems powered by the trailer that will drain the battery. In effect the Battery Disconnect is only between the battery and Power Center (where all the breakers and fuses are located). There are plenty of systems wired directly to the battery (and protected by their own fuses or self-resetting circuit breakers).

The only way to keep the battery from draining when stored for a period longer than about a week (if disconnected from shore power) is to remove the negative from the battery. Or, as many of us here have done, install a true battery disconnect switch.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If there is a circuit breaker in the power panel for the converter turn it off then check battery voltage with a multimeter, then turn back on and check battery voltage again. If there is a rise in voltage with the converter breaker on then the converter is working. You might see 13 volts or higher with the converter on. This test is done while shore power is connected, and can also be done with the battery disconnect key as mentioned above.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here is the trouble-shooting flow chart from WFCO on the 8700 series converter/chargers. If you have a different model, let me know and I'll get you the correct flow chart.

https://www.wfcotech.com/wp-content/...700-Series.pdf

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
        X